Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Auto Collision Network The forum for Automotive and Collision repair schools, instructors, teachers and individuals in the industry helping to produced better qualified employees. In association with A.D.Smith NACAT, CRIN, ASA.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #1
MaFi0s0
AF Regular

What to expect from chassis alignment

I have only had my car for not even a month and I got rear ended. There is 8-10,000 in damages to my car and although driving at 160km/h the car feels okay and smooth, one of the things it will need is a chassis alignment. (its RWD by the way)

The workshop I am taking it to has Autorobot, and they have a good rep but I havent heard anything convincing that has made me confident.
I am expecting straight panels that are consistent and symmetrical, and a mm perfect chassis alignment.

Will the symmetry of the panels reflect the quality of the chassis alignment?
What are the odds I do get an alignment up to my expectations?
How fussy should I be with my panels, is it that hard to get them right?
MaFi0s0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Hungrycat7
AF Enthusiast

Re: What to expect from chassis alignment

The symmetry of the panels will should reflect the quality of work done. I think you stand a pretty good chance of getting the quality you expect. The body shop should know what is expected of them and they do not want to see you come back until your next accident. It is possible that you leave and the car is not correct but it shouldn't happen. It is a little difficult getting EVERYTHING to line up perfect but it is their job and hopefully they are good at it. You are paying for a service and you should not be satisfied until it comes out the way you want it. Just be sure to voice your concerns to the body shop before work gets underway. Tell them what you expect and things you are looking out for. Make sure they know you want the vehicle to be perfect and you won't settle for anything less!
Hungrycat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
MaFi0s0
AF Regular

Is it true if the chassis rail is bent than its unsafe to repair without replacing the chassis or giving the car a half cut?
Old 10-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #4
SydwayZ
AF Newbie

Your body panels being straight doesnt necessarily tell you that your chassis is straight. There are many ways to line up body panels on a chassis that isnt properly straight. Also it isnt always necessary to pull a chassis 100% straight. You pull it into line until your panels and suspension components fit well. A mm here or there on the chassis wont make much of a difference, although one always tries to straighten a chassis as close to spec as possible. Adjustments can be and usually are made to parts fitting onto the chassis after straightening. This is done by slotting, reaming and bending of mounting points.
SydwayZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:09 AM   #5
SydwayZ
AF Newbie

There is no part of the chassis that cant be repaired...btw, here at Excel Panel & Paint we are now building custom body kits for the bmw 2002 in case you're interested.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:20 AM   #6
MaFi0s0
AF Regular

Is there a way to check the alignment of the chassis with lasers?
Old 10-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
SydwayZ
AF Newbie

Yes theres is. A 'CAROLINA' uses lasers. Laser pickups ard placed on various parts of the chassis. The measuring system then registers whether the chassis is properly aligned via the positioning of the pickups and supply the relevent info as to the alignment of the chassis and where it may need to be pulled and by how much. Very accurate.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:30 AM   #8
MaFi0s0
AF Regular

I cant find it on there website, I went to Car-O-Liner and I can only see tram guages under there measuring equipment.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
SydwayZ
AF Newbie

Do a search for 'combilaser' using your favourite search engine.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Auto Collision Network