Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Classic Cars Do you just love the classics?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:43 AM   #1
ellev8or
AF Regular

Engine still running after ignition is off

67 Bonneville

In late December I had the Bonne's engine completely inspected for reasons that it was running hot and a few other hiccups, especially after the many different responses from this site, which I greatly appreciate, and how the local mechanics were robbing me. Didn't want to take the easy and inexpensive way out by pouring this green stuff in my engine to seal up leaks, so instead I disassembled the entire engine and transported it to someone reputable and costly. He considered the original 58,000 miles on the engine based on the condition of the engine and its many parts and gave me a detailed answer and estimate to get it running as it suppose to.

After having everything reassembled and running, the engine was sounding like it was just rolled out from the assembly factory. About a week ago I noticed the engine was idled higher and when I would turn off the ignition the engine would still run with some knocking, shaking and sputtering. I didn't do anything to the engine since it was reassembled. What could be the reason for the high idle and the engine constantly running after turning off the ignition? Please inform me if this is something major.

During the reassembly the only thing that was replaced were fuel related parts; the carburetor, intake, and a electronic ignition was added.

As always your assistance is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
ellev8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
ncnichol
AF Newbie

Re: Engine still running after ignition is off

it sounds like the distributor might be advanced to much. if it is, your eng idle will be higher and it will run on , shake & stumble after you shut off the key. your first step is to check eng timming with a timming light. should be about 6 degrees btdc.
ncnichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
ellev8or
AF Regular

to ncnichol

On different days when I decide to drive it its running smooth, no high idle when stopped at red light and no constant running after turning off ignition. Then other times its revved high at stop lights and when I turn off the ignition the engine remains running. I don't understand why this is happening. I'm currently a few states away from the mechanic who put everything back together again and I'm very satisfied with his work but now I have to take it to someone else reputable to check what you're describing. I don't know how to use a timing light but I guess its not a major job for a mechanic to do.

Thanks
ellev8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:49 AM   #4
ncnichol
AF Newbie

If the problem comes and goes chances are the carb is the trouble not the distributer. Choke might be sticking. You will need someone who knows carbs. Its not to bad.
ncnichol is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Classic Cars