Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
flashlight
AF Regular

Question Are allfront wheel bearings the same?

Just curious to know if both the inner and outer front wheel bearing are the same, or are they different? All help is greatly appreciated.
flashlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
HannabilRox
AF Newbie

Re: Are allfront wheel bearings the same?

For the 89 - 94 Metro's with the 12" tires and the solid brake rotor, the inner and outer front wheel bearings are the same part. If you have a LSI convertible, or a 1995 - 2001 Metro with the 13" tires and vented brake rotors, it is a completely different bearing, and only has 1 bearing per side ( not an inner and outer ).
HannabilRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
flashlight
AF Regular

I'm about 90% sure that I have a solid brake rotor on the front. The weird part is that it's a 93 engine in a 94 body with 13" tires on it. And it has two ball bearings per side on the front. Also this is on the standard model.

Is there a way to convert the front of that it only needs the one bearing per side or do I just have to deal with it needing two per side?
flashlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
Metro Mighty Mouse
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashlight View Post
I'm about 90% sure that I have a solid brake rotor on the front. The weird part is that it's a 93 engine in a 94 body with 13" tires on it. And it has two ball bearings per side on the front. Also this is on the standard model.

Is there a way to convert the front of that it only needs the one bearing per side or do I just have to deal with it needing two per side?
Nothing weird in that statement. The engine has nothing to do with the wheel bearings so no big deal with the engine being the wrong year. The wheels are potentially an optional size from the manufacturer or an early year change or someone has put later wheels on the car. This also would make no change to the wheel bearings.

To change to the later style single wheel bearing would probably require changing the front suspension to the later style but at the very least would require changing to the later spindles, if they are interchangeable.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:47 AM   #5
Woodie83
AF Enthusiast

All Metros that came with 12" wheels (all 89-94 except convertibles) came with solid rotors, 10mm lugs, and two bearings with a spacer between that must be hammered on and off (hub must be removed to replace the rotors).

Metros and Swifts that came with 13" wheels (all Swifts except GTi, convertibles, and all 95-01) came with the double wheel bearing (actually two bearings in one cartridge) much better brakes with vented rotors that can be easily changed without removing the hub or bearings, and 12mm lugs that are the proper size for standard wheels.

They can be swapped over but require the entire hub/knuckle/brake assembly to be changed.

98 Metro and 06 Aerio SX

Don't waste your vote on one or the other of the Republicrats, vote for Gary Johnson and really do something for a change
http://www.garyjohnson2012.com

Woodie83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
DOCTORBILL
Geo Metro Lover

Back about 5 years ago, my front wheel bearings on THE PHOENIX (1993),
started making noise when turning left at high speed.

I had just obtained my old friend.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=472753

That was one of my first threads here on this forum - no pics at that time.

So I took off the rotors and spindle and had the old bearings pressed out and new ones
put in at a local auto shop.

Tried it myself and it soon became obvious that one needed an Hydraulic press - i.e. the right tools.

The shop guy had to work hard to get them out !

I don't remember anything about the bearings, but I posted the above thread here.

It was not cheap to do.

The Front end has been just fine ever since....

DoctorBill

DOCTORBILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
carpenter_jai
AF Stunt Driver

If you're going to end up doing some extra work to change someone else's incomplete upgrade I would be tempted to look for parts from a swift at whatever parts yard is convenient for you. You can stick with the 13 inch tires this way and get the better front end at the same time. Just my own

Good Luck!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro