Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
rracer
AF Newbie

Cool 91 Stealth srats for 10 seconds and stops. Car may still be in limp mode.

I have a 91 stealth ES that I have been working on for over a year that had been setting for a number of years. I drained the tank have replaced the full fuel pump assembly, fuel pump relay and fuel filter got it running with no transmission issues. Took it to a shop for full tune up but it came out being stuck in 2nd gear and wanting to tow it a transmission shop to be rebuilt but I refused.

Got on the internet and found out about the limp mode safety feature and the cause is most likely a bad ECU so I have had the ECU rebuilt. The car will start but not stay running so I started checking codes. The result is I have installed a new crank angle sensor assembly, new Idle Air Control Valve and all 3 coils. I disconnect battery each time to reset ECU. When the car is turned on the first time but not being turned over it shows the ECU is fine. Then when I start the car it runs for a few seconds and you can hear the fuel pump relay click and it cuts off the gas. I still have my original relay and they both do the same thing. I can start is 20 times with the same result. I have ran the codes again and code 22 keeps coming up which is replacing the crank angle sensor assembly. I have not been able to test drive the car to see if it's out of limp mode sine I had the ECU work completed. I'm out of options and could really use some suggestions on how to get this corrected.
rracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 91 Stealth srats for 10 seconds and stops. Car may still be in limp mode.

The auto transmission has its own computer. The TCU is located on the tunnel behind the ECU. Limp mode could be being caused by something as simple as a blown fuse. Stealth316.com has a procedure for pulling trans codes. If it just simply blinks then you either have a faulty TCU or the fuse is blown.

As for the starting and shutting off my guess is the ecu rebuild screwed you. You may want to find another owner in the area who is willing to test your ecu in their car. Don't try theirs in yours because you could potentially damage their ecu. If their car acts like yours with your ecu then you found the problem.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:52 AM   #3
rracer
AF Newbie

Wink Re: 91 Stealth srats for 10 seconds and stops. Car may still be in limp mode.

I have checked all the fuses and they are good and pulled the TMC it was also looked at by the same repair firm. I did not know that the TMC had codes so I'll take a look at that before I start pulling everything back out. Thanks you for the advise.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
rracer
AF Newbie

Question Re: 91 Stealth srats for 10 seconds and stops. Car may still be in limp mode.

I cannot find the procedure on pulling Stealth316.com fpr pulling the TCU codes. It's not labeled as such can you point me in the right direction?
Old 02-10-2017, 03:32 PM   #5
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 91 Stealth srats for 10 seconds and stops. Car may still be in limp mode.

Found another link that should show you the procedure, as well as the codes.

http://www.plymouthlaser.com/tcucodes.htm
Old 02-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #6
rracer
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: 91 Stealth srats for 10 seconds and stops. Car may still be in limp mode.

Thanks for the link.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth