Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escort
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
Thirdgen89GTA
AF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elk Grove Village, Illinois
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA
Argh! What too do I need to pull the harmonic balancer on a 93 Escort 1.9L?

I went to autozoo, and the puller and installer they pulled out were competely wrong! I had them check the part# 3 times and they were pulling the correct part # that the computer lists.

They pulled out a clamshell style puller that uses bolts to thread into the balancer, then a main bolt to pull the balancer off by pushing against the crank.

However, the balancer on my 93 escort has no such bolt holes for me to thread into.

Do you guys just use a jaw type puller? Has anyone else encountered this problem at Autozone when renting the tool?

What to do? I've got to get this escort running in the next two days because I have to part out my TransAm's motor (so I can get a better one. ^_^)

I'm thinking my only recourse is to go visit a ford dealer and hope I can convice one of the guys to lend me his puller and installer.
__________________

GTA Gallery | AS&M TPI | Video's
| AS&M SS Runners, Ported/Siamesed TPI, Ported L98's, LPE 211/219 cam, Hooker 2055 headers coated by ACS, Flowmaster American Thunder, SVO 24# injectors, BBK AFPR...... Times coming soon!
Signature Gallery


1993 Ford Escort 1.9L with a snapped timing belt.......
Thirdgen89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 12:47 AM   #2
Davescort97
Escort guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Garfield, Arkansas
Posts: 2,486
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Argh! What too do I need to pull the harmonic balancer on a 93 Escort 1.9L?

You are right. They gave you the wrong puller. It happened to me. After taking the main bolt out, just take a pry bar on the back side and slide it off. It's not on there very tight. Just has a half-moon key holding it onto the crankshaft. You may not even need a pry bar. I got mine off with hand pressure only. Wiggling it back and forth.
Davescort97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 01:15 AM   #3
Thirdgen89GTA
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elk Grove Village, Illinois
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA
Re: Re: Argh! What too do I need to pull the harmonic balancer on a 93 Escort 1.9L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davescort97
You are right. They gave you the wrong puller. It happened to me. After taking the main bolt out, just take a pry bar on the back side and slide it off. It's not on there very tight. Just has a half-moon key holding it onto the crankshaft. You may not even need a pry bar. I got mine off with hand pressure only. Wiggling it back and forth.
Yikes, that is insanely loose. When I installed the balancer on my 89 TransAm I needed a 32mm nut and it was like pulling teeth. took alot of effort to get it off.

The only reason I was afraid of the jaw type puller is that I felt it might bend the "teeth" on the balancer and mess up the crank signal if I chipped or bent one.

I will give the pry bar method a try. Maybe it'll work for me too.

For install, I just plan to torch the center part and slide it right on. Usually works great on neons and the escort's balancer is even thinner, so it may work perfect.
__________________

GTA Gallery | AS&M TPI | Video's
| AS&M SS Runners, Ported/Siamesed TPI, Ported L98's, LPE 211/219 cam, Hooker 2055 headers coated by ACS, Flowmaster American Thunder, SVO 24# injectors, BBK AFPR...... Times coming soon!
Signature Gallery


1993 Ford Escort 1.9L with a snapped timing belt.......
Thirdgen89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 09:46 AM   #4
Arnoldtheskier
AF Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave is right.No pullers,no gas wrench!..it is NOT that uncommon for these Escorts for the crank bolt to come loose.NEXT is that obviouslly the pulley works on the shaft and chews up the interface.This NOW makes the pulley loose!..AND ALSO can bind it..usually crooked..making it tough to get off.Moving it past the rough parts. I highly suspect that when these Escort pulleys come loose it is because during a previous timing belt they were not retorqued properly.A previouslly untouched Escort balancer ahould slide off firmly..and smoothly..requiring no tools.ONLY the very gentlest,and careful prying..and that with an obviouslly wide bladed tool.Ditto for the installation.With the key obviouslly at the top..and the end of it angled properly.These are a VERY precision fit on there..UNLIKE North American v8's.You may have to fiddle a bit and SWEAR!! it needs pressure..but when you get them lined up right..slides right on.Lock the crank for retorquing.I pull the flywheel inspection cover,pull one of the engine to tranny bolts,and use a piece of short strong angle iron with a hole in it..bolted here to stop the flywheel.. at the convertor to flywheel bolts.
Arnoldtheskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:27 PM   #5
Thirdgen89GTA
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elk Grove Village, Illinois
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA
Re: Argh! What too do I need to pull the harmonic balancer on a 93 Escort 1.9L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoldtheskier
Dave is right.No pullers,no gas wrench!..it is NOT that uncommon for these Escorts for the crank bolt to come loose.NEXT is that obviouslly the pulley works on the shaft and chews up the interface.This NOW makes the pulley loose!..AND ALSO can bind it..usually crooked..making it tough to get off.Moving it past the rough parts. I highly suspect that when these Escort pulleys come loose it is because during a previous timing belt they were not retorqued properly.A previouslly untouched Escort balancer ahould slide off firmly..and smoothly..requiring no tools.ONLY the very gentlest,and careful prying..and that with an obviouslly wide bladed tool.Ditto for the installation.With the key obviouslly at the top..and the end of it angled properly.These are a VERY precision fit on there..UNLIKE North American v8's.You may have to fiddle a bit and SWEAR!! it needs pressure..but when you get them lined up right..slides right on.Lock the crank for retorquing.I pull the flywheel inspection cover,pull one of the engine to tranny bolts,and use a piece of short strong angle iron with a hole in it..bolted here to stop the flywheel.. at the convertor to flywheel bolts.
When you guys say the lower radiator hose sucks, you really mean it! It SUCKS!!!!

Its 95* out right now, raining. So humid I sweat standing still. I have to take a break right now.

But damn, did that balancer come off with just a little wiggling!
__________________

GTA Gallery | AS&M TPI | Video's
| AS&M SS Runners, Ported/Siamesed TPI, Ported L98's, LPE 211/219 cam, Hooker 2055 headers coated by ACS, Flowmaster American Thunder, SVO 24# injectors, BBK AFPR...... Times coming soon!
Signature Gallery


1993 Ford Escort 1.9L with a snapped timing belt.......
Thirdgen89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
Thirdgen89GTA
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elk Grove Village, Illinois
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA
Re: Re: Argh! What too do I need to pull the harmonic balancer on a 93 Escort 1.9L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA
When you guys say the lower radiator hose sucks, you really mean it! It SUCKS!!!!

Its 95* out right now, raining. So humid I sweat standing still. I have to take a break right now.

But damn, did that balancer come off with just a little wiggling!
One more question. How is the accessory belt routed? I'm putting it back together and it runs now. YAY!!!

But no matter how i route it, the belt is really loose.

This is how its routed. Exactly like the diagram states. I have AC, PS, Alt, and crank pully.

I'm going around the crank pulley, under the ac compressor, up and to the left (towards teh back of the car) of the idler, to the right of the PS pump, up and around the alternator, then under the tensioner idler and towards the crank pully again.

\

Why isn't it tight? Did I reinstall the tensioner wrong?
__________________

GTA Gallery | AS&M TPI | Video's
| AS&M SS Runners, Ported/Siamesed TPI, Ported L98's, LPE 211/219 cam, Hooker 2055 headers coated by ACS, Flowmaster American Thunder, SVO 24# injectors, BBK AFPR...... Times coming soon!
Signature Gallery


1993 Ford Escort 1.9L with a snapped timing belt.......
Thirdgen89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:05 PM   #7
Thirdgen89GTA
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elk Grove Village, Illinois
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA
Re: Re: Re: Argh! What too do I need to pull the harmonic balancer on a 93 Escort 1.9L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA
One more question. How is the accessory belt routed? I'm putting it back together and it runs now. YAY!!!

But no matter how i route it, the belt is really loose.

This is how its routed. Exactly like the diagram states. I have AC, PS, Alt, and crank pully.

I'm going around the crank pulley, under the ac compressor, up and to the left (towards teh back of the car) of the idler, to the right of the PS pump, up and around the alternator, then under the tensioner idler and towards the crank pully again.

\

Why isn't it tight? Did I reinstall the tensioner wrong?
Got it back together and running. I'm an idiot. I had the alternator unbolted on top so it would swing out of the way when I was doing the plugs. Put it back and wala, the belt is tight again.

I'm such an idiot at times.
__________________

GTA Gallery | AS&M TPI | Video's
| AS&M SS Runners, Ported/Siamesed TPI, Ported L98's, LPE 211/219 cam, Hooker 2055 headers coated by ACS, Flowmaster American Thunder, SVO 24# injectors, BBK AFPR...... Times coming soon!
Signature Gallery


1993 Ford Escort 1.9L with a snapped timing belt.......
Thirdgen89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:03 AM   #8
OverBoardProject
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: who gives afuck
Posts: 3,931
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Argh! What too do I need to pull the harmonic balancer on a 93 Escort 1.9L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA
Got it back together and running. I'm an idiot. I had the alternator unbolted on top so it would swing out of the way when I was doing the plugs. Put it back and wala, the belt is tight again.

I'm such an idiot at times.
Shit man, go easy on yourself.

We all do stuff like that, and just have to learn how to relax and go over our work a second time.
We'll usually find the problem then, and if not we probably got 1 wrong part from the store.
Besides it's always a good idea to look over any job a second time. It only takes a moment and could save you from getting stranded.
OverBoardProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
Thirdgen89GTA
AF Newbie
Thread starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Elk Grove Village, Illinois
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Thirdgen89GTA
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Argh! What too do I need to pull the harmonic balancer on a 93 Escort 1.9L?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverBoardProject
Shit man, go easy on yourself.

We all do stuff like that, and just have to learn how to relax and go over our work a second time.
We'll usually find the problem then, and if not we probably got 1 wrong part from the store.
Besides it's always a good idea to look over any job a second time. It only takes a moment and could save you from getting stranded.
I wasn't beating myself over the head with a shovel. Just berating myself for not trying something simple. The car could have been running 3 days ago if I had just tried to wiggle it off.
__________________

GTA Gallery | AS&M TPI | Video's
| AS&M SS Runners, Ported/Siamesed TPI, Ported L98's, LPE 211/219 cam, Hooker 2055 headers coated by ACS, Flowmaster American Thunder, SVO 24# injectors, BBK AFPR...... Times coming soon!
Signature Gallery


1993 Ford Escort 1.9L with a snapped timing belt.......
Thirdgen89GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD


Bookmarks
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Escort

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.

Community Participation Guidelines | How to use your User Control Panel

Powered by: vBulletin | Copyright Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
 
 
no new posts