Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > MGB
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
marlinswimmer
AF Newbie

Momentary loss of power (electrical) 80MGB

My 1980 MGB (USA) has had this problem for a couple of years and I have not been able to solve it. Going down the road it will loss electrical power for a moment or 2 then start back up. I have had it backfire (blew out a muffler). It happens at low speeds, high speed, maybe on a bump on a smooth road. When it happens tach also goes dead. I found some information that if the igntion light was on, probably would be bad ignition switch and if the ignition light was not on then probably bad at the igntion relay. The igntion light does not come on when it dies. However, I checked and replace the ignition switch anyway since where the wires went in were a little loose. Took the old one apart and it was in pretty bad shape inside. Still having problem. Replaced the ignition relay and checked all the connections. Still having the problem. Seems to be happening more frequently. Went for about a 4 more drive around the neighborhood and it happened 5 times. Loses electrical power, engine dies, no tach, then starts back up.

I'm pulling my hair out.
marlinswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
marlinswimmer
AF Newbie

Re: Momentary loss of power (electrical) 80MGB

Hopefully, I have solved the problem. The HT going into the coil was not fully engaged. The boot was fully on the tower, but the terminal was not seated fully down into the female connection. The boot was holding it metal to metal but apparently the wire was gradually working back through the boot which is why it was getting worse. I pulled the boot back, fully seated the terminal then pulled the boot back down the wire onto the tower. I've gone for 2 drives (about 20 and 10 miles) with noth loss problem. Hopefully, fingures crossed, this puts this one down.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
marlinswimmer
AF Newbie

Re: Momentary loss of power (electrical) 80MGB

Well I have not solved the problem. It has come back. Went for a drive and lost power dead and right back 3 times in a 2 mile drive.