Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 02:18 AM   #16
KMoney28
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to KMoney28
Anyone have a phone number for RE that I can order subs from? Thanks
KMoney28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 12:43 PM   #17
KMoney28
AF Enthusiast

Haha nevermind I found the number. Still having trouble with box specs though, should I give it the full 6cf of space for the port or a little less? I'm going for more spl.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:37 PM   #18
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: New Sub Recommendations

You would need the whole thing, ports take up a lot of room. I really don't know if you'll have enough space for it, each sub would need around 2-2.5cf, and then you add in a port with enough port area to get rid of any port noise, and you're at or above 6cf total (the port doesn't count as part of the volume, but it does increase the size of the box obviously). RE's recommendation is 5cf tuned to 35hz, but when you factor in the size of that port, the box is over 7cf.

I think a single ported XXX15 would be a better choice personally, stick it in about 3.5-4cf with a 33hz tune, and you'll be golden.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 06:47 PM   #19
CocaColaEatsPie
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to CocaColaEatsPie Send a message via Yahoo to CocaColaEatsPie

Yeah I agree. Go with one 15 XXX if you can fit it. Not only will it sound better with that amount of room, but not many people... well usual people have a 15 inch sub, they all think their 10 inch sony's are better than everything because it's red and says sony on it. I wish I could fit a 15... and I wish I could afford an XXX.
CocaColaEatsPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 02:06 AM   #20
KMoney28
AF Enthusiast

Hmm, now I'm stuck. How would 2 12's sound with 6cf? Would it sound good or like ass? I'd rather have 2 subs as opposed to 1 simply because I like the look of it better? Is the spl going to be significantly different between the 2 setups given my trunk space? If it is then I suppose I can compromise...
Old 09-19-2004, 03:00 AM   #21
pac4eva5
AF Regular

CocaCola-
dont you have a prelude? i can easily fit a 15" sub in mine........
pac4eva5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 03:32 AM   #22
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMoney28
Hmm, now I'm stuck. How would 2 12's sound with 6cf? Would it sound good or like ass? I'd rather have 2 subs as opposed to 1 simply because I like the look of it better? Is the spl going to be significantly different between the 2 setups given my trunk space? If it is then I suppose I can compromise...

The thing is you have 6cf going by external dimensions, once you add in sub displacement, the area taken up by the mdf, and the area needed for a port large enough to get rid of any port noise, you only have 3.5-4cf to work with. Technically it would work, but I think you'll have better results going with a single 15. You can give it the space it needs/deserves, you'll get similar output, your electrical system might actually be able to handle the draw, and you'll have the boner factor of owning a 15 (which IMO is at least as big, if not bigger than the boner of owning 2 12's).

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:29 AM   #23
CocaColaEatsPie
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to CocaColaEatsPie Send a message via Yahoo to CocaColaEatsPie

pac4eva, you really put a 15 in the prelude, without removing the seats or spare tire? How'd you do it?
CocaColaEatsPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 04:55 PM   #24
pac4eva5
AF Regular

oh yeah, forgot, i did remove the spare tire
pac4eva5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 07:48 PM   #25
KMoney28
AF Enthusiast

Regardless if I go with 1 15 or 2 12's, I have an optima yellowtop and a 5 farad cap. Would it be useful to switch to 0 gauge wire? I'm running 4 gauge right now. Would 0 make a big difference in sound and with the electrical system? Is switching to 0 gauge wire worth the hassle or should I stick with 4?
Old 09-19-2004, 07:59 PM   #26
KMoney28
AF Enthusiast

Also, would a 15" be good bass for playing music with. Some people have told me to get 12's as opposed to 15's if I'm playing music. When I say I'm going for spl I don't mean competition style, I only wanna be loud amongst my friends, I definitely still wanna be able to street beat. What do you guys think, how does bass sound compare between 12's and 15's? Your feedback is appreciated since I have no prior experience with 15's and absolutely wanna be sure that I make the right choice before I drop the loot.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:13 PM   #27
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

2 12's with the same paramaters of one 15 with the same input power will be louder and slightly more precise than 1 15....good quality 15's such as DDaudio or RE or barahma (sp?) will have very little difference in sound quality betwen 12's and 15's....where as mainstream woofers such as audiobahn will actually sacrifice motor sencitivity for power handleing which, in most cases, causes a 15 to sound sort of muddy compared to a 12 of the same line...in theory a 15 should be more sensitive @1wx1m than 1 12 with the same motor and suspension design because there is more surface area for the woofer to push with the very little power previded....but mainstream companies, for some reason, think that if they make a 12 with an 88dB sensitivity @1wx1m and can handle 400w RMS then the 15 of that same line should be able to handle more...like say 500w RMS...but in order to do this they must sacrifice sensitivity....and sicne a 15 is already more sensitive than a 12 then they can afford that and have the 15 have an 88dB sensitivity also and make it sound like the 15 is better all around...when in actuality the 15 may be muddy...go to DDaudio.com and look at any one of their woofers...a 10" woofer will have the same power handleing as a 15 but the 15 will be more sensitive...why? because the 15 has more surface to push wit hthe same motor and suspension...i have seen SQ set ups with a single 15....ive heard of SQ setups with a single 18....ive seen SPL set ups with 8's....basicly the more power, cone area, and sensitivity you have the louder your speaker will be...and 15's are fine for music...18's are fine for music....its not the sizeof a woofer its the company who makes it that determines whether or not a woofer is responsive enough for everday music listening....
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:14 PM   #28
slammedscion
AF Regular

what do u guys think of the kicker solox?
slammedscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:17 PM   #29
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

hmmm its soso....moves alot of air when you feed it the power it asks for....
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 08:43 PM   #30
KMoney28
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: New Sub Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
2 12's with the same paramaters of one 15 with the same input power will be louder and slightly more precise than 1 15....good quality 15's such as DDaudio or RE or barahma (sp?) will have very little difference in sound quality betwen 12's and 15's....where as mainstream woofers such as audiobahn will actually sacrifice motor sencitivity for power handleing which, in most cases, causes a 15 to sound sort of muddy compared to a 12 of the same line...in theory a 15 should be more sensitive @1wx1m than 1 12 with the same motor and suspension design because there is more surface area for the woofer to push with the very little power previded....but mainstream companies, for some reason, think that if they make a 12 with an 88dB sensitivity @1wx1m and can handle 400w RMS then the 15 of that same line should be able to handle more...like say 500w RMS...but in order to do this they must sacrifice sensitivity....and sicne a 15 is already more sensitive than a 12 then they can afford that and have the 15 have an 88dB sensitivity also and make it sound like the 15 is better all around...when in actuality the 15 may be muddy...go to DDaudio.com and look at any one of their woofers...a 10" woofer will have the same power handleing as a 15 but the 15 will be more sensitive...why? because the 15 has more surface to push wit hthe same motor and suspension...i have seen SQ set ups with a single 15....ive heard of SQ setups with a single 18....ive seen SPL set ups with 8's....basicly the more power, cone area, and sensitivity you have the louder your speaker will be...and 15's are fine for music...18's are fine for music....its not the sizeof a woofer its the company who makes it that determines whether or not a woofer is responsive enough for everday music listening....
So, your advice is to go with 2 12's? SR said that one 15 would be a better setup. Since both sizes have the same rms and what not, is it at this point that the size/design of the box and port kick in? If I'm not mistaken, SR said I'd be better with the 15 because I'd have the proper cf needed for 1 15 as opposed to 2 12's. I just want the subs to hit hard and not sound like crap, seems as though I can achieve this from either 1 15" or 2 12", correct? How good/bad would 2 12's really sound with my space available? If the difference is slim to nill, then I won't be as concerned as I am now. Also, what do you guys think about 0 gauge wire?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio