Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman
Covert Operation X SQPL

done deal
I love my Fedex guy

Now that i have the Componet Sets this thread will be my on going project thread. This wont be my first install. but it will the first system i can call mine own in my own vehicle . So as i complete an aspect of the project i will post pics and if a tutorial be needed it will be done.

Now as for these little suckers. VERY NICE. sorry they are on the bar with the Nesqick but i couldnt wait. my mom was even screaming at me because i used a steak knife to get the box open . Im planing on eventually going 100-150w one each side. i will probably port and tune around 50 or 60Hz. it will be ported just above where ever i will be crossing my 18 over. This kind of stuff takes careful planning so i will be messing around in WinISD for a while.
The only thing i am scared of is blowing the tweeters, and blowing the cross overs. so i may start off with just 2 chanels but eventually step up to an active cross over and 4 chanels (so i cna turn the tweets down, ive heard they are a bit too strong even with the 50w they are rated at).
i am also scared that the cone will smash into the grill. which is why i am going ported instead of sealed. less excursion in the lower end with more output to keep up with the 18 once it is bought.
Questions, Comments, suggestions etc... are more than welcome. but Comments and suggestions MUST BE EDUCATED. dont come in here telling me i should have gone with Pioneer because they B da SHznit...

Last edited by CBFryman; 03-05-2005 at 03:44 PM.
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Bow Before Thy Mater, Bitches (Pics/ My Project)

good stuff, when u go active, is it on a hu, or are u buyning an outboard crossover? like from tru tech or audiocontrol?

also i was guna do something like that, i was also afraid to blow the tweeters, so why not just buy a smaller amp for them? like 25-50rmsx2 amp? and buy a stronger one for the mids when u go active, just an idea
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
CBFryman
Banned

When i go active i will also be getting an EQ (untill then i will just have to controll the bass via head unit) and the EQ i get will have to have 3 way Xover or at least 2way (the amp im getting for the 18 will have an Xover in it)
as far as 2 seperate amps, im limited on space....i really only have room for 2 maybe 3 amps. and eventually i will step up to either a hammer head on the 18 or two BX1800's so id like to have justo ne amp for the mids/highs. as long as each chanel has gain controlls or F and R gain controlls i will be good.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
Johannes
Banned

That's nice... that should sound great in your truck. I have a Nissan Kingcab truck, so space is limited. I don't even know how you're going to fit an 18" in there but you say you'll still be able to put the seat all the way back?

The only thing that sucks about trucks is theft... everything is visible. From your sig it looks like you've got the back windows tinted. Does your truck have one of those pull-across cab covers? I know some Rangers do...
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
CBFryman
Banned

Theft wont be a problem with the security system going in for my birth day
plus the RE's are flush mount and i am going to flush mount the 18. the enclosure is going to extend from the floor (jump seat and jack removal) to 1-2" above the bottom of the rear winsheild. all the way across, and the seats are as far back as my dad needs them (which is 2-3 notches further than where i like to sit because i am shorter and am not expected to get much taller) with a decent lean. basically there will be plenty or room for oral when needed
i dont have one of the pull overs but even if i did it would have to be removed because of the height of the enclosure.
For thoes wondering i am geting a viper security system with 2way pager that notifies me if it has been desturbed, ignition lock out, power locks and 126dB siren with Radar sensor if anyone tries to reach into my bed.
i will then wire it up to where if the alarm is set the stereo plays a series of tones at 3/4 volume...which should be more than enough to set off any surrounding alarms.... on top of the fact that the amps wont be visible (well maybe, they may go in a plexi case on top of or on the sides of the enclosure) and the xxx18 enclosure will be bolted to the floor boards, RE enclosre glassed into the doors (ive decided agianst kick panles, when i put them in with a door panel tutorial i will tell why) and all will be flush mounted. and my head unit will be stock...and if not stock a head unit that has to be reactivated if it sences it was stolen. on top of my windows being tinted.
right now you can even see in form out side but i have been pulled over and i have to remove the current tint and replace it with 35% on the side windows. besides being illegal it is dangeros. it is so dark that when driving at night you can barely see low beams, lead alone the car itsself.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:33 PM   #6
CBFryman
Banned

oh and its about time to change my avater to something RE....since i am no longer going with adire...hmmm
Old 03-05-2005, 05:40 PM   #7
Johannes
Banned

35% tint on the sides? What do you have on the sides right now... 20%?

That sounds good, good idea getting the alarm. I need my seat to go all the way back in my truck, plus I sometimes drive with it tilted slightly back.

How are you going to wire it so that if the alarm goes off it will play tones?
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:02 PM   #8
CBFryman
Banned

There is some module they sell up at the local car audio shop that conects to viper alarms that will do that. its like an audio Turn on/RCA in. i may have to get a new head unit though if i want it to do that. i dont like messing with alarm stuff, which is why my alarm is going to be the only thing the audio shop installs on my truck.
but basically when the alarm goes off it triggers a switch that tells the head unit to come on and then inputs the series of tones. i dont know if you have to preset it for AUX in and the volume level or not but i know a few people who have them around town. it goes from like a 30Hz to a 13kHz do 40Hz to 10kHz to 50Hz to 1000Hz then 100Hz then White noise then cycles agian. i have no idea how it works, it just does .
Old 03-05-2005, 06:10 PM   #9
ec437
AF Enthusiast

mmm... aunt jemima maple syrup...

SoStAsSaId: and the flight attendant is cute... if i was a lesbian, i'd join the mile high club

<---call this number
ec437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:36 PM   #10
CBFryman
Banned

u no !t....
or as bassmaster put it over on Soundillusion
"Now That's a Breakfast
Nesquick and syrup"
Old 03-05-2005, 08:29 PM   #11
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Bow Before Thy Mater, Bitches (Pics/ My Project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
u no !t....
or as bassmaster put it over on Soundillusion
"Now That's a Breakfast
Nesquick and syrup"
I'm kinda lost here. Are you going to port the componets??? There is no need to unless you are mounting them in something other than the doors. Most componets are set up to run in poor conditions i.e.> the doors with no ports or anything.

As far as the alarm turning on th amps. Yeah you know I've heard about these for years but never seen them. Personally, I'd go for the pain generator siren for inside the cab. If anyone can stand that without their ears bleeding then they need it more than you.

After the alarm set up, email me. I can give you pointers as what to do to it so the alarm shop stays in good faith
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:38 PM   #12
CBFryman
Banned

Good Componets arent designed to run in crap conditions, not if you are looking for top of the line SQ. The only reason i am porting the mids is so i can let them extend on down into the 60Hz range with out blowing them or having the cone smash into the grille.
But When the times comes to get my alarm installed i will PM you. Ill take any advice on that kind of stuff right now because, like i said, i hate messing with alarms and i am completely ignorant on what is what.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:31 AM   #13
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ngsm13
Re: Re: Bow Before Thy Mater, Bitches (Pics/ My Project)

Quote:
and eventually i will step up to either a hammer head on the 18 or two BX1800's
What's a hammer head? TWO bx1800's is too much for the XXX daily...not for competitions then...

Quote:
Good Componets arent designed to run in crap conditions, not if you are looking for top of the line SQ. The only reason i am porting the mids is so i can let them extend on down into the 60Hz range with out blowing them or having the cone smash into the grille.
I'm sure you can do it, but the RE components were made for IB not ported. If you really want mid-bass to keep up with a 18XXX then you shoulda gone with the XXX mids ported, they're made for it. Also, the cone won't have any problem with the grille, I'm sure RE kept that in mind when the matched the grilles. If anything, the cone would move MORE if it ever went below tuning ported. peace

NG
ngsm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #14
CBFryman
Banned

That is why it is going to have a high pass right below tuning. WinISD says 24cuft sealed...lol. 1.5cuft ported tuned to 60Hz. that way the 18 will only have to handle 20-60Hz. Im not worried about doppler distortion. other than straight test tones it is hardly noticable except ofr at extreme volumes.
The RE's only need to keep up with the XXX18 up untill about 130dB peaks. which is about as loud as i will listen to rock (Distortion Pedal + Electric Guitar + higher then 130dB = Hell on earth for your ears)
after that the 18 will be used mostly for setting off car alarms, going deff, vibrateing everything within a 3/4mile radius, ya know stuff like that.
oh and Hammer head, TruTech Hammer H-1. 2000w@1ohm
Only thing is that it is only 69% efficency.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:03 PM   #15
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

hey u said ur going to port n tune ur mids,

would it be easier to use horns? (im not exactly sure what horns do, but it seems to involve the mid)
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio