Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Lumina
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
sbriar
AF Newbie

Bench Bleeding 96 Lumina sedan

I bought a new Master Cylinder from NAPA and need some help on how I should Bench Bleed this thing.
All I could find on the Youtube videos were how to Bleed 2 line Master Cylinder's, this one has 4 lines.
Do I need to Bleed each port or just the two bottom ports or the two furthest ports away from the push rod or, or, or.
The kit came with 2 plugs and 2 hose fittings and 2 hoses.

This is a non ABS system

Thanks
Steve
Old 06-24-2011, 03:12 AM   #2
jeffcoslacker
Lactose the Intolerant

Re: Bench Bleeding 96 Lumina sedan

I've only ever done 4 line master cylinders one way.

Install it on the car, fill it, put the bench bleed hardware on the front two ports, leave plugs in the rear. Press the brake pedal slowly 3/4 stroke careful not to bottom out hard, repeat until you feel the pedal firm up as good as it can get. Take the bleed hardware off, install the front 2 brake lines, pull the plugs from the rear ports, install bleeder hardware and repeat above until the pedal feels good. Install your rear lines and you're done.

The Lumina has a split diagonal system, meaning each of the two pistons works one front and one rear wheel. The proportioning valves are built into the master cyl, that's why it has four lines instead of two.

Have plenty of water near you and douse any leakage with it once you're done, so the brake fluid doesn't eat anything it falls on.

...empty gun rack.
jeffcoslacker is offline   Reply With Quote