Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
2000GTX
AF Newbie

Exclamation 91 Eagle/Mitsubishi starting problems...

Hi,

I have a 1991 Eagle 2000 GTX (Mitsubishi Galant) that has been having several problems. It started out by bogging out or quitting while I was driving down the highway. The check engine light would flicker and the car started shaking like it was not firing right. I pulled over and let it sit for five or six minutes and then it worked fine again. About twenty minutes later it did the same thing. The engine started cutting out and I had to pull over again. I didn't have problems again for about three weeks, but then one day the car started cutting out again and then it wouldn't start. The starter was turning the engine over but there was no fire. I'd let it sit for a few minutes, get the car started again, but it kept having this problem. I took the car into the Dodge/Eagle dealership and had a diagnostics done but there were no trouble codes stored. I thought that perhaps it was the fuel pump or filter so I replaced both but the car still had a problem. I did a diagnostic while the engine light was still on and it said that there was a problem with the ignition coil. I couldn't find a distributor, and ended up realizing that the car had a coil pack unit, so I replaced it with a used part that seemed to be working. Well, now the car won't start at all some days. I can drive it some times, but other times I'll hit the key and it just won't catch. Could there be a vaccum problem somewhere? Or is it this ECU thing perhaps? Just bad wires? I have sunk nearly a thousand dollars into the car to fix this problem, but the problem persists. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and sometimes when the car is warm it will idle low when I start it and will stall out...seems like it may be a different problem. Finally, I found this little computer unit of some kind that is attached to the fire wall. It has two vaccum looking hoses running into it. The little thing isn't much bigger than the first segment of my thumb and it gets really bloody hot when I am trying to start the car.

Thanks again.
2000GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
2000GTX
AF Newbie

Hi again,

Just to update...I have checked the plugs and wires and I am getting spark...so I guess I'm not getting fuel?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
mr bishi
AF Regular

Re: 91 Eagle/Mitsubishi starting problems...

i had to replace my ecu in my galant gti as it would anly inject when you had the key turned. ecu's of this age are prone for transisters burning out and leaking acid onto the board. unfortunatly its trail and error to find your problem
mr bishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 07:28 PM   #4
2000GTX
AF Newbie

Had a few electrical pro's take a look and it turns out it was two things. The ECU was definately one of them, and the other was that the ground to the body was not good. So anyway, both of those problems were looked after and the car runs again.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
MikeS144
AF Newbie

Re: 91 Eagle/Mitsubishi starting problems...

I am working on my step-daughters 92 galant. some kinds of problems. First, the ECU was fritzing because in the assy process of the ECU they used a capacitor that was prone to leaking its electrolytics after several years. this electrolyte is very caustic and causes corrosion on everything it touches. Even a new ECU will eventually develop this problem. A mechanic buddy of mine found a guy in FLA who rebuilds these computers and gives you a lifetime warranty. the ECU is back and trouble free for 160 clams including shipping. Anyone with Mitsubishi ECU trouble should get this done!!!!

oh yeah, here is the URL

http://www.avproecm.com/index.htm

good luck to all!!

Mike

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Galant