Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical > Forced Induction
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Forced Induction Discuss topics relating to turbochargers, superchargers, and nitrous oxide systems.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 09:13 AM   #1
Twyzz
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Twyzz
Twin Turbo vs Biturbo

which can you get more out of? let's say the engine is a v-6
Twyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2003, 05:45 PM   #2
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
What you are asking about is the same thing.

Are you trying to figure out which would be better a Twin Turbo setup or a Sequential Twin Turbo setup? Because a Twin Turbo would be the same thing as a Bi Turbo system and I have never heard it called that.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 03:15 PM   #3
Twyzz
AF Regular

nope, twin turob is when a turbo is one each bay of a v6, bi turbo is when one turbo is used to spool another. i dunno how it works i was just told that it does. A lot of euro cars use it (ie Audi S4, Maseratti Biturbo). I was just looking to see if there where any real differences in power you get from either one.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:54 AM   #4
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon
Hmm...

I still have never heard it called that. I guess they have different names for it in Europe. In that case a Twin Turbo setup would be having two turbos pushing the same amount of boost. You would find this on a Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT. They simply use two equal turbos, in this case TD04s, to push equal amounts of boost. I never understood this setup since using one turbo would be more efficient.

Then there is the Sequential or as you call it the Bi-Turbo setup. They use a smaller turbo that will spool faster at low speed and then they have a larger turbo to pick up when the smaller turbo runs out of speed. This is a very ideal setup. If you are going to do a Twin Turbo system the Sequential is the only way to go. I don't see any practical reasons to go with the standard Twin Turbo setup.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 11:10 PM   #5
krebs128
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to krebs128
actually the twin turbo setup is prolly a better idea for small engines, like 2200 4 cyl, using 2 small turbo's. been proven to be more effecient than one normal size turbo. now in v8's, twin turbo would be the only way to go-one on each header.
krebs128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2003, 11:12 PM   #6
krebs128
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to krebs128
oh, and one more thing, does anyone have a picture/diagram of how sequential turbos work, or explain in much detail. not sure i fully understand how it works.
krebs128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 09:10 AM   #7
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

Polygon, you were right in your first post. Biturbo and twinturbo are just diffrent names of "two turbos". Some car manufacturers have chosen to call their cars biturbo while some call them twinturbo, just like in the case of AWD and 4WD.

Then there are diffrent setups, like sequential, two stage, hyperbar and so on.

When the case is to turbocharge an engine with two half the size turbos instead of one larger their efficiency will be lower, but today the difference is much smaller than it used to be

Sequential - it must have been explained in the engineeing/technical, but here is the short version.
One small and large turbo, or two of similar size are used, when the air requirements are low the small turbo or one turbo works and when the air requirements are high the large turbo or both turbos works. The exhaust flow into the turbochargers are controlled by valves as well as airflow from the compressors. Boostpressure are controlled by wastegates.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:08 PM   #8
Twyzz
AF Regular

AWD and 4WD are different, i think 4wd can be disengaged and made RWD or FWD, AWD cannot
Old 09-19-2003, 01:51 PM   #9
SaabJohan
AF Enthusiast

Re: Twin Turbo vs Biturbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyzz
AWD and 4WD are different, i think 4wd can be disengaged and made RWD or FWD, AWD cannot
No, as long a car has 4 wheels AWD is the same as 4WD, just take a look at Audi, in the US the call it (quattro) AWD but in Europe they call it 4WD... Subaru is calling their system AWD, in which the wheels are constantly driven, but the automotive supplier Haldex has a system that can change between FWD/RWD and 4WD, they also call i AWD.

This is exactly the case with bi vs twinturbo, some manufacturers call it biturbo others twinturbo, even tho they can be using the same setup.
SaabJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 06:38 PM   #10
OoNismoO
AF Enthusiast

4wd is when you can change it manually from 2wd or 4wd, like on trucks they have that second stick or switch for 4wd high or low, and 2wd. awd is when its controlling or running all four of its wheels all the time, like its controlled by a computer or whatever, like the skyline is awd, and it runs on rwd or awd depending on its condition, its awd drive system is constantly controlled by the computer.

i heard that bi turbo has two turbos of different size, while twin turbo is when you have two turbos of the same size.
OoNismoO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:57 PM   #11
huze5
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
Hmm...

I still have never heard it called that. I guess they have different names for it in Europe. In that case a Twin Turbo setup would be having two turbos pushing the same amount of boost. You would find this on a Dodge Stealth and Mitsubishi 3000GT. They simply use two equal turbos, in this case TD04s, to push equal amounts of boost. I never understood this setup since using one turbo would be more efficient.

Then there is the Sequential or as you call it the Bi-Turbo setup. They use a smaller turbo that will spool faster at low speed and then they have a larger turbo to pick up when the smaller turbo runs out of speed. This is a very ideal setup. If you are going to do a Twin Turbo system the Sequential is the only way to go. I don't see any practical reasons to go with the standard Twin Turbo setup.

So is a bi-turbo like a turbo that wont lag?
huze5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
huze5
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabJohan View Post
No, as long a car has 4 wheels AWD is the same as 4WD, just take a look at Audi, in the US the call it (quattro) AWD but in Europe they call it 4WD... Subaru is calling their system AWD, in which the wheels are constantly driven, but the automotive supplier Haldex has a system that can change between FWD/RWD and 4WD, they also call i AWD.

This is exactly the case with bi vs twinturbo, some manufacturers call it biturbo others twinturbo, even tho they can be using the same setup.
A twin turbo has two turbos at the same size, but a bi-turbo has 2 different sized turbos. and the audi quattro is called an awd over here in europe. 4wd can be overridden, whereas awd is all 4 wheels controlled by a computer. in subarus and audis most of the power is sent to the back/
huze5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:48 AM   #13
biturbo
AF Newbie

Wow, a lot of bad information in this thread. I'm assuming the OP is referring to the US. So in the US:
AWD-cannot be switched off.
4WD-Driver controls switch/gear shifter to engage/disengage.

Biturbo- 2 turbos of different sizes. (i.e. Audi s4 b5)
Twin turbo- 2 turbos of the same size.

Most common setup is twin turbo, where two turbos of the same size are placed on both sides of the head.

The reason some cars have biturbos is to reduce turbo lag but not sacrifice top end power.
biturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #14
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huze5 View Post
So is a bi-turbo like a turbo that wont lag?

Wow, nice working finding a 6 year old thread.
For future refernce though I would recomend starting a new one, and asking your question in there.
You can even refernce an old thread if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huze5 View Post
A twin turbo has two turbos at the same size, but a bi-turbo has 2 different sized turbos. and the audi quattro is called an awd over here in europe. 4wd can be overridden, whereas awd is all 4 wheels controlled by a computer. in subarus and audis most of the power is sent to the back/
No.
So wrong on so many levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo View Post
Wow, a lot of bad information in this thread.

Yip, and your spreading it.

"Bi" = 2.
As in Bicycle.

"Twin" = 2.

They both mean the same thing, two turbos.

Different manufactorers will refer to the set ups in different ways for all sorts of different reason.
Twin turbo is the most common useage though.
Ive seen the phrased used on Japanese and European cars to describe sequential and non sequential set ups. I've only ever seen bi turbo used on the Maserati Bi Turbo (which used 2 equal sized turbos, one on each bank of a V6, i.e non-sequential).

The difference between AWD and 4WD is equally meaningless.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ht=wheel+drive
Old 05-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
J-Ri
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moppie View Post
The difference between AWD and 4WD is equally meaningless.
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...ht=wheel+drive
In the U.S., among American manufacturers, that's not true. I can't say for sure elsewhere. Here, AWD has a center differential (which may or may not have the capability of locking/limited slip) and each wheel gets 1/4 of the torque. The operation mode (except for center differential lock, if applicable) is not selectable, all wheels drive all the time. Some AWD vehicles will brake the spinning wheel(s) with the ABS module to allow the other wheels to still drive the vehicle. This is good for snow if you drive it easy, but offroad the brakes will overheat if this method is used to provide the needed traction. AWD also has a 1:1 ratio in the transfer case/transaxle. 4WD typically has two gear ratios in the transfer case for 4WD and a 1:1 ratio for 2WD mode. Some older 4WDs will have a lower gear ratio for 2WD mode as well, which is mostly unnecessary unless the vehicle has a small engine and needs to pull more weight than it was designed for. Some home built 4WDs will have 3 gear ratios (accomplished by coupling two transfer cases together) some have a low ratio for 2WD as well. 4WD does not have a center differential and usually disengages the front axle when 4wd is not desired. AWD is barely better than FWD on snow (or sand, or mud, etc) because if you lose traction on one wheel you pretty much lose the ability to go, just like if you lose traction on one side of a FWD car. AWD is advantageous because it's there all the time and you pretty much have twice the launch traction and don't have to (and can't) turn it off to corner. 4WD on the other hand has 50% of the torque going to each axle when in 4wd mode and that cannot be changed. If one wheel slips on one axle, the other axle can still pull you through. That's great for deep snow/mud/sand, but having no center differential means that the drive line will bind if you try to turn on a surface that does not allow the tires to slip.

Basically, if you want something for on-road all season use, AWD is better. If you want something for offroad or very heavy snow, 4WD is better.
Poly engine/trans/control arm bushings
Self built and self programmed progressive methanol injection system
J-Ri is offline   Reply With Quote