Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Azera
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
lothian
AF Newbie

Stuck Compressor Clutch Plate: Suggestions on Removal

2006 Hyundai Azera
145k miles

I just climbed out from under this car. And with filthy fingers and brow furrowed in frustration, I bang this solicitation for suggestions into the keyboard. Here goes...

The field coil on the compressor is bad. I need to replace it. I have the car on jack stands with the compressor dangling from its hoses. I've removed the 8mm fastener in the center of the clutch plate. And that is as far as I have gotten.

The clutch plate will not come off. Period.

The pulley spins freely; the clutch plate spins freely. But the thing will not release from the spines that hold it to the compressor shaft. I've sprayed WD-40 where I can, whacked the clutch with a ball-peen hammer, and pried at the edges against my intuition ...all for the past hour, at least. Yet...

The clutch plate will not come off.

Unlike brake rotors, there are no holes in the clutch plate to thread in bolts to push the thing away from the hub (...stupid Hyundai).

I am officially stymied.
Suggestions? Recommendations?

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by lothian; 11-15-2018 at 12:36 PM.
lothian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Stuck Compressor Clutch Plate: Suggestions on Removal

Jaw gear puller https://goo.gl/images/F6uhPF
Most autoparts have "loan a tool" program. Not WD40. You need pentrating oil like PBlaster.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
lothian
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleekat View Post
Jaw gear puller...
Nope... can't use a puller to remove the clutch plate, at least with this model compressor.

Here's how it works:
The clutch plate fits into the pulley via spline'd fitting; it's held against the pulley with an 8mm fastener into the compressor shaft. The clutch plate typically just slips off the compressor shaft. Not for me, though... which sucks balls.

The compressor pulley is secured to, and prevented from moving along, the compressor shaft by a snap ring. The three-jawed puller may be used only after the snap ring is removed, and only to draw the pulley from the compressor shaft. I'll definitely be using a puller then.

Thanks for your suggestion about PBblaster. I'll soak the plate best I can with that stuff and let it sit overnight.

I swear... why must the simplest chores become the most time hemorrhaging hassles...
I hate rust. And gravity.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #4
lothian
AF Newbie

'twas complicated, but I figured it out. Because I'm tenacious. And cheap.

The clutch plate is made of three sections, each fastened by three rivets. I drilled out all the rivets and removed the hunks that they secured. With the metal detritus out of the way, I was able to access the retainer clip and remove it. I then used a jawed pullers to draw off the pulley. Stupid Hyundai.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
clutch , compressor , plate
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > Azera