Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
googlers
AF Newbie

Angry installed balance shaft belt

Hi i just bought a 2000 galant it have an engine vibration when i bought it. It has 114,000 miles and I drove it about 45 miles to my house. I took the timing cover off and saw that the balance shaft belt was torn. I installed a new one and checked the timing and oil pump pulley. I keep getting vibration, I've removed the belt about 5 times to make shure it all lines up but i keep getting vinration. also does it matter if alternator is not conneted? any info?
googlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
RahX
AF Enthusiast

Re: installed balance shaft belt

The smaller balance shaft belt is easy to line up, it should have about 1/4" deflection when tight. The main belt, the oil pump should line up with the mark. Turn it until it 'falls' inline with the mark, you shouldn't have to line it up and it shouldn't want to turn away from the mark. It is easy to get wrong so don't worry.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
trackerlove
AF Newbie

Something else to consider would be your engine mounts. I have a 1998 Galant that the balancer belt broke and took the crank position sensor out with it. When it was replaced, a lot of my vibrations were gone, but because my motor mounts are old and worn out, I still feel a lot of vibration. I would check that out.
trackerlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
googlers
AF Newbie

I have been driving the car for about a week and i still get rough vibration at idle and in gear. When im driving it is very smooth acceleration and shifting. it does have a bad trans mount though but i keep getting a random cylinder missfire on my scanner. any ideas if that would still be the timing belt?
googlers is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant