Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:21 PM   #46
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max
Re: 2 questions for begginer

^ yup. check out your local dealerships too. i'm sure there are either used bikes there, or they know of people who are trying to sell their bikes. at the place i go to there's a bulletin board with all sorts of "for sale" ads. they sell some bikes on consignment too.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:07 PM   #47
sv650s
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to sv650s Send a message via MSN to sv650s

here's a 2003 sv650s in portsmouth in great condition. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...QQcmdZViewItem

damn i'm good!
Old 05-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #48
eclipser2001
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcoslacker
What do you plan on doing with it (daily transportation, weekend trips, burn up curves, etc)?

There are so many good bikes and different styles and sizes to fit different abilities and uses, it's hard to say without knowing a little of what you want out of it.

In general, my advice is to go with an older Jap standard like a Yamaha Maxim, Kawasaki LTD, 550cc-750cc to start learning on, they are cheap, reliable and very compliant and easy to learn on. After riding it for three months or so, sell it and get what you really want.

You should have some idea by then what you like and don't like about bikes.

A sportbike is not a good choice for a beginner. I know, nobody wants to hear it. The problem is your learning curve has to be very quick to gain experience before you run outta luck.

There is some real benefit in learning on something that is a bit underpowered and slow-reacting initially.

My brother's best friend from school killed himself at 19 years old with a 600F2 he'd only had for three days. His folks didn't even know he had it, he was leaving it at a friend's house.

He got going way too fast and missed a curve, ended up airborne into some trees at 60+ mph. Damn waste, in my opinion.

Anyway, an older Bandit, Nighthawk, etc is a blast to ride, quick handling but a reasonable riding position for longer trips, great mileage, reliable, and cheap and plentiful. These are fantastic starter bikes. Light and compliant enough not to intimidate a new rider, quick and nimble enough to put a smile on an experienced rider's face.

Think about what kind of riding you plan on doing, and what features are important to you, and I'll see what else I can think of.
sry to bring back an old post, but i had to respond to this.
last year my best friend got a gixxer. we were going to a car/bike show in Myrtle Beach SC. he was getting cocky on I-95 started speeding up to about 100 or so while i was driving behind him in my car. he lost control or hit some gravel or something. he landed about 100 yards from his bike. the bike got caught in the guard rail and stopped. he died on impact right in front of me.

i just felt compelled to share that to you guys.
Want to get:
2008 6R or 10R
Evo VIII or
STi
eclipser2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes