Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
h3llfir3
AF Newbie

Car Painting and sanding

Hello, Im just doing a lot of work on cars with sanding and spray painting. I need a good breathing system and eye protection system that will keep me safe What are some excellent breathing protection systems out there that protect against fine particles from spray paint , sanding metal and paint, and anything else to do with sanding and painting, it should also protect against fumes from paint, etc. That is one thing i need, i also need something that gives good eye protection from spray painting and sanding metal and paint, etc.. I do not want people to tell me to buy, the simple breathing protector because I paint very frequently and I need something heavier duty. thanks, and I would appreciate people to list some items that are good and also a link to a website with it from a company i can get it from , or even just tell me where i can find it. thanks
h3llfir3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

Re: Car Painting and sanding

There are lots of places you can get this kind of stuff. My first suggestion is to find a local paint and body supply place. Not only can they advise you on protective gear, they are irreplacable when it comes to good info on the products you use.

But, Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, Grainger, and several others can help you out. All of them have online ordering.

You have a few choices, but I prefer the full face mask; respirator and face shield in one unit. The larger sightglass makes painting much nicer since you're not looking through a smaller set of goggles. Take care to get the most applicable mask. Some filters are pretty coarse and are for larger particles like dust and they're more suited to things like working with fiberglass, sandblasting, or working with wood and other shop equipment. The kind you need for painting are designed to filter out organic chemicals like would be found in paint and they are even broken down by what kind of paint you use; urethane, lacquers, water based, etc. You can use the more restrictive VOC filter for wood shop stuff, grinding, and other particulates, but they will quickly clog and be a waste of money.

I would look for a mask with different attachable filters so you can swap out the cartridges depending on your work.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
h3llfir3
AF Newbie

Re: Car Painting and sanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73 View Post
There are lots of places you can get this kind of stuff. My first suggestion is to find a local paint and body supply place. Not only can they advise you on protective gear, they are irreplacable when it comes to good info on the products you use.

But, Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, Grainger, and several others can help you out. All of them have online ordering.

You have a few choices, but I prefer the full face mask; respirator and face shield in one unit. The larger sightglass makes painting much nicer since you're not looking through a smaller set of goggles. Take care to get the most applicable mask. Some filters are pretty coarse and are for larger particles like dust and they're more suited to things like working with fiberglass, sandblasting, or working with wood and other shop equipment. The kind you need for painting are designed to filter out organic chemicals like would be found in paint and they are even broken down by what kind of paint you use; urethane, lacquers, water based, etc. You can use the more restrictive VOC filter for wood shop stuff, grinding, and other particulates, but they will quickly clog and be a waste of money.

I would look for a mask with different attachable filters so you can swap out the cartridges depending on your work.
What about canadian tire? and can i use the half face mask and use something else for eyes? and what other part is good for eyes if you use a half mask? plz post links :P and what kind of ear protection is good, i heard you need ear protection for the pneumatic tools?

i also found these . are they any good ?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/SafetyProducts/BreathingProtection/PRD~0550083P/Multi-Purpose%2BProfessional%2BRespirator.jsp

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/SafetyProducts/BreathingProtection/PRD~0550053P/Mastercraft%2BDual%2BRespirator%2BFilter%2BMask.js p

i found this too

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber
how do i know if it protects against sanding particles as well as paint particles and fumes for all these? how do i know if a mask can use different types of filters?
h3llfir3 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical