Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Metro
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
doug2060
AF Regular

1991 Metro Rear Wheel Bearing Issue.

Hello, Just stopping in for some advice. I am having a recurring issue with my rear passenger side wheel bearings. About 2 years ago I started hearing the bearing making a bit of a hum. I cleaned it up and packed in some grease and it went away for 4 or 5 months then came back. I then took a drum with the bearings off my parts car. It did it again after a few months. So I got the other side off the parts car and again the same result... I just keep having to pack it in with grease after a few months and it's fine for a while. I have even used 2 types of heavy duty grease. Is the grease coming out? There are no signs of it... The spindle is in perfect condition... Any thoughts...
doug2060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Rooy
AF Newbie

Re: 1991 Metro Rear Wheel Bearing Issue.

What are you torquing the spindle nut to? Should be 74 ft-lbs. Some manuals give the same spec as the front, 129 ft-lbs, which is wrong.

How are you packing the bearings? Are you removing the outer bearing seals and just smearing some grease in? Grease compatibility could be an issue, and you really shouldn't mix greases unless you know they are the same type or are compatible.
Rooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
doug2060
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooy View Post
What are you torquing the spindle nut to? Should be 74 ft-lbs. Some manuals give the same spec as the front, 129 ft-lbs, which is wrong.

How are you packing the bearings? Are you removing the outer bearing seals and just smearing some grease in? Grease compatibility could be an issue, and you really shouldn't mix greases unless you know they are the same type or are compatible.
Nut torque is right. I'm taking the whole thing off and cleaning out as much grease as possible. I'm then re-greasing it and putting the drum back on. If anything, I'm using too much grease. Perhaps I should just replace everything back there...
Old 11-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Rooy
AF Newbie

You can't really re-use the bearings once you've removed them since you have to tap them out by the inner race. This will damage them.

Make sure you are not missing the spacer between the bearings. If there's no spacer, that will cause the bearings to die quickly.

You can get bearings pretty cheap here: http://www.autoparts123.com/ShopByVe...+Seals&mode=PA

They're probably not the best (made in China), but I have some Chinese bearings on the front and they work fine.

You want to pack the bearings if they are sealed on both sides half full (just pack one side full). If they are open on the inside, you can also fill the inner space half full with grease.
Rooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Scrapper
AF Premium User

if your getting the bearing's packed rightr? another thing is trourqe they have to be at like he said? and are changing race's along with bearings. if your doing this rite i wander if spindle or spidles may be bent causing this.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
doug2060
AF Regular

I am starting to think there is a problem with the spindle.
I will just replace the spindle and all...