Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 02:49 AM   #1
proosen
AF Enthusiast

How about taking your time and be a bit friendly to newbies on AF!

Every once in a while there is this "asked one million times question". Some of you guys around here is very quick to slap the fingers on the people doing this. Why? Instead, take your time and consider them as children. I have two small boys and sometimes they ask the same question over and over again. What can I do but answer every time!? These people will eventually learn how the forum works and that they can search for the info they need. I do seem to have a problem with this behaviour, not a big one but I think it's sad that it exists! If you guys that feel walked over think I'm over the top on this one...consider this. Every singel member here was once a newbie, some more than others. Bear with them, don't scare them away by being grumpy!

Merry Christmas and may you all have lot's of square gifts under the tree!

Niclas

Edit:
One more thing to think about is that this place is like the biggest candy store in the world! You just get overwhelmed of the pure size and possibilities here. I think that many people just short surcuit and doesn't think first, just rush into it!

Last edited by proosen; 12-19-2004 at 04:01 AM.
proosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:26 AM   #2
Underscore002
AF Newbie

I think this is true to some extent, I am a noob here as this is my first post, but I am also 20 years old, unlike a small child I should know enough to do a search before I ask a question. But Im not asking a question , and I do agree with what you said, on the forums I frequent, I see the same thing happen all the time, I feel bad for the new guys, and usually try an help them out.

With that said Have a very good Christmas, I plan to do a model soon, a bug of coarse, its a good way to kill time over the christmas break .
Old 12-19-2004, 06:34 AM   #3
boostspike
AF Enthusiast

sorry this subject has been posted dozens of time please use the search or FAQ for more info...heheheee j/k

i do agree some of the noobs are alot younger then us, and do need to been shown the proper direction... the way i see it, the more info they have the larger this community can grow...

and "did you do a search" should not be an answer to any question.. instead paste the proper link for them and then advise them to the search button next time... as Whitney Houston omce sang "I believe the children are our future..."

Happy Holidays all.....
boostspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 06:51 AM   #4
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

Re: How about taking your time and be a bit friendly to newbies on AF!

It is a pretty simple recipie for newbies. Show common courtesy, take the time to read the FAQ, follow the guidelines and you'll be welcomed. That is all I did when I joined two years ago. However, be an ass, start multiple pointless threads, write like a jive-talkin' SMS junkie and it will be a different story!

Underscore002 above looks like an excellent example of the good kind of newbie! Welcome
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 07:39 AM   #5
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man

I put it down to them being so excited to find a place like this they "dont think before the brain does" and post with out looking around the place first.
Hell, when i came here i done the same thing, was so excited to find something i was searching for i posted without looking around first and got shot down in flames by others.
Also try to remember that most of us that have been here for a few years do get pissed off with seeing the same thing/questions posted over and over again when the answer is in the FAQ.....so there will be times when newbies will get a shity reply just like your own kids that keep asking for the same thing over and over!!!

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 07:46 AM   #6
proosen
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: How about taking your time and be a bit friendly to newbies on AF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyRaider
It is a pretty simple recipie for newbies. Show common courtesy, take the time to read the FAQ, follow the guidelines and you'll be welcomed. That is all I did when I joined two years ago. However, be an ass, start multiple pointless threads, write like a jive-talkin' SMS junkie and it will be a different story!
Yes Phil! I totaly agree on this one, but as I mentioned...I think people just get delirious over the sheer size and just plunges in to it without thinking first. I must admit that I haven't read the FAQ, but then again common sense gets you a long way and I do know where the search button is. About using proper language there is a different story and I expect people to write/talk so you can get a hang of what they want without getting a headaches! I sure hope this isn't to be considerd a pointless thread, if so my apologies...just wanted to have a more friendly place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostspike
and "did you do a search" should not be an answer to any question.. instead paste the proper link for them and then advise them to the search button next time
This is the point I was trying to make, hmmm...didn't succeed. I agree that some people need a kick in the right direction, but the above method is to prefer in my opinion.

Niclas
proosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 03:29 PM   #7
RallyRaider
Zomby Woof

The way I found AF was becuase somebody pointed me towards the modeling FAQ. It's well known on the internet as a great resourse, a huge credit to Jay and the others who put it all together. :round of applause:

Of course when I read it I thought "bah, already learnt most of that the hard way!"
RallyRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:30 PM   #8
shorty327
AF Newbie

hello all im a newbie to the fourm and i couldnt be any happier with this place.this is a great place for the hobby with good peope it seems everyone will try to help if they can.
shorty327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:11 PM   #9
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty327
hello all im a newbie to the fourm and i couldnt be any happier with this place.this is a great place for the hobby with good peope it seems everyone will try to help if they can.
Yes, we will all be happy to help you if you read the FAQ first

Welcome !
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 05:51 PM   #10
zax13
AF Newbie

hi im a newbie myself. just hoping to get some great tips and techniques from this forum... thanks alot guys... this place roxz
zax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 09:26 AM   #11
Jurva
AF Enthusiast

It is very important to notice people and give them feedback. I haven't posted alot of new cars, but sometimes i feel like that nobody see my work. Give feedback to users, good or bad.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:36 AM   #12
TAFKADY
AF Newbie

In my opinion you are absolutely right, Proosen and Jurva. In the past I had the impression that there are forums on other sites where people are more friendly. Also people sometimes post their own question which doesn't have anything to do with the question before and which doesn't give any answer.
I hope these was an exception and will not happen again since I come here to relax, to have fun, and nor for being mad. OK?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD