Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 10:26 AM   #16
husky1
AF Newbie

Learning as we Go!

Over the course of time I have come to realize you need to let the pressure out built up by filling the tube with grease. This link tells you everything you need to know!

http://www.customtacos.com/ubbthread...ev=#Post270519
husky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:33 PM   #17
bmantia
AF Newbie

driveshaft clunk

My '02 DC auto has the exact same problem, it's at the dealer right now they called and said it's normal for 4-runners, Tacoma's etc. How do you get these morons to take a look at a known problem and fix it?
bmantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 06:20 AM   #18
husky1
AF Newbie

You Gotta Teach Em!

The easiest way to get the problem fixed is to do it yourself. If you're like me and want to stick it to the dealer any way you can there's only one way to get it done-you have to tell them how to do it! Print out this post and the posts at the link above and take it with you to the dealer. Show them that others have solved the problem and this is how they did it. If they still refuse find another dealer or contact Toyota 1-800-GO-TOYOTA.
husky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:34 AM   #19
bmantia
AF Newbie

Re: You Gotta Teach Em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky1
The easiest way to get the problem fixed is to do it yourself. If you're like me and want to stick it to the dealer any way you can there's only one way to get it done-you have to tell them how to do it! Print out this post and the posts at the link above and take it with you to the dealer. Show them that others have solved the problem and this is how they did it. If they still refuse find another dealer or contact Toyota 1-800-GO-TOYOTA.

I do want to stick to the dealer and have them fix it. So from what I've been reading some folks believe this problem is called "axle wrap" caused by the leaf springs not being stiff enough and compressing then expanding after brake release. According to your test this had nothing to do with your "clunk" I want to be relatively certain when I go to the dealer as to what I think the problem is before I demand resolution.
bmantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:58 PM   #20
westly
AF Newbie

Re: New Tacoma Dlb-Cab: Clunks into gear!!

From what I understood the "axle warp" causes the noise. The springs not being stiff enough causes the movement that in turn causes the "axle warp" and noise if the drive shaft is not lubed well enough. Lubing the drive shaft will allow it to move freely and not make the noise, stiffing the springs lessens the movement, and no movement - no noise. The dealer fix would have to be lubing, they are not going to add aftermarket parts to your truck.

I had a little noise - clunk when I got my truck with 15K. I lubed all the grease zerks and changed all the oil in everything soon after I got my truck. Now it is quieter and smoother then before and no more clunk at all.

I used AMSOIL synthetic oil, did a drain and refill on the differential, complete replacement of the ATF transmission fluid (took 2.5 gal) buy having it pumped out, and filter and engine oil. I used Mobil 1 synthetic grease on all the zerks and stopped pumping at the first sign of increased pressure.

Last edited by westly; 06-14-2004 at 02:37 PM.
westly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 11:04 PM   #21
bigdaddyjw
AF Newbie

toyota tac tranny clunk

my o2 automatic tacoma prerunner has a jolt when i accelerate after slowing down. the entire truck jolts. they called it driveline slap or something like that and said its normal. Been to dealer five times, once they greased the axle, didn't help. Then they installed different rear leaf springs, didn't help. Then i was supposed to meet with a toyota rep on a wednesday, they called me tuesday afternoon and said the guy had already come, did i want to reschedule. I forgot to mention, i live an hour away from the dealer. I said no to the reschedule and i am now in the process of a third party arbitration. I have owned 18 cars in my life, and i have to say that this toyota is the biggest piece of crap yet.
bigdaddyjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 07:54 PM   #22
thatbloke
AF Newbie

Driveline Thump

I joined this board specifically to add my 2 cents! I have had from new a 2002 Prerunner Extra cab with 42k on the clock, which I love apart from this one problem, and have had this same problem since about 30k, after 3 visits to Toyota at 2 different dealerships and a visit from a Factory rep. they still say nothing is detectable to them. In my case it only appears at warm operating temps. not from cold.

I have since tried the grease method myself from sheer frustration and it seems to work for a few days, whether this will help in the long run I am not sure, but it is still there a bump when coming to a fast stop, and I did use Moly grease. I intend to go back again now to the dealership now that I know a little more about this issue, has anyone replaced that part of the driveline to see if it cures it?

In about two months I will be towing a loaded U Haul trailer back cross country, coast to coast so if it's going to get worse we will find out for sure, I must remember to put my grease gun in the cooler next to the Red Bulls!!
thatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 06:56 AM   #23
wrigley123
AF Regular

I have an '03 taco 2WD 4 cyl mini with 40,000 miles on it. I am experiencing the "CLUNK" also. It started out quiet and has gotten louder over the past few months. It seems to only "CLUNK" when accelerating from a complete stop and right about the time the tranny kicks into first gear.

Can someone please explain the "slip joint" greasing? Is the slip joint up near the tranny? If so, I don't have any grease fittings on it. For that matter, I don't have any grease fittings anywhere on the drive shaft. Thanks

MIke
wrigley123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:27 AM   #24
wrigley123
AF Regular

I experimented this morning with the "CLUNK" problem. The "CLUNK" was not there until the truck warmed up a bit. Backed out of the driveway this morning. Placed the truck in drive. Accelerated (from a dead stop) normally and no clunk. I then accelerated (from a dead stop) very slowly and no clunk. Once the truck was warmed up I started to hear the clunk. I have no idea if this has anything to do with the problem. I don't even know if this is a problem! All I know is the "CLUNK" was not there when I originally bought the truck (new). There is no performance problems. There is no noise when I shift from park to drive. There is no noise when I shift from drive to park. There is no noise when I remove my foot from the brake pedal and start to accelerate. I know this subject has been thrown around in the past. Anyone else with a Taco mini automatic 4cyl having the same problems. Thanks

Mike
Old 11-10-2004, 09:29 PM   #25
Tacoma05
AF Newbie

I would definately go back the dealer if this continues. I had a 2002 Double Cab and the thing was as quiet as it was solid. I never heard any "clunk" from the truck (except for when I tow my boat, you know, the whole trailer catching up to the truck).
Tacoma05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:14 AM   #26
wrigley123
AF Regular

Thanks Tacoma05

I'm going to assume that your double cab is NOT a Prerunner and is NOT 4wd. Judging from the previous posts on this subject, there doesn't appear to be any "mini" owners complaining about this problem. Unless you are listening for the "CLUNK" with the radio and A/C turned off, you'll never hear it. I hear it all the time now. It may have always been there, and I just never noticed it. I practically never drive with the radio off.

I'm still trying to figure out this greasing of the "slip joint". This must be something that is only on 4wd models. I have never owned a 4wd before. I have no grease fittings on the driveshaft that is on my mini. Thanks

Mike
Old 11-11-2004, 01:31 PM   #27
Tacoma05
AF Newbie

My Double Cab was a 4x4. I since have traded it in on a 05 Double Cab.
Tacoma05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:23 AM   #28
cluster1ne2112
AF Newbie

You actually arent feeling the axle wrap, what is clunking is the rear slip joint... for some reason Toyota leaves them close to bone dry, and no one ever thinks to grease it. I had to put about 15 pumps into mine until it was actually full. I had that same problem on my 99 TRD 4x4, but after greasing that joint, its completely gone.
cluster1ne2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 12:26 AM   #29
cluster1ne2112
AF Newbie

The slip joint is on the end of the rear driveline right before the U-joint that connects to the rear differential. There is a zerk on the drive line itself, and more then likely will take quite a few pumps of grease.
cluster1ne2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 12:17 AM   #30
vh591
AF Newbie

My 04 dbl cab had the same problem. Toyo dealer tried to tell me to live with it. I learned the trick from all over the web to grease the spline. I bought the grease and did it myself. The drive shaft spline was dried when I had it removed. Anyway, I had as much grease in it as I can and the problem went away.

Good luck!
vh591 is offline   Reply With Quote