Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 09:09 PM   #16
Kelly Hudgens
AF Newbie

Re: Re: supercharger question ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredhead
Heck no it's not to late for a sudgestion, but let me get this right your saying that all I have to do is put the supercharger in my truck? I don't need all the electronic adjusting equipment in like the sencor's new o2 unit and pigy back equipment because my 03 2.7L computer will do this automaticly is this correct, and one more thing will putting this supercharger in adversaly effect my emision's for smog inspections?
Hmm, my reply did not get posted for some reason. Oh well, here I go again.
YES I am saying that if you install the proper TRD supercharger kit for your specific vehicle you will not need to do any other modification. All the programming is built into your current PCM for a 2001, 02, 03 etc.
Just follow instructions in the kit. It replaces stock intake manifold, and gives you all the hardware you need, including the belt.

You may choose to to a "deck plate" modification to your air intake box, but that costs nearly nothing. It just opens up the intake, but allows you to use the stock air filter and tuned intake tubes that are already in place. It does help to do this modification, and I recommend it, but you wouldn't have to. Some buy fancy intake systems, but they defeat the factory tuning of the intake and you run into problems mounting the MAF etc.

Your first 20 miles or so will be a relearn period for your present PCM, but I never had any problem from mile one. No ping. Nothing adverse. Of course wisdom will tell you to drive it moderately for that period, but after that use it all you want. You will have no problems if you install it correctly.

The supercharger will not affect your smog test, or your actual emissions in any way. My 2.7 passes emissions tests with flying colors. The TRD supercharger kit is 50 state legal.

The kit for my 2.7 cost me about $2300 and I installed it myself. I can answer questions you may have, and I have photos of the installation if you would like to see them.

The engineers at TRD are smart folks, and they design these kits with drivability in mind. (I have some insight, as my brother does testing for them.)

There are ways that you can take the performance further if you wish, such as a fifth injector kit that also acts as an "intercooler". I have not done this to mine as I am satisfied with the performance as it is. The 2.7 with the supercharger and deck plate modification will outperform the 3.4 V-6.

Kelly49@cableone.net
Kelly Hudgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 09:21 PM   #17
Kelly Hudgens
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: supercharger question ???

Oh, by the way,

As a mechanic I can tell you that many of the "piggyback" mods, "superchips", and other such advertised devices for enhancing power usually cause other problems, drivability. mileage, pings, etc. You would be surprised at how many people pay me to return their cars to stock condition after being disappointed with the aftermarket devices they have spent good money on.

TRD is engineered BY TOYOTA specifically FOR YOUR TOYOTA MODEL, and they have done their homework! In my experience TRD products are excellent and perform as advertised.

Kelly
Old 07-29-2005, 01:03 AM   #18
Shredhead
AF Enthusiast

Re: supercharger question ???

2300 Where did You get your 2.7L supercharger from when I looked up the price tag on URD it was more like 2800. and when I get settled out here in Guam I would like to do the supercharger mod to my 2.7L not sure I want to do the deck plate mod though Im afraid of sucking up water, I would definatly like to see the pictures of Your mod I would like to get an idea of what Im getting into I have done some moderate engine work, cluch, brakes water pump replacement's but this will probably be more intense, how long do you think it would take to do this job and what kind of horse power gain do you think I would recieve? Thanx for the info.
Shredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 03:00 AM   #19
Kelly Hudgens
AF Newbie

Quote:
2300 Where did You get your 2.7L supercharger from when I looked up the price tag on URD it was more like 2800. and when I get settled out here in Guam I would like to do the supercharger mod to my 2.7L not sure I want to do the deck plate mod though Im afraid of sucking up water, I would definatly like to see the pictures of Your mod I would like to get an idea of what Im getting into I have done some moderate engine work, cluch, brakes water pump replacement's but this will probably be more intense, how long do you think it would take to do this job and what kind of horse power gain do you think I would recieve? Thanx for the info.

I bought my TRD supercharger kit at http://toyotaguys.com/ but I don't see it listed there now for some reason. (was about two years ago.)
You might also try http://toyotapartsworld.com/ I have bought many Toyota parts there with better luck than at the local dealer. E-mail Greg at toyota@toyotapartsworld.com and tell him your application and he will send you a price quote. Perhaps the prices have gone up since I bought mine. The local dealer wanted $600 more at the time I bought mine.

The "deck plate" mod uses a marine "deck plate" so that when you are off roading you can close the opening you make in the air box to avoid sucking up water. I drive mostly on pavement so that hasn't been an issue for me. (It would seem to me that if you are driving in water so deep that it would suck in at the factory air box you would be totally crazy anyway!)

I spent about eight hours doing the install the first time, but that was working leisurely and drinking some beer also. I don't seem to have the privelege of posting photos here on the forum, but I will e-mail them if you want to provide an address.

Kelly
Old 07-29-2005, 04:38 AM   #20
Shredhead
AF Enthusiast

I was a little off when I quoted 2800 for the kit it's actually more like 2000 for just the supercharger without the URD Performance Calibration Unit piggy back kit and so on but if you would take a look at this link and let me know if this is the supercharger that your talking about I would appreciate it, my email address is shredhead@mail.com here's the URL thanx again
http://www.urdusa.net/product_info.p...b0a5f5bde17b01
Old 07-29-2005, 04:45 AM   #21
Shredhead
AF Enthusiast

It sounds like your saying that it's pretty easy to install the kit just a little time consuming, did you have to attach another pully for the S/C or does it share the belt with another component?
Old 07-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #22
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Re: Re: supercharger question ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Hudgens
I don't seem to have the privelege of posting photos here on the forum, but I will e-mail them if you want to provide an address.
Upload your image file to http://photobucket.com and then copy and paste the IMG link into your message.

Alternatively, upload the image file to your personal photo gallery on this site (see link under reply window). Then click on the "Copy of ..." and do the same process as above with the IMG link under the photo.

As far as water getting in the air cleaner box with the deckplate mod, driving in rain with the deckplate cover off will likely get your filter element wet. A wet air filter element will not flow air worth beans. I am not interested in find out how heavy the rain has to be for this to occur. I always cover my deckplate when it's raining.

"What we've got here is a failure to communicate"
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:28 PM   #23
Kelly Hudgens
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: supercharger question ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian R.
Upload your image file to http://photobucket.com and then copy and paste the IMG link into your message.

Alternatively, upload the image file to your personal photo gallery on this site (see link under reply window). Then click on the "Copy of ..." and do the same process as above with the IMG link under the photo.

As far as water getting in the air cleaner box with the deckplate mod, driving in rain with the deckplate cover off will likely get your filter element wet. A wet air filter element will not flow air worth beans. I am not interested in find out how heavy the rain has to be for this to occur. I always cover my deckplate when it's raining.

Thanks for the photo information. I will try that.

You are right, rain could pose a problem theortically. I have never had any problem with that, but I will have to check that out next time it rains to see if it is actually happening. It could be that being stashed behind the headlight it doesn't get back there much, if at all. I wonder why I never thought of that!

Kelly
Old 07-30-2005, 01:41 PM   #24
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

May not be a problem, but I don't take chances...

Old 07-30-2005, 02:28 PM   #25
OBATDDSD
AF Regular

Quote:
Heck no it's not to late for a sudgestion, but let me get this right your saying that all I have to do is put the supercharger in my truck? I don't need all the electronic adjusting equipment in like the sencor's new o2 unit and pigy back equipment because my 03 2.7L computer will do this automaticly is this correct, and one more thing will putting this supercharger in adversaly effect my emision's for smog inspections?
Check out tacomaterritory.com and customtacos.com forums
and do search for this topic. You'll find more information on different options and problems people have experienced with s/c installs. One of the guys just broke the 300hp barrier on his 2004 3.4 s/c 4x4 with extra mods. You'll get as much as you put into it.
OBATDDSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:37 AM   #26
corbinwaterski
AF Regular

About the deckplate mod - I've wondered the same thing and so this spring I popped the hood after driving in the rain for about 20 miles. It was bone dry around the air intake. Now, I'm not saying that everybody's will be that way, alot of factors, i.e. amount of rain coming down and puddled, which body style, etc...Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:55 AM   #27
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbinwaterski
About the deckplate mod - I've wondered the same thing and so this spring I popped the hood after driving in the rain for about 20 miles. It was bone dry around the air intake. Now, I'm not saying that everybody's will be that way, alot of factors, i.e. amount of rain coming down and puddled, which body style, etc...Just my 2 cents.
The air box may get hot enough to fool you by evaporating the water very quickly. Did you actually touch the filter element to see if it had got wet? Also, the direction of the wind would make a big difference also if you were moving slow.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma