Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Oil change Fail.. HELP!

1997 Riviera - 3.8 Liter, L36 - 139,983 miles

Please help!

Oil filter put on by GM dealer wont come off.. filter wrench won't engage.

Had this car for almost 16 years, and changed the oil countless times. Yesterday I couldn't loosen the oil filter a dealer in California put on in August. My filter wrench, a crown/cap type with 3/8" socket drive in the center "jumps the crowns!"

It seems the filter is smaller in Dia and WAY overtightened.

Ran over to the auto parts store and bought a 3-jaw center socket "gripper wrench" that cut into the filter so bad it was about to puncture.

The oil hadn't been drained from pan yet.

Here's the filter about to get punctured by the wrench jaws!

WHAT TOOL DO I NEED to get this filter off? and why is stuck so bad?

Haven't mangled an oil filter since high school and that was 40 years ago. Talk about being pixxed!

Thanks in advance,

-Ed

Last edited by edwinn; 06-23-2014 at 08:32 AM.
edwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Oil change Fail!

Grab the filter housing up near the lip where it won't deform. use a blunted chisel on the lip if that doesn't work. Or get a strap type filter wrench. Then talk to who put it on and ask for the money you spent for the tools!!
Old 12-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Possibly large channel locks on the lip of the filter base,(the part of the filter the can is attached to). Or the chisel like Max says. In some extreme situations I've had to cut the can off, tear out the element and using a long, pointed punch on the edge of the drain back holes, tap 'em off in a ccw direction. Carefull not to damage the filter head. Don't start it until you get it changed.
DeltaP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeltaP For This Useful Post:
edwinn (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
Grab the filter housing up near the lip where it won't deform. use a blunted chisel on the lip if that doesn't work. Or get a strap type filter wrench. Then talk to who put it on and ask for the money you spent for the tools!!
Thanks for the prompt reply, much appreciated. You can imaging how tixxd off I was.

Went to a few parts stores, and one place had a 'four jaw' gripper w/center 3/8" drive but I like your idea of a strap type. The NAPA guys ordered a strap wrench with side-mounted 3/8" socket drive. That way you can go straight onto it with the socket wrench while laying on garage floor. Best would be a center drive... but an offset 'strap' might do the trick.

What do you think about that?

-Ed
Old 12-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #5
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Not alot of luck w/ strap wrenches if its on super tight as they tend to crush the filter can right at the 3/8 side drive then slip off. Make sure you position the strap up high, just under the filter base on the first try. You usually only get one shot w/ a strap wrench.
edwinn (12-22-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaP View Post
Possibly large channel locks on the lip of the filter base,(the part of the filter the can is attached to). Or the chisel like Max says. In some extreme situations I've had to cut the can off, tear out the element and using a long, pointed punch on the edge of the drain back holes, tap 'em off in a ccw direction. Careful not to damage the filter head. Don't start it until you get it changed.
Well I had to start it up because the tail-end sticks out the garage door.. and that's necessary because the Riv is 17' 3" long and the garage inside depth is just over 18'. There needs to be ~2 feet of room to get in front of the hood to do any work.. and literally 6" to spare front/back with the door down. Yep.. had to start it to pull back in the garage.. but decided to let it idle and drive around the block once before parking.

My main shop guys asked "did you change it hot or cold" and I said cold. He said to warm it up first.

I seem to remember changing the Riv oil in all kinds of weather.. spring, summer, fall.. and warm/cold motor. So at least it's not leaking!

Does any of that make sense?

-Ed

Last edited by edwinn; 12-26-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
DeltaP
AF Enthusiast

Good its not leaking but crushing the can can compromise the integrity of the filtering element inside not to mention the by pass valve.
edwinn (12-26-2013)
Old 12-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
maxwedge
A990 racer

Use the strap and grab the filter just under the upper lip, strongest part of the cannister.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
edwinn
Buick Enthusiast

1997 Riviera - 3.8 Liter, L36 - 142,675 miles

Wow.. another year gone by!

I did an oil change on Dec 13th, ~1 year and 2,652 miles since the previous one. All went VERY smoothly, and didn't spill a drop on the concrete. Have been using NAPA Gold filters (black) and Valvoline 10-30.

This time I bough a new cap-wrench that fit better, a model CTA A259.

http://ctatools.com/catalogs/2013Mas...3OilFilter.pdf

The guy that removed the last oil filter (that was way overtightened by a dealer in California) overfilled the engine by 1 quart of oil. I figured it would slowly get 'used' or seep out. whatever.

The consequence of this was (I believe) leakage around the oil pan gasket? There was leaking at the BACK or the pan gasket, but not enough to run down to the bottom or drip away. It's just a mess.. that's all.

Does that make sense? What else could happen if the engine is overfilled by 1 QT?

-Ed

Last edited by edwinn; 12-28-2014 at 09:11 AM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > General Discussion