Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > MGB
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
wareagle2
AF Newbie

MGB Starter Relay

1973 MGB, will not start. From what I can determine (novice here) there is no juice getting to starter (lights don't dim when trying to start). Where is the starter relay? and how can I determine if that is what is causing the failure to start?
wareagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
KimMG
AF - Advisor

Re: MGB Starter Relay

The starter relay looks like a little can under the hood, mounted to the fender wall, on the firewall side of the fuse box.
Wiring diagrams are available at http://www.advanceautowire.com
Click on stock schematics. Make yourself a couple of enlarged copies, one for reference and one to make notes on as you check the circuit.
Now get out your test light and/or multimeter.
You should get power to the white/red wire when the ignition switch is in the start position.
The brown wire should always have power.
If the relay is working, you should have power to the white/brown wire when the ignition switch is in the start position.
The black wire should go to a good ground.
Make sure all connections are clean and secure. Use dielectric grease on all connections.
Check and make sure all the connections are clean and secure at the starter.

If the relay checks out ok, then it might be the solenoid.
KimMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:28 AM   #3
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Explain don't start? Does the starter crank the engine over and the engine not start or is the starter not turning when you attempt to start the engine? Do you hear any sounds when you try to start the engine, radio off?

If the starter isn't turning the engine over, find the start relay, be sure the transmission is in neutral and the handbrake on, hold a finger on the side on the start relay and have an assistant turn the ignition to the start position. If the start relay is working you should feel and hear a click. If it isn't clicking, connect a jumper cable with clips from the brown wire on the relay to the white/brown wire on the relay. If the engine turns over the starter and start solenoid are good. To test the relay connect the brown wire to (your 73 may have a Yellow/pink wire instead of a red/white wire) w/r or y/p. If the relay is good the starter will operate regardless of the ignition switch position. If everything works to this point there is a problem in the ignition switch, the seat belt sequential system (if you have a yellow/pink wire on the relay) or wiring between the switch and the start relay. You will need a tester with a light or a voltmeter and the wiring diagram to determine where you are losing the start voltage.

Let us know what happens.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
wareagle2
AF Newbie

Thank you for the help. I went out tonight and pushed on the wires into starter relay, making sure all were connected well and.....tried to start...YES! Thanks! That saved me some headaches.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:39 PM   #5
cbnjulie
AF Newbie

Hey War Eagle!!! I live in Auburn.
cbnjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
wareagle2
AF Newbie

Hey cbnjulie.....is it white and parked down from Catholic church? If not there is a good looking white rubber bumper sitting out in front of those apartments!
Old 05-18-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
Foundation
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: MGB Starter Relay

Found this tread while looking for help with getting my 74 B started. Here is what I have.
1. 1974 B.
2. Couldn't get it started last fall. When I turned the ignition switch, nothing happened. Checked battery, good. Too cold to work on it in an un heated garage up here so I put it away for the winter.
3. Did research over the winter and came to the conclusion the problem was the ignition switch so I bought a new one this spring and installed it. Note: All wire colors match.
4. Hooked up the fully charged battery. Alt dash light came on without key in the ignition. Turned key to ACC, light stays on.
5. Turned key to "run" position, light goes out but no other noise/activity (i.e. fuel pump doesn't run)
6. Turn key to "start" position, fuel pump clicks about six times then quits, a "squealing noise comes from behind the radio (An aftermarket with speakers in the back) but no starter activity.
7. Tested solenoid with mutimetre, got same reading as at battery.
8. Removed solenoid, cleaned all contacts and reinstalled. Same result.
9. Found this thread and moved on to test the starter relay. First tried cleaning all contacts. Same result. Nothing.
10. Used a jumper cable to connect the brown and the brown/white wires, per the suggestions in this thread. Lots of clicking from the solenoid (?) but starter still didn't respond. Also very "hot' smell. When I went to disconnect the battery, the positive clamp was very hot.

So, here I am. Any suggestions? Bad or jammed starter?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!
Foundation is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > MGB