Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > XLR and XLR-V
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: XLR worth its $70,000 Price Tag?
I'll pay anything to get the XLR 7 25.00%
Hell Not worth it 7 25.00%
hell yes includes all positive answers 3 10.71%
hell no includes all negative answers 1 3.57%
I don't give a fuck about the price I want this car 5 17.86%
I don't Give a fuck about the price, I hate this car 1 3.57%
Neutral 0 0%
Options 1, 3 and 5 1 3.57%
Options 2, 4, and 6 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 12:03 AM   #31
TheScientist
Banned

To Jimster: Yeah, I've agreed with you that Mercedes has gone downhill, many of the people i know who own one say they have. You were saying they rushed through building the car just to get a quantity quota filled, missing the final touches of the car, which was what i was looking to say hehe. It reminds me of the videogame Driver2, Infogrammes and Reflections we're in such a rush to get the game out, that there were way too many flaws when I played the game.
Get out often too with your off-road rides heheh, which would you say handled the best off-road?

To gonenuts: The as said by other people here, the GMC's and the Chevy SUVs were only built for road haulin' and people haulin', and tough traction driving on roads. Whatever they say in the car magazines are just opinions and perspectives on cars by the editors and the testers. Everyone thinks different; some group may think the GM SUVs handle well, some may think they handle horrible, but the majority outcome said they handled terribly. The reason they say is its heavy-ass causes too much drift, along with the extra torque in the rear wheels. As Jimster said, an example that GM SUVs don't handle well off-road is the H2. Their advertisements are bull. I've seen many H2's get fucked up trying off-road (yes I do remember that H2 that broke its front axle on a bunch of large rocks ). The Tahoes in teh military are only used to transport groups of soldiers, just for on-road transport. They don't use them for heavy off-roading like they use the Humvees for, because they know it doesn't handle well and isn't worthy of heavy off-roading. And if they are used like the Humvees, they are definitely modified. I do have more to say but I have too much information running in my head.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:17 AM   #32
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Re: XLR worth the $70,000 Price Tag?

Offroad weapon of choice: Land Rover Defender 90

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 07-28-2004, 10:44 PM   #33
TheScientist
Banned

What about the Range Rover, the Discovery and the Freelander? I've seen them all in action in videos of the Land Rover Challenges, but not that many Range Rovers. Are they good off-road and follow up with Land Rover's reputation of good off-roaders or are they just big Bentley-like SUVs?

Oh and can you fix the poll, I think I put too many choices hehe, just remove the hell yes and hell no stuff, and the options with the number choices. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:48 PM   #34
martinhutnik
AF Regular

hmmmmm , mercedes is nothin impressive at all too me. ppl paying the extra 20 g's cuz of the name. each letter of the name costs about 1.2k.
furthermore, gmc's like the yukon dont look like off road type vehicles nor r they intended to b offroad vehicles...and since ur bad mouthin the american cars, im sure there are similar shitty cars on the import side.
also, american cars to me anywayz r more conservative autos, more for ppl witout a lot of money. I have a couple american cars and had imports b4, and seriouesly american cars r cheaper and easier to fix, and laast long than imports. Ive experienced this and others than i know had too.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:06 PM   #35
HandofDoom
AF Regular

goenuts,u might as well just shut the hell up while your ahead.i respect that your a GM guys but u really sound like a jackass and insulting a mod which isnt exactly smart if you like this place.
Jimster,gotta hand it to ya,u know your shit but reading many of your posts has lead me to believe that the only reason you like Chrylers is because there now owned by benz.no offense,but admit,u ARE european car bias.u cant tell me that your not.Chrylers are junk compared to there GM competitors.My brother works at a very large chryler dealership.According to him they have newish('00-'04) Chryslers in there eveyday,and he also said many of them consist of the new 300.I test drove one.there very cheep.interior materials are the cheepest i have ever seen in a luxury car.it doesnt compare to any caddy(its GM compertitor)for a brand new car it had some squeeks and rattles that no new car should have.and my 1990 coupe deville rides better than this thing does.dont get me wrong though,its one of the coolest looking cars out there,but its cheeply made.and wait till the new STS comes out,all those 300's will be back at the dealers as trade-ins.i remember when i test drove the 300 back when it first came out.all the dumbass salesmen where getting happy vecause it had power and heated seats.and that the radio stayed on when you shut the car off.benz had that in '75.

one more thing,y does just about every thread at this place always go off topic,im not complaining,i think its funny
Old 08-08-2004, 09:08 PM   #36
HandofDoom
AF Regular

Oh and about the hummer thing,the H2 is a pretty boys truck.dey meant fo some 20-foes playa.you want the real deal you gotta go for the H1.its the best off roader out there
Old 08-09-2004, 02:02 PM   #37
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gonenuts15792 Send a message via Yahoo to gonenuts15792

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofDoom
goenuts,u might as well just shut the hell up while your ahead.i respect that your a GM guys but u really sound like a jackass and insulting a mod which isnt exactly smart if you like this place.
Jimster,gotta hand it to ya,u know your shit but reading many of your posts has lead me to believe that the only reason you like Chrylers is because there now owned by benz.no offense,but admit,u ARE european car bias.u cant tell me that your not.Chrylers are junk compared to there GM competitors.My brother works at a very large chryler dealership.According to him they have newish('00-'04) Chryslers in there eveyday,and he also said many of them consist of the new 300.I test drove one.there very cheep.interior materials are the cheepest i have ever seen in a luxury car.it doesnt compare to any caddy(its GM compertitor)for a brand new car it had some squeeks and rattles that no new car should have.and my 1990 coupe deville rides better than this thing does.dont get me wrong though,its one of the coolest looking cars out there,but its cheeply made.and wait till the new STS comes out,all those 300's will be back at the dealers as trade-ins.i remember when i test drove the 300 back when it first came out.all the dumbass salesmen where getting happy vecause it had power and heated seats.and that the radio stayed on when you shut the car off.benz had that in '75.

one more thing,y does just about every thread at this place always go off topic,im not complaining,i think its funny

Thank You, I appreciate your advice. Although I really don't care if hes a mod or not, I speak my mind, and he's the only person on this whole board that I truly dislike, if he even said one good thing about GM (excluding the Corvette, because just about everyone, thinks its cool, even if they don't know jack about them)I think I would drop dead. I agree that the GMC Denali and a lot of the other GM SUVS aren't made for serious off roading such as rock climbing and going through 4 feet of water, but when your going through deep snow or mud, which I do a lot up here where I live it definitely gets the job done. I own a Suburban 2500, and it goes through all that with no problem, and on top of that can tow just about any trailer, show me a BMW, Toyota, Honda, Mercedes or a Nissan that can do that.

Old 08-09-2004, 02:07 PM   #38
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gonenuts15792 Send a message via Yahoo to gonenuts15792

The Hummer H2 is one of the most annoying SUVs out there. Theres this guy that drives a bright yellow one around town here, and nothing scream small dick like that. He'll park it at the farthest end of the parking lot, so that nobody can touch it, and then does his little walk into the store. I can garuantee that that Hummer probably hasn't even seen rain before. One of these days I hope someone goes over and puts a long scratch right down the side. He'll also drive through town about 7 times in less than 2 hours, just to show off. He's got some serious problems.

Old 08-09-2004, 04:01 PM   #39
DiabloGT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScientist
To Jimster: Yeah, I've agreed with you that Mercedes has gone downhill, many of the people i know who own one say they have. You were saying they rushed through building the car just to get a quantity quota filled, missing the final touches of the car, which was what i was looking to say hehe. It reminds me of the videogame Driver2, Infogrammes and Reflections we're in such a rush to get the game out, that there were way too many flaws when I played the game.
Get out often too with your off-road rides heheh, which would you say handled the best off-road?

To gonenuts: The as said by other people here, the GMC's and the Chevy SUVs were only built for road haulin' and people haulin', and tough traction driving on roads. Whatever they say in the car magazines are just opinions and perspectives on cars by the editors and the testers. Everyone thinks different; some group may think the GM SUVs handle well, some may think they handle horrible, but the majority outcome said they handled terribly. The reason they say is its heavy-ass causes too much drift, along with the extra torque in the rear wheels. As Jimster said, an example that GM SUVs don't handle well off-road is the H2. Their advertisements are bull. I've seen many H2's get fucked up trying off-road (yes I do remember that H2 that broke its front axle on a bunch of large rocks ). The Tahoes in teh military are only used to transport groups of soldiers, just for on-road transport. They don't use them for heavy off-roading like they use the Humvees for, because they know it doesn't handle well and isn't worthy of heavy off-roading. And if they are used like the Humvees, they are definitely modified. I do have more to say but I have too much information running in my head.
so what SUV's besides the H1 do you think are good?

P.s. dont bs and say some $hitty jap import suv...
Old 08-12-2004, 02:25 AM   #40
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Re: Re: XLR worth the $70,000 Price Tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonenuts15792
Thank You, I appreciate your advice. Although I really don't care if hes a mod or not, I speak my mind, and he's the only person on this whole board that I truly dislike, if he even said one good thing about GM (excluding the Corvette, because just about everyone, thinks its cool, even if they don't know jack about them)I think I would drop dead. I agree that the GMC Denali and a lot of the other GM SUVS aren't made for serious off roading such as rock climbing and going through 4 feet of water, but when your going through deep snow or mud, which I do a lot up here where I live it definitely gets the job done. I own a Suburban 2500, and it goes through all that with no problem, and on top of that can tow just about any trailer, show me a BMW, Toyota, Honda, Mercedes or a Nissan that can do that.
BMW and Honda- it aint going to happen- both of those makers build road cars and sports cars, thier SUV's/SAV's are smooth riding and nice cars, but by no means should the word "Utility" feature in thier name.

However, I would like to point you towards:

The Toyota Landcruiser: Choice car of any man in the Australian Outback, 4.2 Turbo diesel is excellent for towing.

Toyota Tundra: A bigger Hilux, 'nuff said.

Toyota Hilux: Choice car of every farmer- Can tow almost anything, go over 1 million Km's and never fails to start.

Nissan Patrol: The UN's desert-mobile, with a gutsy 4.5 Litre Diesel can tow anything.

Mercedes Benz G55 AMG (The Geladnewagen was a military vehicle): I don't even need to begin to describe the torque that Mercedes Benz cars put out....

Nissan Pathfinder: While the engine lacks the guts for towing, it'll certainly go anywhere.

I've liked Chryslers/Dodges since well before the Benz days.

There's yet to be a Jeep I don't like

The Omni was an amazingly cool little car (and a sleeper)

The Viper was pre-Benz and certainly had attitude

The old Chryslers (Especially the 300 series and Crown models) were wicked cars, that probably best refleted on the American culture at the time.

Anything with a Hemi V8 is great, but special mention has to go to the Superbird....

Like I said, Chrysler have always been one step ahead of GM and Ford. If anything Benzes stinginess with the lastest platforms is bringing Chrysler down.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Old 08-12-2004, 02:35 AM   #41
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

The XLR is a very stylish car in line with a Jaguar XK8 convertible or a Lexus SC430 in idea and approach. It's certainly a little overpriced considering Caddy is supposedly "better car for a better price", but I think it delivers very well on its promise of a fun to drive and luxurious 2 seat convertible.

Personally, though, I can't wait for the rumored XLR-V. It should be an exciting car, if the CTS-V has been any indication.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:04 PM   #42
TheScientist
Banned

Re: Re: XLR worth the $70,000 Price Tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloGT
so what SUV's besides the H1 do you think are good?

P.s. dont bs and say some $hitty jap import suv...
Honestly I think the Japs do decently on off-roading. The only good vehicles that I know of for off-roading are only the rally versions of the Lancer and the Impreza; and Nissan's and Toyota's SUVs. Subaru also makes some well capable off-roading vehicles, and are decent. Because I've seen a Pathfinder do some pretty heavy off-roading, and it did it gracefully. the Toyota Land Cruiser is also well known for off-roading.

But the best SUVs and off-rading vehicles I'd say are Jeep and Land Rover. Their history of well-made and capable off-road ability dates back to around the WWI. Back then, they had the Willy's Jeep, which later formed into Jeep; and Land Rover's Series 1. Today, they both make pretty decent off-raoding machines, yet I still think Land Rover over Jeep. Jeep has the good late-Cherokee; the Grand Cherokee, which I think is just becoming another one of those road haulin' luxury SUVs; the new Liberty, is a bit top heavy and looks like it could tip on a steap angle; and the ever so classic Wrangler. Land Rover I think is the best off-road choice of today's cars. They have great SUVs that have unmatched rivals in comparison to great off-road vehicles. They have the Discovery; the Freelander; the Range Rover which is literally an off-road Bentley because of the interior; and the Defender which is well known for it's off-road capability, and is the choice of many people throughout the world. I've seen videos of Land Rover Challenges, where people go all over the world to test Land Rover's capabilites off-road. I believe they use the whole line up of Land Rover. What I saw in those videos were amazing. Several Discoverys and other Land Rovers did a hill descent, at 20 MPHs down a 100 to 120 degree slope; go over sand dunes, 3 ft deep mud and water; all non-modified Land Rovers.

The next truck that I think also does well, is the truck Jimster named: the Mercedes Gelandewagon. It was used as a military vehicle and I think still is in certain parts of the world. I've also seen some people and natualists use the G-Wagon out in the savannah of Africa.

I also think Audi's All-Road Quattro is certainly a decent off-road machine, for Audi's Legenday Quattro All-WHeel drive. If Audi makes an SUV which i think they should, it would be sure to make a good rival to Land Rover and Jeep's off-road capability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimster
BMW and Honda- it aint going to happen- both of those makers build road cars and sports cars, thier SUV's/SAV's are smooth riding and nice cars, but by no means should the word "Utility" feature in thier name.
That's why BMW named their X-series SAVs for Sports Activity Vehicles. Yet I've seen some X5's and X3's do decently off-roading, but not as good as some other trucks and SUVs.

Quote:
The old Chryslers (Especially the 300 series and Crown models) were wicked cars, that probably best refleted on the American culture at the time.

I remember one saying about a 1970 Chrysler Newport, that their engines were literally indestructable. THey were like the BMWs of the US at the time.

Funny how this thread went from talking about the XLR being too pricey, to the argument of showing gonenuts a few things.

Last edited by TheScientist; 08-12-2004 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:35 PM   #43
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

However, I would like to point you towards:

The Toyota Landcruiser: Choice car of any man in the Australian Outback, 4.2 Turbo diesel is excellent for towing.

Toyota Tundra: A bigger Hilux, 'nuff said.

Toyota Hilux: Choice car of every farmer- Can tow almost anything, go over 1 million Km's and never fails to start.

Nissan Patrol: The UN's desert-mobile, with a gutsy 4.5 Litre Diesel can tow anything.

Mercedes Benz G55 AMG (The Geladnewagen was a military vehicle): I don't even need to begin to describe the torque that Mercedes Benz cars put out....

Nissan Pathfinder: While the engine lacks the guts for towing, it'll certainly go anywhere.

I've liked Chryslers/Dodges since well before the Benz days.

There's yet to be a Jeep I don't like

The Omni was an amazingly cool little car (and a sleeper)

The Viper was pre-Benz and certainly had attitude

Anything with a Hemi V8 is great, but special mention has to go to the Superbird....

Like I said, Chrysler have always been one step ahead of GM and Ford. If anything Benzes stinginess with the lastest platforms is bringing Chrysler down.

Leave out the cars that can't be purchased here in the U.S. and your choices are very limited.

The Toyota Land Cruiser is not available here with the Diesel and the Towing Capacity is only 6,500 LBS, The Suburban which is a lot cheaper can tow 8,200 LBS at the least.

The Toyota Tundra Extended can only tow 7,100 LBS, The Chevrolet Silverado Extended can tow 7,100 LBS with the Fuel Saving Gear Ratio or with the Towing Gear Ratio it can tow 8,100 LBS.

Toyota Hilux, you can't get here in the U.S. so it doesn't count.

Nissan Patrol is not available here and is not a Civilian Vehicle according to your information.

I don't know anything about the Mercedes Benz G55 AMG, but when I do I'll be sure to post.

The Nissan Pathfinder is a kid carrier and nothing more, I've seen those things get stuck in the snow up here all the time.

The Jeeps can't tow hardly anything and have way over rated tow ratings, not to mention they lack in interior room.

Any Kid on the Block likes a viper, even though for a hell of a lot less you can get a corvette that can do just about everything that the Viper can and is a lot more civilized when it does.

I have to agree with you about the old chryslers being nice cars.

Your mention about Chrysler being one step ahead of GM and Ford is bull, Chysler has a terrible long term reliability, and according to AutoWeek and Car & Driver some of the interior materials in the recent 300c and crossfire are terribly cheap.

Old 08-12-2004, 01:39 PM   #44
gonenuts15792
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: XLR worth the $70,000 Price Tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScientist
Funny how this thread went from talking about the XLR being too pricey, to the argument of showing gonenuts a few things.
Oh, so funny, I'm rolling over laughing.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:02 PM   #45
TheScientist
Banned

i kno right?

loser

Oh and it doesnt quite matter which cars are available in the US and not. You never specified whether the choices be available in US or not, so Jimster gave you choices of BMWs, Hondas, Nissans etc to name for good SUVs jsut as you asked.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cadillac > XLR and XLR-V