Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Legacy / Liberty / Baja
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Shugie59
AF Newbie

Subaru legacy 2000 drive shaft issues

Hi there, tried fitting a balljoint to the front drivers side of the car, on re-fitting i found i didn't have enough room so i jacked up the wheel hub ( stupidly ) it slipped off and from the end where the the driveshaft meets the transmission out popped the output shaft along with the driveshaft, there appears to be either a wire or a thin skinny washer inside the trans so i'm a bit hesitant in just trying to shove it back in, does anyone have any advice for this novice mechanic with half a brain, appreciate any help at all ??
Shugie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
Crvett69
AF Moderator

Re: Subaru legacy 2000 drive shaft issues

the wire clip is what keeps the axle from popping out of the transmission as your driving around. clean it and put it back in the transmission, will need ball joint unhooked again to be able to get it back in, once it back in you can push real hard or hit other end of axle with brass hammer or something that won't damage the threads on end of axle. it should pop back in. once clip is engaged pulling outward on the axle slightly it should not come back out. sometimes its easier to pull the axle out of the wheel hub by undoing the big nut to re install it.
Crvett69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crvett69 For This Useful Post:
Shugie59 (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
Shugie59
AF Newbie

Hey thanks for replying with what sounds like knowledgable info, apart from the spring clip on the end of the shaft there is still the wire on the inside of the transmission sitting at an angle, should i still go ahead and tap it in??? Sorry i should've mentioned that in my plea for help.....
Old 07-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
Crvett69
AF Moderator

there should not be a wire visable inside the transmission through the axle hole. it might be the axle seal spring, if it is you will need to pry the seal out and put a new one in before you put the axle back in. should only be the wire spring clip in a slot on inboard end of axle shaft
Old 07-28-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
Shugie59
AF Newbie

sorry for the long drawn out response to your reply, juggling work n driving wife to and from work each day, just took out the obstacle sitting in the hole and it turns out to be one continuous circular spring with a bit of damage to it, i'll endeavour to try and buy a replacement but not sure exactly where inside that hole of the unknown to put the thing ??
Old 07-28-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
Crvett69
AF Moderator

if its a spring that goes on the inside of the seal to provide some extra clamping force to keep it from leaking oil there, you will need to pop the axle seal out and buy a new one to install. you might be able to put the spring back but it might not stay, safer to replace the whole seal
Old 07-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #7
Shugie59
AF Newbie

once again very informative info crvett69, having taken the old one out and bought a replacement, yep you guessed it, i can't for the life of me get it back in....? now i know there has to be a trick to this!!
Old 07-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #8
Crvett69
AF Moderator

need a socket the same size as the outer edge on the seal and a extension so you can drive it back in carefully. do not dent the new seal or it will leak

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > Legacy / Liberty / Baja