Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 03:17 PM   #31
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
Re: Re: Avionixx, Cadence, jl which would you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
i like the product, hate the company. over marketed and over priced. actually the w0 and w1 and w3 and w6 are all poopoo. all of their amps are good and they have some pretty damn nice componets. but the only woofers that are good are the W3v2, the W6v2, and the w7. the 3 most expensive. and you dont get what you pay for. but it is a good product and if you can get sponsored or something. go for it. but i wouldnt pay $700 to have a w7 and have it under warranty when i can pay $435 for a brahma 15 or $440 for a XXX and have them be under warranty....

overmarketed? overpriced? Care to give examples of such?

I don't know about you, but w6s are not considered poopoo. They were built and sold for 10 straight years and i believe they are the highest selling subwoofer up today in terms of total volume. A 1994 subwoofer that are better than many of today's sub, I think that's an accomplishment.

You can buy a W7 for $500 under warranty if you find the right shop. $700 is about retail and hardly anyone who knows what they are doing would pay that much for the W7.

you don't get what you pay for, but i guess that's just a personal thing. At what amount of money do you have to spend to get X performance without the "you don't get what you pay for" idea?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #32
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpinstang77
um NO everythin elow a dub7 is not poop...........w6v2's are considered dome fo the best SQ subs ever..... w3v2's are along shiva lines and w0's are an awsome sub for a budget and not wanting to go online.
Did i not day the V2's are good? jesus.
W0's good on a low budget? $109 MSRP... for a 10... when you can pay $15 more and get a shiva which will be round abouts the w3v2's? id rather have an ID 10....

JL Over marketed...very...if you say otherwise you havent been to an audio show in the south in a long time. who has the biggest booths and most elaborate installs? Eclipse, Alpine, and JL. Why? because they can afford it because they are overpriced. Eclipse is good but there is something about their sond my ears dont agree with (talking about mids/highs. head units are great).

W7 over priced? yes. My local dealer will sell you a JL w713 for $500. if they install it with a $150 installation charge plus material cost... so far the cheapest authorized dealer i have seen selling W7's under warranty was $650. 700-800 is the norm. and like i said. why do that when i can get a louder woofer with the same SQ for hundreds less .

W6's good? not really. good 10 years ago, yes. we are talking about the here and now. $249 MSRP for a 10... Adire koda 10 is $229. the koda will well outperform a w6. though just a little bit quieter than the w6v2 which is $379 MSRP. thats more expensive than a brahma 10... sure not everything is MSRP. but your never going to get more than 25-30% tops off from a reputable authorized dealer.

the w1v2's are ok, but id like to see the prie on them. probably more expensive than a shiva or an RE and will be outperformed by a shiva and an RE.... Like i said. good product. but over marketed and over priced...
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #33
kdrm
AF Newbie

Re: Avionixx, Cadence, jl which would you choose?

How do you think the ascedent atlas fit into all this. Are the as good as the se or better. Or how do they compare with the w6?
kdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:53 PM   #34
Mannyb18b
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Mannyb18b Send a message via MSN to Mannyb18b

The atlas isnt even close to the price range of the driver's discussed above. Avalanche is more of a comparison, an I would take the Avalanche over the SE in no time, it used XBL^2. I think the Avalanche gives the w7 a run for its money at HALF the price
(2) 15" Q's 8 cubes after 80sqin. 28hz
CDT EF-61's
Profile AP1040 on comps
NSB-100
Mannyb18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:55 PM   #35
kdrm
AF Newbie

What would you compare the atlas with. I'm considering buying it do to my bugdet or lack of. At 145 it sounds like a great sub for the money, but I haven't heard one.
kdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 06:20 PM   #36
CBFryman
Banned

atlas and koda are along the same lines. the koda may slightly outperform the atlas. both use XBL^2.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:06 PM   #37
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bumpinstang77

I just got back from a shop and was playin with a dub7 and it will murder an avalanche trust me. dub7's have TONS of suspension travael. Ohh yea the shop worker guy had never heard of RE yea I showed him up with my two sexxx 12's off 150rms each......he had 2 l5's sealed with a kx1200.1......his jaw dropped when he heard my shit it was B-E-A-utiful.
2 Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18's
13 cuft NET ported box tuned to 27hz
Autotek Mean Machine MX3000.1
Ascendant Audio Arco component set
Orion 275SX (Mids)
PPI Art Series A200 (tweets)
Poly Mids for rear fill to come soon.
bumpinstang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:29 PM   #38
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to ngsm13

Quote:
I just got back from a shop and was playin with a dub7 and it will murder an avalanche trust me. dub7's have TONS of suspension travael. Ohh yea the shop worker guy had never heard of RE yea I showed him up with my two sexxx 12's off 150rms each......he had 2 l5's sealed with a kx1200.1......his jaw dropped when he heard my shit it was B-E-A-utiful.
DOOD, pyramid hyper pro's will kill all you have! Get off that shit

NG
ngsm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #39
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Get off pyramids nuts dude. super blues are better n e damn ways they go BOOM even more so then my beloved PUPS!
Orion 275SX (Mids)
Old 02-10-2005, 11:26 AM   #40
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to threedd97 Send a message via AIM to threedd97

Quote:
That's what I plan on doing at this local audio shop against my friend's beloved L7 12's on 500w each. Nobody there has heard of RE or Adire, so I'll take some pics as they beg to see my setup.
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Possibly a Cadence ZRS-10
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
threedd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:15 PM   #41
GSteg
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to GSteg
Re: Re: Re: Avionixx, Cadence, jl which would you choose?

Quote:
Did i not day the V2's are good? jesus.
W0's good on a low budget? $109 MSRP... for a 10... when you can pay $15 more and get a shiva which will be round abouts the w3v2's? id rather have an ID 10....

sure you can get a shiva for an extra $15, but what if you need a dual 4ohm subwoofer? Or perhaps a dual 2ohm? The shiva is limited to dual 8ohm unless they made a d4 that i wasn't informed of. "rather" is such a subjective word that it doesn't validate and statement. I would "rather" have 20 pyramid super blue sub for only $15 more than a 10" RE SX. doesn't mean it's better..so far..no factual statement have been made to say why one sub is better than the other.

Quote:
JL Over marketed...very...if you say otherwise you havent been to an audio show in the south in a long time. who has the biggest booths and most elaborate installs? Eclipse, Alpine, and JL. Why? because they can afford it because they are overpriced. Eclipse is good but there is something about their sond my ears dont agree with (talking about mids/highs. head units are great).
nope. They are not overmarketing...perhaps its the other way around and other companies do not market enough? There is no standard to say who's overmarketing or not. ALpine, JL, Eclipse, etc all have money, and its not overmarketing if they are just advertising their products. Now if say Audiomobile were to spend their money to boast there subs with false information of some sort, that would be overmarketing, to get something that most people desire; money. In jl's case, they are just advertising.

Quote:
W7 over priced? yes. My local dealer will sell you a JL w713 for $500. if they install it with a $150 installation charge plus material cost... so far the cheapest authorized dealer i have seen selling W7's under warranty was $650. 700-800 is the norm. and like i said. why do that when i can get a louder woofer with the same SQ for hundreds less .
Then don't get the subwoofer installed if they are going to charge that much. If your dealer is charging that much, then it's their fault, not JL Audio's fault. The dealer sets the price above msrp and installation cost is subject to change upon themselves. JL audio does not control how much they can install it for. As far as SQ go, the w7 has it beat, maybe not too much, but enough to say distortion is lower. At 10% THD, the w7 is able to get louder than the brahma, magnum, etc..Sound quality is objective, not subjective.

Quote:
W6's good? not really. good 10 years ago, yes. we are talking about the here and now. $249 MSRP for a 10... Adire koda 10 is $229. the koda will well outperform a w6. though just a little bit quieter than the w6v2 which is $379 MSRP. thats more expensive than a brahma 10... sure not everything is MSRP. but your never going to get more than 25-30% tops off from a reputable authorized dealer.
the w6 is up to part with the IDQ, shiva, infinity kappa perfect, alpine type R, etc.

$249 MSRP for a 10. cheap? not really. Good for a 10 year old sub 10 years ago, yes. we are talking about here and now. W6 were discontinued awhile ago, so an msrp price does not exist for it. To some people, the w6v2s are better than the brahma, to others, its the opposite. Neither sub is better than the other. Price goes with quality for the most part, but that doesn't mean everything below it is cheaper in quality. I can say the shiva is overpriced compared to the Elemental Designs kv.2 series. But on what ground is it better than the shiva? just because of the price or what? Doesn't make sense to me to say X sub sounds better than Y sub so therefore X sub is overall better. Doesn't work like that.

the w1v2's are ok, but id like to see the prie on them. probably more expensive than a shiva or an RE and will be outperformed by a shiva and an RE.... Like i said. good product. but over marketed and over priced...[/quote]

On what does the shiva and the RE outperform the w1v2? And i'm not talking price.....
Old 02-10-2005, 04:32 PM   #42
CBFryman
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Avionixx, Cadence, jl which would you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSteg
sure you can get a shiva for an extra $15, but what if you need a dual 4ohm subwoofer? Or perhaps a dual 2ohm? The shiva is limited to dual 8ohm unless they made a d4 that i wasn't informed of. "rather" is such a subjective word that it doesn't validate and statement. I would "rather" have 20 pyramid super blue sub for only $15 more than a 10" RE SX. doesn't mean it's better..so far..no factual statement have been made to say why one sub is better than the other.

nope. They are not overmarketing...perhaps its the other way around and other companies do not market enough? There is no standard to say who's overmarketing or not. ALpine, JL, Eclipse, etc all have money, and its not overmarketing if they are just advertising their products. Now if say Audiomobile were to spend their money to boast there subs with false information of some sort, that would be overmarketing, to get something that most people desire; money. In jl's case, they are just advertising.

Then don't get the subwoofer installed if they are going to charge that much. If your dealer is charging that much, then it's their fault, not JL Audio's fault. The dealer sets the price above msrp and installation cost is subject to change upon themselves. JL audio does not control how much they can install it for. As far as SQ go, the w7 has it beat, maybe not too much, but enough to say distortion is lower. At 10% THD, the w7 is able to get louder than the brahma, magnum, etc..Sound quality is objective, not subjective.

the w6 is up to part with the IDQ, shiva, infinity kappa perfect, alpine type R, etc.

$249 MSRP for a 10. cheap? not really. Good for a 10 year old sub 10 years ago, yes. we are talking about here and now. W6 were discontinued awhile ago, so an msrp price does not exist for it. To some people, the w6v2s are better than the brahma, to others, its the opposite. Neither sub is better than the other. Price goes with quality for the most part, but that doesn't mean everything below it is cheaper in quality. I can say the shiva is overpriced compared to the Elemental Designs kv.2 series. But on what ground is it better than the shiva? just because of the price or what? Doesn't make sense to me to say X sub sounds better than Y sub so therefore X sub is overall better. Doesn't work like that.

the w1v2's are ok, but id like to see the prie on them. probably more expensive than a shiva or an RE and will be outperformed by a shiva and an RE.... Like i said. good product. but over marketed and over priced...

On what does the shiva and the RE outperform the w1v2? And i'm not talking price.....[/quote]

1.) the MSRP on a w7 is $999
2.) $500 is 50% of $999 still cost more than a Brahma 15 and a XXX 15
3.) Both the brahma 15 and XXX 15 will get louder than the W7. why? surface area and xmax. yes the w7 has hella lotta xmax. but then agian so do the brahma and XXX. the extra few mm of xmax that the w7 have are not enough to compnesate for thegreater surface area of the brahma and XXX. and SQ is nearly equal (not just my ears saying this).
4.) The shiva is known to have great SQ and will hit SPL levels near that of a W3v2. how in gods name do you think that a w1v2 will touch the shiva SPL wise if the w3v2 is made to be better than the w1v2.
5.) say what you want, i dont care. im tired of argueing with someone who talks like an angry JL dealer. you dont even give the XXX props for what it is. at least i compliment JL for making a good product, but also an expensive product. you obviously look at numbers and JL's claims and not what you hear. IMO JL needs to make a larger W7, i would barely call a 13" woofer a sub woofer. if the w7's price went down into the 400's and JL made a 15. i would be behind JL 100%. but untill i see this happen, i will stick with RE, ID, Adire, etc...
Old 02-10-2005, 04:38 PM   #43
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Avionixx, Cadence, jl which would you choose?

Quote:
5.) say what you want, i dont care. im tired of argueing with someone who talks like an angry JL dealer. you dont even give the XXX props for what it is. at least i compliment JL for making a good product, but also an expensive product. you obviously look at numbers and JL's claims and not what you hear. IMO JL needs to make a larger W7, i would barely call a 13" woofer a sub woofer. if the w7's price went down into the 400's and JL made a 15. i would be behind JL 100%. but untill i see this happen, i will stick with RE, ID, Adire, etc...
I think gsteg has had his fair share of all types of equipment, in fact I know he has!

I hate JL honestly...but you can't knock the W7. It IS the woofer to beat, it's what people COMPARE their XXX's, Brahma's, Magnums to. It is a hell of a woofer...but i'll never pay the retail price for one! But, we'll see what happens when the new XXX comes out...

NG
Old 02-10-2005, 04:45 PM   #44
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

u mean the new RE sub naoh!!! not the new xxx oh well I'm sure someone isn't over here.....lol..... and no a brahma will not get louder then a w7 of the same size....do you know how much fucking suspension travel them fuckers have? OKAY
Orion 275SX (Mids)
Old 02-10-2005, 04:54 PM   #45
ngsm13
AF Enthusiast

HEHEHEHEHEH

NG

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio