Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > Politics, Investments & Current Affairs
Politics, Investments & Current Affairs Yea... title kind of explains what this forum is about.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 06:41 PM   #1
Zaphod Beeblebrox
AF Enthusiast

US draft?

Here just a little something I found on another message board and figured I'd share it with you guys. Here we go.

Pending Draft Legislation Targeted for Spring 2005

The Draft will Start in June 2005

There is pending legislation in the House and Senate (twin bills: S 89 and HR 163) which will time the program's initiation so the draft can begin at early as Spring 2005 -- just after the 2004 presidential election. The administration is quietly trying to get these bills passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections, so our action on this is needed immediately.

$28 million has been added to the 2004 Selective Service System (SSS) budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as June 15, 2005. Selective Service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the system, which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation. Please see website: www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html to view the sss annual performance plan - fiscal year 2004.

The Pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350 draft board positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide. Though this is an unpopular election year topic, military experts and influential members of congress are suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in Iraq and Afghanistan [and a permanent state of war on "terrorism"] proves accurate, the U.S. may have no choice but to draft.

Congress brought twin bills, S. 89 and HR 163 forward this year, entitled the Universal National Service Act of 2003, "to provide for the common defense by requiring that all young persons [age 18--26] in the United States, including women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian service in furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other purposes." These active bills currently sit in the committee on armed services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam era.

College and Canada will not be options. In December 2001, Canada and the U.S. signed a "smart border declaration," which could be used to keep would-be draft dodgers in. Signed by Canada's minister of foreign affairs, John Manley, and U.S. Homeland Security director, Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a 30-point plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement" of people entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft more equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher education as a shelter. Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of their current semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic year.

Even those voters who currently support US actions abroad may still object to this move, knowing their own children or grandchildren will not have a say about whether to fight. Not that it should make a difference, but this plan, among other things, eliminates higher education as a shelter and includes women in the draft.

The public has a right to air their opinions about such an important decision.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:38 PM   #2
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

Re: US draft?

although i think this is interesting information, it's now been posted 3 times. check out some the other postes if you want to gauge peoples opinions. Although it may be interesting to see if anyone has anything fresh to say?
Old 11-19-2004, 07:45 PM   #3
Zaphod Beeblebrox
AF Enthusiast

Damn, its already been posted? I'm a idiot.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:05 PM   #4
RedLightning
AF Enthusiast

gah the idiots on this board. There will be no draft. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=318769 read the last 2nd to last post. Anyways "only" 1200 people have died so far in Iraq, no need for a draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustmAce
Real emo kids kill themselves.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:10 PM   #5
Zaphod Beeblebrox
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: US draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLightning
gah the idiots on this board. There will be no draft. http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=318769 read the last 2nd to last post.
Gah, idiots complaining about idiots. I'm an idiot. Your an idiot. The whole damn world is filled with idiots.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:11 PM   #6
aloharocky
Banned

There is a waiting list just to get in the military, why would they want to draft? If anyone is worried about having to serve their country, practice your right to move to Canada, France, anywhere you like. You won't be missed.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:19 PM   #7
Zaphod Beeblebrox
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: US draft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloharocky
There is a waiting list just to get in the military, why would they want to draft? If anyone is worried about having to serve their country, practice your right to move to Canada, France, anywhere you like. You won't be missed.

Waiting list? Well, maybe for the Navy because right now they're downsizing but the Army is in need of soldiers. Anyway, I hear ya. People love to live in this country. Love to bitch about it. But when push comes to shove, would they wanna live somewhere else? Now this war maybe be unpopular but if you get that call (prolly unlikely) will you run like a bitch or server like a man [woman]?
Old 11-19-2004, 11:36 PM   #8
sivic02
AF Enthusiast

Personally I will run like a little bitch. This is not my war, i dont feel there is any reason why we should be in iraq. First of all there was never any proof of wmd so i think this whole, take over and have a new leader thing is a bunch of shit to cover up a fuckup. Also with the whole wmd thing, why do we have the right to have weapons that can bring a country to their knees but other countries cant have weapons with half the destructive power of a nuke? But no i will never serve for a country that tries to police the world, it isnt right for us to decide what other countries can and cannot do. What if there was a country like that back when america was rebelling from england? What if some country came in and said wait a second you cant do this, and wiped out most of our ancestors. It is not right for a country to interfere with another countrys affairs.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:41 PM   #9
Zaphod Beeblebrox
AF Enthusiast

I understand since this war [and president] are so unpopular. So if the war was worth fighting for you would you still run?
Old 11-19-2004, 11:41 PM   #10
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

Rocky.... Why The Hell Did You Ever Leave The Marines?
Old 11-19-2004, 11:45 PM   #11
sivic02
AF Enthusiast

If the war was worth fighting for, something like ww2 i would have no problem if i got drafted hell i might even sign myself up. If its for the greater good of mankind then im game, if its because some rich kid from texas fucked up and his daddy cant fix it so he tries to cover his lies with more lies then no i wont fight.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:03 AM   #12
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

Wwii... Some Egomaniac With A Technologically Advanced Military Started Invading A Bunch Of Other Countries To Plunder Their Resources With A Facade Of Liberation From The Tyranny Of The Jews And In The Interests Of Mankind.

Hmmmmmmm.... Think About It.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:08 AM   #13
Zaphod Beeblebrox
AF Enthusiast

lol.. I don't like Bush but I would never compare him to Hilter. How about comparing Sadam to Hitler?
Old 11-20-2004, 12:36 AM   #14
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

Never Said Anything About Bush....
Old 11-20-2004, 12:57 AM   #15
TRD2000
AF Enthusiast

ok i'm at work and don't have long so being fair will obligue.

years of sanctions imposed by western powers. attacks surrounding countries (with american built weaponry) in the interest of regaining territories lost due to new borders imposed by said western powers to conveniently cut off strategic or natural resources. In unifying my country i kill thousands, aparently with brutal methods. poison gas being one. it is said that i rig the voting system to achieve my political goals and that i kill or attempt to kill those in power before me. within my country many admire my leadership. Eventually my country is attacked by the US. Most information and stories regarding me could be seen to be heavily "censored", and it's reliability questioned. My home land is historically divided into a number of warring tribes and has long been forged by the sword so to speak.

my name is?

anyway i have got to go as i said i have work to do. For anyone who says i'm lying i have another one. I'm building an oil pipeline. I got this job by lying to the people who between them decided who to employ, telling them i knew what i was doing. I keep my job by continually finding other people to shift the focus of project failure onto. Whenever i can't shift the focus i blame bad information for the fact i havent achieved my goals or have done the wrong thing. as soon as i got my job i went into another country to further my financial position with the help of the oil industry, and i fully intend to take the wealth i gain back out of this country. Along the way i have had many obstacles though, including miscrients stealing and damaging my equipment. bastards are always thinking of new ways to damage and steal my stuff and so am I.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > Politics, Investments & Current Affairs