Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 07:04 PM   #1
fastncuban
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to fastncuban
97' BMW M3 or Porsche 951

i have a hard decision to make...i have two cars 2 choose from, both amazing looking..both pretty quick..one older than the other, but i can only choose one. the 97 m3 2door is one of my options 200+hp(i dunno the exact amount) or a 87-89 porsche 944 turbo(951) i dont know which one is better...porsche, there is no substitute, or bmw, the ultimate driving machine..if someone with either a 951 or a m3 could post me back on which is better for the money and for the performance that would help alot..
fastncuban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 06:40 AM   #2
87Porsche951
AF Enthusiast

Depends on what you want to do withthe car and how much your willing to put into the car.

951 are great cars and have LOTS of potential. Even in stock form there great cars considering there age butwith minor mods these cars will perform like a brand new $50K sports car. Problem is since these cars are relatively cheap to purchase, you get these people who buy them but cant afford to maintain them so when they sell them for what the potential buyer thinks is a killer deal stuff starts to go wrong very quickly. Alot of people buy the cars thinking they got a great deal when in reality the car needs a new timing belt ($1000) and then they drive it for a weak and the timing belt snaps and the engine becomes destroyed.
If you find a well maintained 951 and you properly maintain it and treat it good than you wont run into to many issues. The aftermarket for the 951 is decent with plenty of go fast goodies available.
Heres a short list of a few parts you should replace when you buy the car:

Diverter Valve (Dont get a OEM unit)
Wastegate (stock wastegate wont hold boost and shims wont fix it)

Don't buy a 951 that hasnt had its timing belt replaced regularly. You want to buy a 951 with a complete maintanace record. Get a PPI before purchasing (PPI = Pre Purchase Inspection)

The BMW is alot newer and probably will have alot less problems. Im sure BMW will have alot more creature comforts and features. Im dont know if there is a aftermarket for the car. People recognize BMW's.
87Porsche951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:40 PM   #3
Hellbendt
AF Newbie

Re: 97' BMW M3 or Porsche 951

It boils down to what you want.
I have owned both cars and both are great cars.
951-
Lots of potential w/mods etc.
Relatively cheap to mod with huge gains in hp.
Higher cost of maintence tbelts, mounts etc...older car that's why.
If used daily the 951 tends to be unforgiving when it comes to comfort.
Overall the 951 is a beast it's a Porsche.

M3-
Mods can get expensive and limited to hp.
You can supercharge it or add a turbo but why? Too much $$$$
Comfort is a plus day in day out it's a fabulous ride.
Globs of torque you can rev that motor.

Bottom line is the 951 is great older car that can go fast w/modest of the mods out there like Guru Racing or Lindsey Racing tuners. Just switching the chip w/wastegate update and have the timing belts done then you've got a boost monster.

As for the M3 it's a fine daily driver and weekends at the track type of car. Not much you can bolt on to it other than chip/air filter/exhaust mods or you'll have to go blower or internal mods more $$$.

So...more of a racer=951, more of a crusier=M3
Hellbendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 01:39 AM   #4
over1g
AF Newbie

One thing about the diverter valve (or as commonly, and incorrectly referred to as "blow off valve"). It has equal pressure on both sides thanks to the little vacuum port on top, so really there's no reason for an (updated I might add) stock one to fail. Do not waste your money on an aftermarket one, it's really not necessary.
Ahmet
over1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:33 PM   #5
crayzayjay
CFA

Re: Re: 97' BMW M3 or Porsche 951

Moved to Car Comparisons forum

The main problem with the M3 lies in the fact that the US version got a 240bhp motor and not the 321bhp engine on offer in Europe. Despite the fact that it's a great engine, 240bhp is not that much, (not for an M3 anyway), and it will be pretty expensive to mod. You can get a lot more out of a 951. The 951 is a great car, but much as im a Porsche man, I'd still go for the M3 in this case. It's a more modern design, better looking imo, easier to live with day to day and still a blast to drive. Whichever one you choose, as long as you find a decent exmaple, you won't be disappointed. good luck
crayzayjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:15 AM   #6
87Porsche951
AF Enthusiast

over1g, IMO id disagree with not replacing the stock Diverter Valve. Reason being the stock Diverter Valve is not gonna be 100% considering how old these cars are. The Stock diverter valve is cheap plastic unit prone to failure. I dont recommend spending $200+ for some Useless nose making BOV that creates tuning usues and will slow your turbo's recovery. I got a Evolution Motorsports Diverter Valve and seems to work great. it retails for $140 but seen them cheaper too. Its actual metal unit and is lubricated with Redline. I can guarantee if the car has teh stock wastegate it isnt making its full power and is leaking boost. I see alot of chip kits that have wastegate shims but to me thats a half ass solution. spend the the cash on a new wastegate. I got a Lindsey Racing Dual Port Wastegate and works great although you have to have a boost controller if you go dual port.

M3 is more of a good all around performer. Good low end grunt and all. 951's are tame as a kitten untill around 3200RPM than there kittens on steroids. Only advise in making a decisions id test drive a M3 & test drive a 951 than pick wich ever you like best. for someone who wants a lil mor elow end grunt and decent power at all RPM i would choose a 944 S2 over a 951. If you just want a car thats tame in regualr driving but a best on a opne road than get a 951. If you have lots of money and want and total beast buy a 951 and make it a 2.8L or 2.9L. You can also have a 944 S2 head (16V DOHC) alteredt to fit the 951 block but its pricey and probably aint worth the money unless your building a race car.
87Porsche951 is offline   Reply With Quote