Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #1
Fortran
AF Newbie

1991 Astro - Manually Opening Back Door from the Inside

Hello,

I have a 1991 Chevy Astro van. I need to replace or at least check a bulb in the taillight. The problem is, far as I know, one needs to open the rear door to remove the tail light covering. My back door/hatch does not work. The outside handle just kind of flops around uselessly.

After doing some research online, it seemed that I should be able to manually trip the lock from the inside if I removed the back panel. I did that. I can see the locking/door mechanisms, but am not really sure how one manually would open it from there. First, I would like to apologize for my poor descriptions, I do not know the technical terms. At the top of compartment (the one containing the necessary components to lock and open the door), there is a fixture with two rods. One seems responsible for locking the door - this works fine. The other, I presume, is responsible for opening the door. This appears broken - it is attached at the top, but not connected to anything at the bottom (normally it would be connected to the handle I am guessing). How can I mimic the function of this broken rod (the linkage rod maybe?), or, at any rate, get my door to open. Right now I am less concerned about fixing it properly, and more concerned about just getting it open so I can fix my light.

Thanks.
Fortran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1991 Astro - Manually Opening Back Door from the Inside

You will have to "fish" for the hole that the rod goes through-- when slamming the door, the rod can fall out-- that is why you tell your wife to never slam shut those doors...
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:25 AM   #3
SomeOldDuffer
AF Newbie

Re: 1991 Astro - Manually Opening Back Door from the Inside

2001 Astro here. I wanted a rear exit option. The rods from the exterior door handle plus the lock rod are in a "void space" in the door. Not accessible by removing inner panel. With the door open I see a rectangular black access plate, held down by four screws.

What I did is drill/nibble a 3" by 1" hole just to the right of the inner panel, close to the edge of the door. This exposes both the rods. I can reach in with one finger and push the rods up and down, to operate the latch and (big plus) the lock too. See photos.

Hmmm...insert image not working? Here are links to two photos on my Google Drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Ep...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12Ep...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by SomeOldDuffer; 01-29-2022 at 09:30 AM. Reason: typos
SomeOldDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies