Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorsports
WIP - Motorsports Post topics for any "Work In Process" motorsports vehicles in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 04:59 AM   #31
zitzit
AF Newbie

Re: 1/8 Porsche 908/03

Hi!

Very, very, very impressive!

I particularly love the engine details! Everything made out of styren sheets!!!!

One question, as the parts are mostly foundry parts, will you try to give this particular "angled" (don't know how to say in english, this is an angle given to straight walls in order to unmold parts, instead of perpendiculars shapes) shape to all those components?

If yes, hav you got any idea about how to proceed???

THanks for sharing!

Olivier.
zitzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:20 AM   #32
Entau
AF Enthusiast

superb scratch building Mr. ScratchBuilt
Entau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #33
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello again.

Sorry about the lack of photos in this post - I'll hopefully have something ready to show in a day or two. I've been concentrating on the distributor and fuel injection unit this week, plus I've made a little progress with tidying up the cooling fan and housing. I think I'm avoiding the main part of the ducting shroud for a while - it's one of those awkward jobs that's only going to look good at the last moment.

Regarding getting the draft angle on the cast items, it's probably a detail too far for me! It might not show too well on some of the photos, but on larger items such as the cam covers I've added strip and quarter-round sections to the sides to try and get away from a regular 'box' shape. Most of the square-section plastic has rounded corners anyway - and some have slightly convex faces too - so you can still have the suggestion of 'cast' shapes rather than the look of something 'milled from solid'. On the smaller items the angle would be so fine anyway, I don't think you'd notice. On things like the gearbox and calipers, the core shape is neatly camouflaged by all the webs and fins, and I suppose the painting helps too - you can draw attention to certain elements, and hide others...

Cheers!

ScratchBuilt
ScratchBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #34
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Okay, here's a couple of photos to go with the previous post. First, the distributor and fuel injection unit:

Both parts need a little more fine-detailing. On the distributor I plan to turn the plug-lead ends on my Unimat, rather than using just plain lengths of styrene tube. The fuel injection unit needs a small bracket to mount a support stay, plus the mechanism to attach to the throttle lever. A little greenstuff to fill in the gaps, and it's about ready.

I've also fitted the engine mounting casting to the front of the main block, and filled the sides with greenstuff. The fan shroud has been covered with 0.4mm sheet, and the gaps at the front filled too.

Hope this is of interest!

ScratchBuilt
Old 03-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #35
proosen
AF Enthusiast

This sure is of interest!

It's a joy to see such labour of love, the engine is looking killer if you ask me and so is everthing else so far.

Thanks for sharing.
Niclas
proosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:05 PM   #36
zitzit
AF Newbie

Hi!

Thanks for your answer (and for omproving my technical english with the "draft"!)

Shame on me I didn't noticed that you had gave this perticular shape to some components.

Fuel pump looks amazing!!!!

Just as the fan shroud!
Thanks for sharing it!

Olivier.
zitzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #37
bmwmech1
AF Regular

Looks awesome, and again I say that your technique of breaking down the larger shape into it's basic elements is outstanding! Keep 'em coming, I'm eagerly watching along with everyone else!!!

BM1
bmwmech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #38
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello again!

It's been an odd couple of weeks - it doesn't feel as through I've made much progress, but the bits are there to suggest otherwise. I guess it's because it's all been small fiddly stuff...

First, I've been getting on with the inlet manifold / throttle slides:

They're two lengths of 3/16" square section with a 0.75mm stip sandwiched in-between, 2mm half-round down the sides for the bolt flanges, then more strip for detailing. The main inlet trumpets will hopefully be slightly tapered, rather than just using straight tube.

I also had a major nut-fitting session on the cam covers...

The major development last weekend was the first use of my Unimat lathe. First job - turn down 5mm lengths of 3/32" tube to make the sparkplug lead boots:

These are all drilled and pinned into the top of the dizzy; I'll fit the remaining eight plugs later. Unless I want to be lazy I'm also going to have to make 16 more for the pluglead boots onto the head, but that can wait for the next lathe session.

Second job for the lathe was to make components for the fuel injection pump pulley assembly:

The main injection pump pullley is all aluminium, in two parts. The smaller pulley for the end of the camshaft has an ali core, with plastic detailing for the end. The teeth are made from 0.25mm x 0.5mm strips, carefully glued in place - luckily, the spacing came out perfectly. That was a happy hour or so on a Saturday night...

Cheers!

ScratchBuilt
Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #39
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Excellent work - I'm really enjoying this

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #40
Decs0105
AF Enthusiast

The first pic is just phenomenal... mind-boggling work!!!
Decs0105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #41
Duncan1098
AF Regular

The engine is really taking shape, a masterpiece, I love the teeth on the pully wheel
Duncan1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:11 PM   #42
Tim25
AF Newbie

Holy ----. I can't believe the work you do. Looking forward to your next update.

TIM

My hardhat has racing stripes.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cameo...s/365886440252
Tim25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:56 AM   #43
flhansen
AF Regular

Woooahhh. Nice!!!!

Gerald Wingrove go home ;-)

Flemming
flhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #44
ScratchBuilt
AF Enthusiast

Hello!

I finally made a start on creating the main fan shroud this weekend:

I'll bulk-out the gaps with offcuts of box-section, etc, before adding large amounts of greenstuff putty to create the final shape. So far, it's working out okay...

I've also been adding a little more detail to the fuel pump and inlet manfolds / throttle slide housings:

The overhanging mounts for the throttle lever assembly were tricky - getting the angles and positioning just right was not a five-minute job! The bracket on the side of the fuel pump will be used to mount a support bar running to the oil filter housing (not shown). I couldn't resist gluing the drive-pulley in place, either. I've also made a start on the ends of throttle slides themsleves, but they're so small I don't think they'll photograph too well until everything is assembled.

That's all for now!

ScratchBuilt
Old 03-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #45
Scalemodelfanatic
AF Regular

This is just AMAZING!!! this is truly a feast in scale modeling execution, the amount of work and fabrication on the engine alone is something that a book could be writen about.

Fred
Scalemodelfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD