Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 04:18 PM   #1
rustyrun
AF Newbie

1996 Tacoma struts

Shop says struts are shot and is eating away 33" mud tires. Truck drives like crap. Has 4" body lift. As far as replacing the struts, I do not see a kit. To replace do you replace shocks, strut cap and bearing, etc or do you replace everything such as the upper control arm etc?
rustyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:14 AM   #2
ctesla
AF Enthusiast

your fronts (I take it yours is a 4x4) are the 'spring-seated' strut, meaning it comes complete as an assembly; strut casing, body, cartridge, and coil.
your rears are plain jane shocks, so any store would stock or order in some performance shocks and you could do yourself, but those fronts could take a hand or a head off.
and I do not think anyone makes a cartridge just to change out, so you'll have to buy complete;
plan on a Monroe or Gabriel top-of-the-line in the area of $60-110. each.
Edelbrock does not make an AIS or IAS strut, and there shocks for the Toyotas ('95-04) didn't make an overall sell in the market, so they are phasing out and selling through certain numbers (so even though I like there shock, wouldn't recommend, as once gone, no replacement or warranty), so maybe Bilstein or KYB might have something for your Tacoma, but would be even more expensive than the Monroe.
good luck,
hope this helps,
chris
nrt racing
ctesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
rustyrun
AF Newbie

Re: 1996 Tacoma struts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctesla
your fronts (I take it yours is a 4x4) are the 'spring-seated' strut, meaning it comes complete as an assembly; strut casing, body, cartridge, and coil.
your rears are plain jane shocks, so any store would stock or order in some performance shocks and you could do yourself, but those fronts could take a hand or a head off.
and I do not think anyone makes a cartridge just to change out, so you'll have to buy complete;
plan on a Monroe or Gabriel top-of-the-line in the area of $60-110. each.
Edelbrock does not make an AIS or IAS strut, and there shocks for the Toyotas ('95-04) didn't make an overall sell in the market, so they are phasing out and selling through certain numbers (so even though I like there shock, wouldn't recommend, as once gone, no replacement or warranty), so maybe Bilstein or KYB might have something for your Tacoma, but would be even more expensive than the Monroe.
good luck,
hope this helps,
chris
nrt racing

Thanks for the help. Yes that is what I thought was the kit. When we put a 4" lift on it 2 years ago my friend had a spring compressor and we just slid new Rancho shocks in. Guess they wore out with the mudders cause the tires are aligned and are wearing badly. I will replace the hole thing. Thanks
rustyrun is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma