Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #106
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Re: 1/8 Porsche 908/03

Hello!

I've been making progress on several fronts this last couple of weeks, so I guess a good-sized post is in order. First up, I made a start on the oil cooler:

Since taking the photo I've capped the ends, added a lip across the top edge, and started sourcing some suitably small nuts to make the oil-pipe fittings.

Returning to fibreglassing, I decided the best way to make the panels which close-off the sides of the footwell was to lay-up directly onto the chassis. On the 917-10 I made the same panels section-by-section, but for the 908 I wanted to go a step further. So, I started by laying masking tape over the tubes:

...then laid-up several layers of the thinner cloth:

Fortunately there weren't any major leaks of resin through the tape so I was able to peel the panel off the chassis easily enough. After some basic trimming it looks like this:

I'll have to put some holes in it for the wishbones, etc, to poke through, but even this should be fairly easy due to the see-through finish! This was one of those jobs that makes you wonder if you're doing the right thing all the way through, but suddenly comes out okay at the end.

For a change of scene I spent some time making the final chassis section - the tail support. The final positioning was somewhat dependent on the bodywork, so I fixed the fibreglass tail and made another lego jig to hold everything in place:

After a lot of trimming, pinning and filing, the end result:

The tail section has also developed; two plastic strips added (with reinforcement) to create the vertical edges of the central channel, a black curved section added to close off the rear of the engine bay, the engine bay itself opened up, and a cut-out added to clear the alternator:

Also, a closing panel added to the very end of the tail. It still needs final trimming and filing, but the important thing is that it holds the back end of the tail together. When I've made all the little ducts and modifications I'll add some extra fibreglass reinforcement on the inside to tidy it all up.

So, that's everything just about up-to-date. It's good to have several areas of the car on the go at one time - if the enthusiasm isn't there for one bit, I can spend some time doing something else.

Cheers!

ScratchBuilt
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #107
keefr22
AF Regular

Well, I can't think of anything else to say other than - excellent stuff!!

This continues to be a brilliant education in the black art of scratchbuilding!

Many thanks for your continuing posts!

Cheers

Keef
keefr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #108
cinqster
AF Enthusiast

Very nice work as usual Scratchbuilt.

I've been trying to get my head around doing the inner arches on my Spyder too (I'm about to start on it again, at last). Certainly some food for thought here!

Are you watching the Gunnar 917 rebuild? They've just rebuilt the inner panels on that car - they looked really flimsy when removed from the floor!

Keep up the top work!
cinqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:03 AM   #109
snk33y

Simply stunning! this is what scratch building is all about. keep up the good work.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:24 AM   #110
mrawl
AF Enthusiast

Great update, it's starting to look pretty special now, I can't even imagine how awesome the final build will be.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #111
tuned.by.twenty
AF Vendor-TBT's Owner

I really am speechless. I don't know what to say, since most of it has been said before.
tuned.by.twenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:48 PM   #112
Decs0105
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned.by.twenty View Post
I really am speechless. I don't know what to say, since most of it has been said before.
+1
Decs0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:52 AM   #113
obican
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to obican Send a message via MSN to obican

Porsche didn't make their full size car bodies THIS clean and tidy

B: Bodywork, Paint and Trim
I: Interior

'60 Pontiac Bonneville Coupe (C: 95%, E: 95%, B: 60%, I: 50%)
Ferrari F50 (C: 80%, E: 92%, B: %90, I: 90%)
'60 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible (C: 70%, E: 70%, B: 40%, I: 30%)
BMW Z8 (C: 100%, E: 100%, B: -20%, I: 99%)
'90 Chevrolet C1500 (C: 100%, E: 90%, B: 60% I: 0%)
obican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:16 AM   #114
gionc
Authorized Vendor

Send a message via Skype™ to gionc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decs0105 View Post
+1
+1

Ever tought fiberglass was stupid, thick, ugly material.... seeing your skins they looks piece of art... I'm really wondering if isn't worth to use such material on 1/12 934/935 fiber parts...

BUt I guess the great result is due to a wide experience you collected..

The best compliment I'll give: you instigate on others wish of modeling, scratchbuilding, despite most of us know that such results are unreachable: pure modeling juice.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:00 AM   #115
Mech@niC
AF Regular

When I was a little dwarf, I sure know witch car I wanted to drive the Targa Florio with!!
Mech@niC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #116
Twowheelsrule
AF Enthusiast

Stunning craftsmanship! Great scratch build 101!

Mark
Twowheelsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:29 PM   #117
Enzoenvy1
AF Enthusiast

Simply amazing work. Cannot say much more but will definitely be watching.
Enzoenvy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #118
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

A few updates for you...

The tail section has had two lengths of 3/16" angle glued in place to create a solid mounting onto the chassis; these angles have been drilled and pinned to locate the tail. With the tail in position, the thin panels either side of the rear cockpit bulkhead have been trimmed and fitted, then the doors, then the nose...

So at this point all the bodywork sits where it has to sit. The rear wheel-arches are trimmed just about to where they will finish; the front arches need more work but will be okay for now.

The panels between the tail and the doors have had various pieces of thin strip styrene added to locate them onto the cockpit bulkhead, although this isn't obvious on the photos.

Moving to the engine bay, I've added the three reinforcing gussets at the corners of the top frame, with greenstuff addded to tidy it all up and create a bit of weld detail. The brace across the bay won't be fitted until much later, but the mounting points are ready.

The 1970-spec roll-hoop is a length of 3/16" styrene tube, with a suitable aluminum knitting needle running up the inside to allow me to heat the plastic and create the bend, but without crushing or distorting the tube. Again, there is a brace ready for fitting at a later date.

The cardboard box in the right-hand sill is the mock-up for the rear of the fuel tank. The filler neck needs cut-outs in both the tail and the bulkhead cover panel, so the mock-up will allow me to check the positioning.

Finally, to help with working out the suspension geometry I roughed-out a front and rear wheel from the blue insulating foam. I'm trying to decide on a procedure that will work on the lathe with minimum fuss - fortunately the 908 tyres aren't as wide as on the 917-10, so I won't have to glue foam chunks together to get the size. With the body on the chassis and a couple of wheels, it was a shame not to try them out for size:

I think it will all work out eventually...

More next week!

ScratchBuilt
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:23 AM   #119
GETRDUN
AF Newbie

All I can say to this is TOTALLY AHSUME DUDE your work just blows my mind..Very inspirational.........
GETRDUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #120
Shovel
AF Newbie

Seeing this work only brings superlatives to mind. Just not enough words to start describing the kind of work you're showing here.

Mark

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports