Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > S-10
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 02:39 PM   #1
mantis100
AF Newbie

High pitched squeal coming from speakers

About a month ago my 2000 Chevy S-10 began to make a high pitched squeal (almost like AM radio feed back) whenever the truck was on. The squeal is completely rpm sensitive and it appears to come from the speakers (regardless if the radio is on or off). Any thoughts on where it comes from.
mantis100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 06:54 PM   #2
GMCMAN
AF Newbie

Sounds Like You Have A Bad Ground Usally It Has A Ground Connected To The Chassis,or The Problem Is In The Radio Itself.i Had The Same Problems In The Past With Mine I Changed It All Out Andwalla No Probs.also 1 More Thing.you May Want To Check Your Spark Plug Wires.you May Need The Noise Supression Ones,little More Expensive But They Do Work Well Good Luck
GMCMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 09:58 AM   #3
joshzr2
AF Newbie

I agree with everything GMCMAN said, but I thought of one more thing you may want to check if none of his suggestions work. I had a problem with a different vehicle after I installed an aftermarket CD player. When I removed the head unit from the dash to check my connections, I found that the antenna wire was not plugged into the appropriate connection on the back of the head unit. Once I plugged that in, I didn't have any more problems. I'm not saying that's your problem, but you may want to check it out.
joshzr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 12:26 PM   #4
2001XtremeS
AF Newbie

Re: High pitched squeal coming from speakers

If your stereo has the auto volume for differnt speeds,check the antenna connection and tightness of the antenna itself.I installed an aftermarket "Bowtie" antenna on mine and it started squealing as the speed increased,then I tried it on 3 other vehicles and same problem.Just a thought.
2001XtremeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 04:22 AM   #5
tonsofunburns
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to tonsofunburns Send a message via Yahoo to tonsofunburns

What you are hearing is called road noise in the car audio world. usually this is caused by power wires running next to RCA cables or speaker wires. You can buy road noise eliminators that wire into your speaker wires. They are available at Wal-mart.
tonsofunburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 07:52 AM   #6
rlith
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to rlith Send a message via MSN to rlith
Re: Re: High pitched squeal coming from speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonsofunburns
What you are hearing is called road noise in the car audio world. usually this is caused by power wires running next to RCA cables or speaker wires. You can buy road noise eliminators that wire into your speaker wires. They are available at Wal-mart.
Actually it's acalled Alternator whine in most circles (just being picky) And it's caused by ground loop... The noise filters you speak of are called "Ground Loop Isolators" They only work half the time, the proper way to eliminate it is to fix the problem at the source... Remove the ground wire from the head unit harness. Ground the casing of the head unit to a good ground. This becomes your source ground. Ground the amp to the same place. This will prevent the ground loop (basically ground looping turns your wiring into an antennae). The ground from the amp should be less than 8 inches and be the same gauge as the power wire. (This is optimal)

95 s10 Blazer, EGR Mod, ZQ8 Steering box mod, 99 Center console shifter mod and more... See everything at www.pghconsulting.net/teal
rlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:46 AM   #7
2001XtremeS
AF Newbie

ok...if he said he had aftermarket pieces,i'd go along with the electrical interference,but with him stating nothing about aftermarket,and him referring to it as a "squeal" rather than a whine,it sounds exactly like mine did,a "squeal", when i had the antenna problems.don't believe me,take your antenna off your truck and drive down the road,i think mine started squealing at about 45 mph, the faster you go,the higher the squeal.hell,it even done it with an aftermarket system when i tried to run the aftermarket antenna.factory antenna= no noise,aftermarket antenna= SQUEAL
2001XtremeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 06:18 AM   #8
jakedubb
AF Newbie

My best advice? Read this over and over.......http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/u...c;f=5;t=008251
1996 S10 2.2 Liter w/ 4/5" Belltech drop, 18" Boyd Coddington Magneatos on Yokohama Parada Spec-2 tires, elect. fan, Gibson catback, racing seats,Optima Yellowtop,2 dvc Alpine Type R 10" subs, Memphis 1000D amp (1100 watts mono),Rockford Fosgate 201S (mids/tweets), Extang Tonneau, shaved tailgate, rollpan, 20% tint, painted dash bezel & misc int., Viper 800 ESP, 100% chrome grill, Street Scene grill inserts, diamond clear headlights, Goodmark Ram Air hood (gen. 3).
jakedubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #9
duracell831
AF Newbie

Hey guys, so I will try to explain my problem as easily as possible. So I have a 1999 Lexus ES 300. About six months ago I had a Boss amp and two 12'' Rockford Fosgate subs installed. Everything was fine with stock Lexus sound system. Couple weeks ago I decided to get an aftermarket deck, a Pioneer. I had it installed 3 days ago. Noticed that when music was not cranked up, there was a warbling squeal coming from my system. Took it back. They reccomended a ground loop isolator. Just had it installed. No change to squealing. When they were messing around with jacks on back of deck, when they disconnected my antenna, it sounded fine. So...from what I have gathered from this thread it sounds like it is a problem with the ground wiring. The people who installed it suggested I have wiring bypass the stock amp in my Lexus, and that would fix it. What would you guys do? Rewire ground wires for stock amp? I really dont wanna lose radio even though now I am mostly using BlueTooth. This whole thing is very frustrating. Basically can someone tell me what they believe is wrong, and or what I should do to solve the issue. Thank you
Adam
duracell831 is offline   Reply With Quote