Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 01:15 PM   #16
R1-rider
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to R1-rider Send a message via AIM to R1-rider
I have ridden a X1 and a XB9R, I was unimpressed with every single aspect of the bike excluding the lowend torque (which is offset by virtual no topend). The cornering on the bike was horrid, the wheel would not go where you pointed it, it would float in and out of turn, and at high speeds the bike felt like the smallest gust of wind would send you flying.

About 3 track days ago, there was a AMA Superbike (forget his name) rider there who was on the XB9R, and actually did an incredible job, however granted he rides sportbikes for his job and no doubt knows the exact limits of the bike. However his track times were still a good deal slower then the leading track times that day.

Buell's are still a long shot away fom being considered a sportbike. In order to really be considered a sportbike, your bike must be able to function in AMA racing events, at any level. Not like HD where they sponsor their own races only for HD bikes.
R1-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:45 PM   #17
dallas sr20
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to dallas sr20 Send a message via Yahoo to dallas sr20
Wow last time I looked harley was runnin a bike in AMA superbike. But what do I know I've only been playin with these things for 30 years or so

P.S. the v-rod has the street version or harley's super bike motor in it.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:00 PM   #18
Scott 02
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Scott 02 Send a message via Yahoo to Scott 02
I knew that V-Rod had the superbike motor in it from Harley. Im just trying to see why alot don't like the Buels all that much. I keep my opinion on them though.
Scott 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 03:06 PM   #19
R1-rider
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to R1-rider Send a message via AIM to R1-rider
erg, totally forgot about the VR1000, i suppose it has to do with the fact in can't place within the top like 25 since 95? I suppose.

btw, the engine in the VROD was not made by HD, instead it was made by porshe, thus the reason it was water cooled. But seeing as how the VTX walks over the VROD anyway... And there is no superbike using the VROD engine, it may use a similar engine, but not the same one.
R1-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:04 PM   #20
bvia
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by R1-rider
The buell falls into the class called Streetfighters:
1. Harley no longer makes Buell, they are owned by them, however the design team totally left HD. So you can't classify it as a harley.
2. Buell does not compete at superbike competitions, harley has always had their own racing competitions only for harley bikes.
3. The bike is nowhere fast enough, or agile enough to be considered a track bike.
4. The only good thing about it is the vtwin sound, and (ugly) looks.
1. Harley DIDN'T made Buell. Erik owned the company and just recently sold it to HD. So I guess HD DOES make Buell...now

2. Harley raced in the AMA Superbike class, until recently...and shorttrack (which has or has had Suzuki and Yamaha)

3. Buell's have some of, if not THE most radical suspension setting in the entire motorcycle industry (more radical than the RACE ONLY TZ250's)

4. and BIG V-twin torque, "different" deisng and styling, easily repairable engines and trannys, etc...

You're selling the bike short and Buell calls them SPORTfighters, not streetfighters.

hth,
Bill

p.s. They are sportbikes, but NOT for beginners and as such a bad example for this thread.
bvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:08 PM   #21
bvia
AF Enthusiast

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by dallas sr20
Wow last time I looked harley was runnin a bike in AMA superbike. But what do I know I've only been playin with these things for 30 years or so

P.S. the v-rod has the street version or harley's super bike motor in it.
Look again. HD closed the doors on the Gemini (read AMA Superbike) project 2 years ago...and actually, the V-Rod has a Porsche/HD designed water cooled, V-Twin. It does NOT have the Gemini/HD designed engine.
hth,
Bill
Old 01-30-2003, 06:12 PM   #22
bvia
AF Enthusiast

Talking

Quote:
btw, the engine in the VROD was not made by HD, instead it was made by porshe, thus the reason it was water cooled. But seeing as how the VTX walks over the VROD anyway... And there is no superbike using the VROD engine, it may use a similar engine, but not the same one.
Actually, the V-Rod's engine was designed by a team consisting of Porsche Design and HD. Porsche the car company owns Porsche Design, but they are run as a seperate design house only. Porsche AG does not and did not manufacturer the V-rod's engine.

Also IIRC, the V-rod will out accelerate and top end the VTX (I think it currently has the highest power and torque rating of the "power cruisers"...but I may be wrong!)

hth,
Bill
Old 02-24-2003, 10:47 PM   #23
OneSicR6
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to OneSicR6
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott 02
Oh a street fighter huh, i call it one bad ass looking ride. Have you ever rode a new buel R1 Rider??? They are fast and handle better than alot of other bikes. -cy- if i were you get a buell, they are awsome looking and will get up to 140mph anyday. From what you were looking for, you don't need something to get killed on.
I've ridden a couple Buells, I argree, not only do they buzz the shit out of you, the motor is weak, and the handling in garbage. Now, how many sportbikes have YOU rode to make a comparison with?
Old 03-28-2003, 12:21 AM   #24
blazed on haze :\
AF Regular

honda cb500

great street bike and u can burn some rubber if u know how 2...

on the bad side it aint exacly the sorta bike that can do a constant 110mph+ for very long... so if ur looking to gun it on the highway, dont buy this bike.
blazed on haze :\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 01:11 PM   #25
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to -cy-
I've been looking into it more, and a lot of people have been recommending a CBR600 F3 if i am responsible enough to not push it, which i am.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:48 PM   #26
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva
Quote:
Originally posted by -cy-
I've been looking into it more, and a lot of people have been recommending a CBR600 F3 if i am responsible enough to not push it, which i am.
That is an excellent starter bike, and you won't get bored on it quickly. Just remember that you aren't invincible. Cars are bigger, dumber and harder than you or your bike. Keep your sensible head on, and you'll be fine.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 03:01 PM   #27
-cy-
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to -cy-
Ya, i respect cars as well, so i'm sure if i do get the bike (and hopefully things work out) that i'll be responsible and try to get some experience under my belt.

I was just talking to a friend last night, his first bike is a '92 yamaha (forget name) 750cc sport bike. He told me a story where you almost highsided it coming out of a turn, and just hearing of this stuff makes me wanna be careful.

I know there are a lot of risks with it, but i believe life isn't worth living if you are afraid to enjoy it.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:18 PM   #28
TexasF355F1
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TexasF355F1
I think the CBR600 is a good starter bike, but this bike is still extremely fast, and if you are scared to push IMO a Katana is a good starter.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:56 PM   #29
kaoru-tochiro
Banned

Quote:
Buell's are not sportbikes. thanks.
Buels are a far better bike than any of those Yamamoto hentai sushi things you're riding, and at a far better price, and sound better and look better and they have more torque and they can be made to hadle better! but you're just too narrow-minded to notice that he's looking for a good beginners bike, huh?

Go with the Buel! You'll never look back! I love mine!:smoker:
kaoru-tochiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2003, 03:05 PM   #30
Scott 02
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Scott 02 Send a message via Yahoo to Scott 02
Quote:
Buels are a far better bike than any of those Yamamoto hentai sushi things you're riding, and at a far better price, and sound better and look better and they have more torque and they can be made to hadle better! but you're just too narrow-minded to notice that he's looking for a good beginners bike, huh?
Well said. People don't give Buels much support b/c they are an American bike that kicks the shit out of foreign. Any problems? Buel is the bike I said at the start and Im still sticking with it.

Quote:
Go with the Buel! You'll never look back! I love mine!
I don't have one yet, but i sure will when the time comes. Great bikes!
Scott 02 is offline   Reply With Quote