Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 12:01 AM   #1
hemidog
AF Newbie

Q for 05 taco owner

just woundering what you like and dislike about the new 05 after driving it for a while compared to the older tacomas?
hemidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:10 AM   #2
corbinwaterski
AF Regular

Re: Q for 05 taco owner

I don't think anybody has got their hands on a new '05 yet. But I could be wrong.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
lifetrddeath
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to lifetrddeath Send a message via Yahoo to lifetrddeath

Well as far as looks go, I think the new ones are pretty sharp. And if they do have a V8 version available with then that would be awesome too. It looks like it is designed to be dropped, just the way the body is. Might look kinda dumb lifted.
lifetrddeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:50 PM   #4
Vroom2
AF Enthusiast

I'v read a number of reviews. The styling is impressive. I love the larger size and, of course, the larger V6 and six-speed manual. I'm as anxious as you to hear some feedback!

Take care,
Jerry

-------------------------------------------------------------------
'03 GMC Yukon Denali; www.suvworld.com/vroomvroom
'04 GMC Yukon Denali XL; www.suvworld.com/mrsvroom
'04 Toyota Tacoma XtraCab V6 4x4; www.toyotatruckworld.com/vroomvroom
Vroom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:03 PM   #5
hemidog
AF Newbie

i went to the dealer to look at one and the salesman said that the crew cab doesn't come with a 6speed only the e/c does.
hemidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
wormhole
AF Newbie

that's bs. all of the tacomas have the opition for a manual transmission except the doulbe cab long bed.
wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 08:14 PM   #7
ScotR
AF Newbie

I just bought a new 04 Tacoma last week. One 05 was on the lot. Side by side, the 05 was much bigger. I liked the classic Toyota truck look of the 04 better.
ScotR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:21 PM   #8
Howard70
AF Newbie

Drove Both on Saturday

I drove crewcab versions of both on Saturday. The 04 was fourwheel drive and the 05 was a prerunner (no 4x4 available at the dealer I visited.

Here's my impressions:

1. I'm after an offroad field vehicle to replace my modified '87 4 runner. The changes I want are more power, easier accessibility to the rear seat, and a cargo area separated from the passenger area (muddy equipment and spare gas cans).

I want to maintain the modified 4runner's offroad ability (31" wheels, 2" lift, Trutrac limited slip frnt diff, ARB air locking diff rear, small winch [4500 lb], etc.

2. The 04 looks to be a great replacement platform for the above 4runner w/ similar modifications (I would go for the Toyota locking diff in the rear). With similar lift and replacement bumpers it looks like the offroad ability would be similar.

The 05 doesn't look as easily modified for serious offroad work. The front bumper and skid plate seem to protect some serious radiator or oil coolers (I couldn't tell which) that look as though they'd be vulnerable in a lot of the terrain we cover. I thnk that the 05 might report greater ground clearance, but I think that is playing with numbers. My impression was there was more vulernable "stuff" down low. Please don't flame me for providing ambiguous impressions! I only had about 15 minutes to look at both before driving.

3. Driving. The 05 wins hands down. The 04 accelerated slower than I wanted (V6 with automatic). The 05 had noticeably more power - I suspect this was a result of the larger engine AND the five speed automatic (couldn't drive a six speed manual).

Both rode well. My wife rode in the back on both test drives and she was comfortable in the 04, but felt the 05 was "nicer." She noted that she had to twist her feet to get in and out of the rear of the 04, where the 05 was a smoother more direct entry and exit. Small details, important only if passenger's impressions are meaningful to you.

The 05 has more noticably more width and "space" inside, both front an rear. However, for a serious working truck the interior seems a bit overdone for my taste (remember I'm coming from an '87 with cranking windows!). I would be reluctant to climb into the 05 with muddy boots!

4. Other details. I understand that the 05 is only available with an electronically controlled transfer case. While cool, I'm reluctant to give up tried and true shift levers. The only thing that has failed on my '87 is an electronically controlled rear window - that's a slight inconvience when 200 miles from pavement in Mexico but a failed electronic control on a transfer case might mean a lot of digging...

