Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
9torres9
AF Newbie

Radio control car

hi, new to this tread as im looking for help in a project i want to under take.
i hope ifts in the right form if not one the mods could move it to the right one thanks.
well my project is a real sized remote control car. i want to be able to control the car form my transmitter just like a real toy car. iv done some research but havent found very much on it. i know that i would need to control the stearing wheel, break, gas and transmission. also i would need to put in a kill switch incase anything would go wrong. iv seen in detail how the toy cars work, they have different servos etc controling them. id just like to know whats the best way to do it will a real car and how much would be involed and how much parts would be etc.... if anyone has any information on this it would be great, thanks
9torres9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Radio control car

Look up some old episodes of Mythbusters. They did exactly this with quite a few cars and trucks, to perform experiments which were too dangerous for human-driven vehicles.

Unfortunately, they did not provide any specific details, I guess, to prevent people like you from copying this dangerous stunt.

IMO a full-size RC car could easily be very lethal. Even a minor error could result in siginifican property damage, possible injury and even loss of life. You may expose yourself to severe financial loss, lawsuits and possible criminal charges if anything went wrong (and as every RC enthusiast knows, something can very easily go wrong.

IMO the throttle, steering and kill switch could easily be operated by ordinary off-the-shelf RC model car components, and a bit of fabrication skill.

The brakes would be more difficult. You may need to operate the prakes using a pneumatic cylinder and compressed-air source, where the RC servo simply operates a compressed-air valve, which them would actuate the cylinder and thus the brakes.

But IMO, it would be a very, very dangerous project, and should not be completed.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:22 AM   #3
9torres9
AF Newbie

Re: Radio control car

hi thanks for the information. i have a indoor test track were it would be tested and i know all the risks involed. if anyone has anymore information it would be greatly appreicated
9torres9 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
auto , car , control , radio , remote
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical