Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 04:08 PM   #61
Picquerist
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Picquerist
Re: Which of these subs would you get?

you might want to look into a couple other companys also

www.stereointegrity.com
www.soundsplinter.com
www.orioncaraudio.com
Picquerist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 04:52 PM   #62
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

every W6v2 set up ive ever heard has had around the SQ of 3500 SQ set ups ive heard. of course around here all w6set ups are SPL because that is all people car about so that is all the idiotic shops install... im one of the few in this town that does my own audio work... so really i shouldnt have bashed the w6v2's but i was going on personal experence...
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 07:22 PM   #63
loismustdie
AF Enthusiast

the w6v2 is an extremely great sq sub......
Old 11-13-2004, 10:52 PM   #64
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which of these subs would you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
9500's where built for sound reproduction...what are you talking about? my god.
until i see a dd9500 score high points in the SQ portion of an IASCA comp, i will not see it as a pure sound quality sub. With such a high motor force, i don't see the objective of the engineers was for sound quality. Anyone knows that if SQ was the goal, too much BL is not good. You lose low-end performance.

Quote:
To my knowledge Adire has charts on all of hteir woofers to what sized sealed enclsoure will allow for maximum excursion... neitehr RE nor DD do this.
yes, thats why i said no company does that unless they show a chart of it.

Quote:
3.5cubes on a singular 15 displacing htat much air? and you are talking to me about SQ? i geuss so if you like the sound of a very windy port.
I know you know better than that to make such comments. the box size has almost nothing to do with port velocity. The port itself determines the velocity.

Quote:
a ported box only peaks at around the tuneing frequincy, this peak can be easily off set for SQ by low tuning and proper port size for proper port velocity. along time ago Halibane showed me what playing around in WinISD will do for you...maybe you should do the same.

sure you can tune the port lower. you smoothen out the response down low, but guess what, you'll also lose top-end. Your rolloff will be at a lower freq. than if you were to tune it at a higher freq.

[quote]
75mm is what it takes to bottom out the suspension. which can be done with out, as sr20 stated, thermaling the coils. [quote] if 75mm is the suspension, then why imply it was peak to peak xmax when comparing with the XXX? Also, the limits on the suspension does not relate to the thermal power of the coil. My idmax in an infinite baffle will reach full excursion with only 300w, but the coil will take up to 1kw daily.

Quote:
DD also markets agianst Xmax since, as is true, xmax doesnt state how well a motor can stop a coil and then turn it a round in the other direction. if 10mm out of your excursion is the morot trying to slow and pull the cone in the other dirtection bass gets slopy and isnt as loud.
xmax doesn't tell you how well it can stop a cone, but it can tell you that at xmax, you are at 70% of the total BL from the rest position. Lose more BL and you're shooting up the THD. What does tell you how well the motor can accelerate the cone is inductance.

Quote:
9500 uses a standard coil...however the magnet set up uses extra long magentic feilds. though it isnt as good as XBL it is still the highest of highs. im not and never did bash the XXX nor the Brahma. im jsut tired of everyone saying "oh yes they have XBL^2, they are the greatest in the world for SQ and SQL."
Almost all coils looks the same to me. The same ol' cylinder coil. Still highest of the high? i'm not sure what you mean, since that topology is used in almost every sub out there. And i agree, the brahma and xxx are not the end of all sub because there is no such thing.

Quote:
the XXX wasnt made to shoot out SQ either. because if they did they wouldnt be paying adire for XBL^2. they would most likely be paying JL for DMA technoligy since, after all, when looking for SQ XBL delivers almsot no THD but DMA does also. the XXX is a widely used SPL woofer and so is the Brahma and so is the 9100, 9500, and 9900 (which are so expensive because DD only makes a limited ammount).
The XXX wasn't made to shoot out SQ? i beg to differ. Please talk to my friend David over at RE. The design itself has SQ written all over it. I'm not sure why RE would ask JL for the technology. Adire audio are built by Destijl. RE happens to be Destijl and they share some of the same stuff. Wouldn't be logical to go to another company. Again, I don't think you know exactly why RE uses the XBL^2.

The design of the XBL^2 is cheaper than the DMA of JL. They have the SAME goals, but different approach to it. The XBL^2 has the top plate designed to channel flux, so you don't lose as much BL when your cone moves. In the JL audio, the vented pole piece is crossed-drilled to channel the flux. With JL's method, you would need to have a longer coil, and that increases the inductance. JL's method is more expensive than Adire's method.

Quote:
3500's are good for daily drivers, if you where looking for SQ i would have reccomended the 9100 or 2500. but w/e.
I did not see a 9100 back then to buy it. All i saw was a 3500 so i went with what was there.

As yourself this, are you really going to buy a sub at MSRP?
You can get a 13w7 with warranty if you know where to look. that "only" 300 more is now "only" 700 more. I'll take (2) 13w7 over a 9917.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:43 AM   #65
CBFryman
Banned

well 1299 is also MSRP for the 9917... you can get them for probably 950 new and 600 used and 400 if they have a burnt coil. id say buy the one with the burnt coil from an SPL competitor. and then send it off to DD to have it reconed and/or just re-coiled. im not sure of DD's prices for that as they constantly vary but it would probably cost you around 150 for just a recoil and around 300 for recone and recoil. id go through all that hassle to me some DD's.... another thing, i liek to be different... 17's by a company no one has heard of... well yes i would spend the extra 300 or w/e for it. but thats just me.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:40 AM   #66
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg

DD can put in a new coil without a whole new spider/cone assembly? didn't know that. lol.

Last i checked for the 9500, reconing was around 250 also +/- $50 . I found a blown 9515 for $100+shipping last time, but it was the b-model, not e
Old 11-14-2004, 11:18 AM   #67
CBFryman
Banned

im sorry, i had it backwards, its 150 if the coil is still good but your gone has say a hole in it or something.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:44 PM   #68
skeavs
AF Newbie

May i ask a question, why is one 15" better then two 12"?
skeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 04:21 PM   #69
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Which of these subs would you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeavs
May i ask a question, why is one 15" better then two 12"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20de4evr
As for 2 12s vs 1 15, in general the 15 will be able to play lower due to a lower resonant frequency, but the pair of 12's 9 times out of 10 will out displace the 15, meaning they will have the ability to get slightly louder at full output. However, to reach full output, they'll need twice as much power and a larger box.
plus a pair of 12's will cost almost twice as much

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:03 AM   #70
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to threedd97 Send a message via AIM to threedd97
Good thread, I've learned more in one week than I have in 5 years because of all of this debating and great responses to my questions. Thanks everyone! Now my final obstacle to overcome is a design for a box to fit into the trunk of a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT. I'll post the dimensions in a second.

Interior Cargo Volume 16.0cu.ft
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Possibly a Cadence ZRS-10
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
threedd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:55 PM   #71
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Also, would the ZRS-9 amplifier be considerably better for a single 15" XXX over the ZRS-8?

http://www.audio-direct.com/cgi-bin/...?itemnum=ZRS-9

Also, what exactly is the Magic 3 upgrade?
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
Old 11-16-2004, 03:15 PM   #72
loismustdie
AF Enthusiast

imo thats too much for a sub amp..........get a jbl 1200.1 or two, or three and your still under the price of that amp, a waste if ya ask me....
Old 11-16-2004, 03:19 PM   #73
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

I don't like JBL all that much.
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
Old 11-16-2004, 03:26 PM   #74
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

At the most you'll only gain about a decibel by going with the zrs-9 over the 8, but you will gain some headroom. The zrs-8 should put out a bit over 1500 anyway, I think it would be fine.

And sure you could buy a lot of JBLs for less, but they aren't as good, no matter how many you have. The sound quality isn't as good, and their 1ohm stability is questionable. I would much rather have mine over a pair of brutus 1500ds or a pair of JBL 1200.1s. In my opinion if you have the money it's not a bad choice at all, I still have yet to read a negative review on any cadence amp, period. And I also noticed a significant improvement in sound quality when I switched from my Avionixx to the Cadence.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 04:19 PM   #75
loismustdie
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by threedd97
I don't like JBL all that much.
i hope thats an opinion, because those jbl amps are great, they'll put out somthin like 1350 at 2 ohms, and will do the same at 1 ohm.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio