Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 04:30 PM   #1
nmdesperado
AF Newbie

Lightbulb 2004 RS3200+ Upgrade

OK, let's get this info all in one place. If you purchase the security upgrade for a Tacoma with remote locks, you already have all the wiring for the complete security system, except the status monitor / GBS (glass breakagesensor) which you may find on Ebay for ~$70, to $125 from a Toyota dealership discounting parts on the internet (like I did before I learned about the Ebay option). I was expecting a wiring harness and a bunch of electronic parts - all I got was the status monitor / GBS.

Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery terminal.

The monitor / GBS installs in the blank next to the power outlets in the lower central dash bracket cover. You will probably break the two "clips" (one on each side) that hold the lower part of the bracket cover when you pry them out. Slide out the ashtray by holding down the shield that pops up when you pull the tray out. With the ashtray out reach behind the bracket cover where the ashtray was and pull the top forward to release the two upper metal snap-in holders. Unplug the power leads to the two power outlets and place the bracket cover to the side. The connector you need for the status monitor / GBS is folded back on itself and tied (mine was taped with white plastic tape) to another piece of wiring harness. If you look through the cutouts behind where the ashtray was you should spot the connector. I used an exacto-knife through the cutout to cut the tape holding the connector - you must cut the connector loose or it won't reach the status monitor / GBS pigtail. From the drivers side use your left hand to reach behind the lower mount bracket and feed the connector alongside the two power leads. Route the connector beside the two power outlet leads and plug the status monitor / GBS pigtail into the connector you found. Wrap the connector with one of the sticky back foam tapes you should have received in the "kit", and put everything back like you found it - go to the dearlership and order two new color matching "clips" if you broke yours (like I did).

Now...to ENABLE your new security system you must remove the lower dash cover by removing four bolts and one screw holding it on. You should be able to leave the hood latch connected if your are careful - you can remove the latch and disconnect the cable if you want to remove the panel from the work area. Look at the wiring harness near the steering column- you should see a large white plastic existing wiring harness clip with several harness members passing through it. To the left you should see a small white single wire/single pin connector - DISCONNECT this connector and secure the two ends with a tie-down - replace the panel and you should be in business.
nmdesperado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 03:40 AM   #2
redtoy92
AF Regular

Re: 2004 RS3200+ Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmdesperado
OK, let's get this info all in one place. If you purchase the security upgrade for a Tacoma with remote locks, you already have all the wiring for the complete security system, except the status monitor / GBS (glass breakagesensor) which you may find on Ebay for ~$70, to $125 from a Toyota dealership discounting parts on the internet (like I did before I learned about the Ebay option). I was expecting a wiring harness and a bunch of electronic parts - all I got was the status monitor / GBS.

Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery terminal.

The monitor / GBS installs in the blank next to the power outlets in the lower central dash bracket cover. You will probably break the two "clips" (one on each side) that hold the lower part of the bracket cover when you pry them out. Slide out the ashtray by holding down the shield that pops up when you pull the tray out. With the ashtray out reach behind the bracket cover where the ashtray was and pull the top forward to release the two upper metal snap-in holders. Unplug the power leads to the two power outlets and place the bracket cover to the side. The connector you need for the status monitor / GBS is folded back on itself and tied (mine was taped with white plastic tape) to another piece of wiring harness. If you look through the cutouts behind where the ashtray was you should spot the connector. I used an exacto-knife through the cutout to cut the tape holding the connector - you must cut the connector loose or it won't reach the status monitor / GBS pigtail. From the drivers side use your left hand to reach behind the lower mount bracket and feed the connector alongside the two power leads. Route the connector beside the two power outlet leads and plug the status monitor / GBS pigtail into the connector you found. Wrap the connector with one of the sticky back foam tapes you should have received in the "kit", and put everything back like you found it - go to the dearlership and order two new color matching "clips" if you broke yours (like I did).

Now...to ENABLE your new security system you must remove the lower dash cover by removing four bolts and one screw holding it on. You should be able to leave the hood latch connected if your are careful - you can remove the latch and disconnect the cable if you want to remove the panel from the work area. Look at the wiring harness near the steering column- you should see a large white plastic existing wiring harness clip with several harness members passing through it. To the left you should see a small white single wire/single pin connector - DISCONNECT this connector and secure the two ends with a tie-down - replace the panel and you should be in business.

here is one for a 2003. might be the same. http://www.customtacos.com/tech/inde...x_v2&id=12&c=6
redtoy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 12:40 PM   #3
'03trd
AF Newbie

I just got the parts from E-Bay.

I would like to get the time to get it in this week.

Thanks for your time,
'03trd is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tacoma