The 05 has more space in the short bed than the 04 (couldn't see a longbed). Lots of sophisticated bells and whistles back there (110 volt outlet, nice tiedowns, etc.) However the bed is not metal with a liner. The bed itself is a synthetic material. Looks strong and will probably last, but do we really know how well it will take 10 years in the sun?

Conclusions. Both are great trucks. The increased power would probably seduce me to the 05, but the 04 is a classic. I suppose I could supercharge an 04, but that would bring the cost pretty high.

Howard
Howard70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:53 PM   #9
lifetrddeath
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to lifetrddeath Send a message via Yahoo to lifetrddeath

The bed had a 110 outlet, sweet! I know when I get the bed of my '00 prerunner done up nicer than it currently is (line-x and bedrug) I'm gonna add some speakers, amps, coupl eof monitors and some 110 outlets in the. cool to think you could get the outlets straight off the lot.
lifetrddeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 05:56 PM   #10
cuttr28
AF Newbie

05 Double cab 4x4

Just want to say hey to everyone, new to the Toyota Forum, just picked up my 05 last Wednesday. I have been a Ford Man for the last 25 years but I went with the 05 Tacoma after I traded in a 04 Ford F-150 Screw 4x4 Lariat because it was a piece of junk. Had troubles from the gitgo. Well anyway hope to learn about Toyo's in this forum, I do like and so does the wifey this new Tacoma, sweet ride with lots of get-up and go. Talk to yall later, the F-150 forum was glad to see me go since I have been ragging on the 04 F-150 and told them I went and bought a Tacoma to replace it, gotta love it.
cuttr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:56 PM   #11
mirrorChrist
AF Newbie

Thumbs up

i've been a toyota guy for 10 years, but am new to the forum. i currently own a 2005 tacoma double cab prerunner and 1997 4runner. i must say, the 05taco is the best toyota i've ever owned...i love it (i may even trade in my wife's 4runner to get her one... she loves it too. it's easy with our two kids' carseats and all)... lots of power and a very smooth ride. the cab seems so much bigger. the new bed has already had some use, but you'd never know it. toyota definitely kicked it up a notch.
mirrorChrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:07 PM   #12
LeJeune
AF Newbie

I just bought an 05 Doublecab longbed TRD Sport 4x4. I really like the truck just after market stuff has been a pain. I guess that's the breaks for getting the newest thing. I went from an 01 extra cab to an 04 doublecab to the 05. I tell you, the truck is awesome. I just wish the Longbed had a TRD Offroad option. The sport doesn't have the rear dif lock and comes with a hood scoop that is pretty much useless. Also, forget installing a supercharger to this engine (not that you will need it with the 245 hp). I'm definately satisfied with it. Just a word of advice on buying. I went to carsdirect.com and solicited a bid from area dealerships. When they called I told them that the dealer with the best price gets the deal. I bought it from one who gave me a 1200 dollar discount off msrp. I think I did pretty good. Go ahead and get one.
LeJeune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:36 PM   #13
Shredhead
AF Enthusiast

Well there's things I do and don't like about the 05 more power cool synthetic bed uncool the stereo neat lookin but doesn't let you do a lot with it, Im told that a lot of car makers are doing the same. But one thing that caught my eye was a standard cab pre-runner 5 speed manual.
Shredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:40 AM   #14
05 TRD Taco
AF Newbie

I owned a 03 4x2 V-6 Tacoma Pre-runner B4 getting the 05 4x2 TRD sport and driving now is like night and day.
The power and smooth ride the new Tacoma's have is like driving a full size V-8!

Last edited by 05 TRD Taco; 02-12-2005 at 11:28 AM.
05 TRD Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:26 PM   #15
SuperStock96
AF Regular

The room is incredible! I am a fairly big guy and disliked the previous Tacomas because they were too small. I just bought a Double cab and the back seats are almost as comfortable as the fronts. It is a few inches wider too. Nice elbow room.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma