Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 10:26 AM   #16
Sham365

Quote:
Originally posted by dancing queen
Hello

not all kiwis go in for big numbers

Eh, a dancing queen can mean a lot of things in the States...:flash:
Old 04-19-2002, 11:26 AM   #17
87accordlxi
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to 87accordlxi Send a message via AIM to 87accordlxi Send a message via Yahoo to 87accordlxi
JE123, nice car! i love ciera's. dont ask me why, but i do
Old 04-19-2002, 11:30 AM   #18
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
Quote:
Originally posted by JD@af
Now, all you post whores, stop whoring this thread :finger: But seriously. Thank you very much :sun:
You know policy has been, and remains, not to close OT threads. But I respectfully ask you to stop the whoring, please. And thank you, once again.
JD@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 11:31 AM   #19
Gonthrax
Skyline Guy

Send a message via AIM to Gonthrax
Quote:
You know policy has been, and remains, not to close OT threads. But I respectfully ask you to stop the whoring, please. And thank you, once again.
The man has spoken, but it the meen time, hello all you guys and gals I haven't talked to yet
Member of AF's Slide Squad (Member #04)

Quote:
Originally posted by taranaki
Postcounts - Phoey....it's not how often you speak,it's whether you actually say anything that matters.

Neishlin Motors
Soon to be my best friend
Gonthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 01:32 PM   #20
kris
Off playing with fire.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sham365
When does one officially cross from NEWBIE to MEMBER to VETERAN?

I figure after 50 posts you aren't a newbie...anything over 300 and you are a regular. Anything over 1000 and must be from NZ.

Anybody I dont recognize, is a newbie to me.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 02:42 PM   #21
emadboy200
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to emadboy200 Send a message via Yahoo to emadboy200
Im a newbie
emadboy200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 04:04 PM   #22
Damien
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Damien Send a message via MSN to Damien
Quote:
You know......you would think would let us have a little fun whoring? What's so wrong........it's a thread meant for it. If I actually sat here and type something long on the actually interesting threads...........it would take forever to build up posts. I've never read the actually rules on post whoring.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:35 PM   #23
EightOhOne
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by emadboy200
Im a newbie
same here :coolguy:
EightOhOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 09:26 PM   #24
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
For those of you who are truly new members to the AF board, WELCOME!

For those of you who are merely postwhoring, well, you know where you can go... PHOT... where did you think I was going to say???

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 09:37 PM   #25
dancing queen
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sham365

Eh, a dancing queen can mean a lot of things in the States...:flash:
....to a horny teenage kid maybe...

Its also a 1980's song by ABBA
dancing queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 01:05 AM   #26
JD@af
Missing in action

Send a message via ICQ to JD@af Send a message via AIM to JD@af
Quote:
Originally posted by Damien

You know......you would think would let us have a little fun whoring? What's so wrong........it's a thread meant for it. If I actually sat here and type something long on the actually interesting threads...........it would take forever to build up posts. I've never read the actually rules on post whoring.
Okay, let's lay some ground rules on "post whoring" then.

Post whoring is posting for the sake of posting, i.e. just to increase your post count and/or to get your username seen and known around the boards. If you are a newbie and are doing this, it in understandable, and even permissible, particularly in the latter case.

Now here's what's bad about post working: post whoring, first and foremost, slows the server, significantly. You ever find that at times AF is just as slow as molasses, like it will take perhaps two to three minutes to load a page, and that's a page without images (and please note that I have cable internet.. don't even want to imagine how bad it must be for some of you using dial up)? If you were to eliminate all the post whoring, imagine how much smoother and faster the server would be.

Another negative of post whoring is that it drags threads drastically off topic. As a general guideline, you should try to keep your posts on topic with the first, subject post of any given thread. Otherwise, newcomers to the thread wind up having to wade through pages and pages of garbage that may be exchanged by just a handful of members to each other, just to read something that actually pertains to the original topic of the thread. This can get very irritating, and the fear is that some people will get very turned off by it.

Now I am not saying that I am against post whoring all together - I catch myself doing it plenty, so I'd be a hypocrite if I was. In moderation, it is fine. And if you read through the OT threads (both the AF OT and especially the PH OT) you will see that the moderators more than let the members have their fun with it. It is even encouraged to an extent. Around late January, we dealt with a post whoring "crisis" (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t25605.html), which is when this no thread closing rule was initiated. In general since then, things have slowly but surely gotten better around here, thankfully

In most forums at AF, post whoring is dealt with swift action. In the only forum that is officially mine to moderate, Philosophizing, you will find that I am completely intolerant of any post whoring. But, OT is a haven for the laid back atmosphere condusive to post whoring. The AF moderating staff understands the laid back aspects of this are very important to our image, and our continued success. We strive to keep that image buffed and polished to a spit shine; but on the same token, we refuse to be regarded as pushovers.

This particular case is one where kbslacker wished for new members to post and say hi, and almost immediately people used it as an excuse to post whore - I am not singling anybody out, please take note that this is not my intention here - and I am not referring to new members like you, Damien, but members who are not new. This is what I consider blatant exploitation of a lenient policy, and sometimes it goes too far. This is a fine example of post whoring that should be curbed. So my posts are a friendly reminder that there are loose guidelines to be adhered to - and I hope that's "crystal" to everyone.

Sorry for talking all of your ears off. But I felt something needed to be said here.

Last edited by JD@af; 04-20-2002 at 01:38 AM.
JD@af is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:02 AM   #27
Ssom
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ssom Send a message via AIM to Ssom
Quote:

Post whoring is posting for the sake of posting, i.e. just to increase your post count and/or to get your username seen and known around the boards. If you are a newbie and are doing this, it in understandable, and even permissible, particularly in the latter case.

Now here's what's bad about post working: post whoring, first and foremost, slows the server, significantly. You ever find that at times AF is just as slow as molasses, like it will take perhaps two to three minutes to load a page, and that's a page without images (and please note that I have cable internet.. don't even want to imagine how bad it must be for some of you using dial up)? If you were to eliminate all the post whoring, imagine how much smoother and faster the server would be.

Another negative of post whoring is that it drags threads drastically off topic. As a general guideline, you should try to keep your posts on topic with the first, subject post of any given thread. Otherwise, newcomers to the thread wind up having to wade through pages and pages of garbage that may be exchanged by just a handful of members to each other, just to read something that actually pertains to the original topic of the thread. This can get very irritating, and the fear is that some people will get very turned off by it.

Now I am not saying that I am against post whoring all together - I catch myself doing it plenty, so I'd be a hypocrite if I was. In moderation, it is fine. And if you read through the OT threads (both the AF OT and especially the PH OT) you will see that the moderators more than let the members have their fun with it. It is even encouraged to an extent. Around late January, we dealt with a post whoring "crisis" (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t25605.html), which is when this no thread closing rule was initiated. In general since then, things have slowly but surely gotten better around here, thankfully

In most forums at AF, post whoring is dealt with swift action. In the only forum that is officially mine to moderate, Philosophizing, you will find that I am completely intolerant of any post whoring. But, OT is a haven for the laid back atmosphere condusive to post whoring. The AF moderating staff understands the laid back aspects of this are very important to our image, and our continued success. We strive to keep that image buffed and polished to a spit shine; but on the same token, we refuse to be regarded as pushovers.

This particular case is one where kbslacker wished for new members to post and say hi, and almost immediately people used it as an excuse to post whore - I am not singling anybody out, please take note that this is not my intention here - and I am not referring to new members like you, Damien, but members who are not new. This is what I consider blatant exploitation of a lenient policy, and sometimes it goes too far. This is a fine example of post whoring that should be curbed. So my posts are a friendly reminder that there are loose guidelines to be adhered to - and I hope that's "crystal" to everyone.

Sorry for talking all of your ears off. But I felt something needed to be said here.
Couldn't agree more JD, I think we need a thred of rules that pernamently sits up the top, just to remind people to tidy up or go annoy the guys at PHOT.

AF has never really recovered from the January thing as I have seen comparing posts from now to those ages ago.
Ssom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 02:11 AM   #28
THE4TH
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to THE4TH
what's up slack ...
Old 04-20-2002, 09:47 AM   #29
D16 V-TEC
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to D16 V-TEC Send a message via AIM to D16 V-TEC
Quote:
Originally posted by dancing queen
Its also a 1980's song by ABBA
Pff... Shows how much you know, it's done by A-Teens! DUH!

Perky Nana Boy!

I am Jack's biting sarcasm.

1990 Honda CRX Si

I poach Pandas and pimp Sheep!
D16 V-TEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 03:45 PM   #30
S Brake
Ferrari Guy

Quote:

You don't have to apologize, it was too long so i didn't read it
Hi kbs

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic