Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 02:21 AM   #31
threedd97
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to threedd97 Send a message via AIM to threedd97
Re: Re: Subwoofer Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpinstang77
2 se 15's>b15 in SPl WAAAAAAy better SQ will still be good too
I don't know about SQ. I think the Brahma would have the SE's on SQ. The XXX and the Brahma are on par. The XBL^2 in the Brahma would give it the better SQ than the SE, don't you think?
'98 Grand Prix GT 4Dr
'06 XXX 12"
Possibly a Cadence ZRS-10
Pioneer DEH-5500MP
threedd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:28 AM   #32
Powerefx
AF Enthusiast

Re: Subwoofer Setup

What is the best battery for setup requiring lots of power. IE: Underglow, inside neons, subwoofers, amps, components, monitors and so on and so on. WHat about the optima yellow top 51 or 35 or 34 batteries? Any good?
Powerefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:22 PM   #33
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bumpinstang77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpinstang77
2 se 15's>b15 in SPl WAAAAAAy better SQ will still be good too
rephrase.... 2 se's>b15 in SPL WAAAAAAAy better (referring to SPL) The sq on the SE's will still be damn good to (not quite as good as the brahma)...... but plenty good enough for this dude......hell he was about to get audiobahns....... as far as ur electrical system goes...... try to get at 150 or greater amp alternator and an optima yellow top battery with all upgraded (big 3)wiring....... that means replace the following wires to 4 gauge..... alt + to batt+.... batt- to chassis ground....alt gound (usually the block itself).....to chassis ground
2 Ascendant Audio Avalanche 18's
13 cuft NET ported box tuned to 27hz
Autotek Mean Machine MX3000.1
Ascendant Audio Arco component set
Orion 275SX (Mids)
PPI Art Series A200 (tweets)
Poly Mids for rear fill to come soon.
bumpinstang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:06 PM   #34
Powerefx
AF Enthusiast

What gauge power wire should i use for amp, what gauge should i use for ground for amp, what gauge speaker wire should i use for subs? Also what type of fuse box(fuse) should i use?
Old 01-26-2005, 07:22 PM   #35
AndonD454
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to AndonD454

prolly 1/0 guage for power and ground.. and liek 12 guage for sub wires.

and probably an ANL fuse & holder.. and fuse like 120-150 amp.. but this is if you get the bx1800d..

with the bx1500d you can get by with 4 guage power/ground and like 120 amp fuse

Sold all my shit.

waiting for more money
AndonD454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #36
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Get a nine.1 if you can not the hifonics amps use 2 AWG power fuse should be 120 amps........ speaker wire should be 12 AWG or bigger..... 8 or 10 awg would be real good
Orion 275SX (Mids)
Old 01-26-2005, 08:01 PM   #37
Powerefx
AF Enthusiast

Is there a real bug difference between the ed nine.1 and the hifonics bx1800d? Will it make a nowtacable difference? If i get the ed nine, what guages and amps should be used with that?
Old 01-29-2005, 05:23 PM   #38
Powerefx
AF Enthusiast

would i need to get a crossover with the hifonics bx1800 d or not?
Old 01-29-2005, 09:04 PM   #39
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

Bumpinstang...you F'in RE lover. GD your BS. lol.
TEMPEST/SHIVA POWER!!!!!
also Image Dynamics ID.2 series.

Tempest > SE SQ
ID > SE SQ

SPL is relative to the enclsoure. but over all IMO the ID's have best SQ followed closely by the tempests and then the SE's. but it is still very close. as for spl the SE's would be slightly louder than the ID's but the tempest bangs. i mean with proper enclosre volumes (extremely large, optimal volumes for home theatre are in excess of 200l which is over 10cuft.) the Tempest is one of the top notch Home Theatre woofer for playing infrabass frequincies that wont brake the wallet (just the foundation). you could probably get away with 2 tempests, 900-1500w, and 5-7cuft each. and have an extremely bottom heavy system. or seal them around 3 cuft each and a good 400-600w each should do (you dont exactly beed to be playing 16Hz@90dB in your car).
Tempest- $150
Shiva- $125
IDQ v.2 15"- $289
SE 15's -Aprox. $200 (depends on where you live)

Adireaudio.com
REaudio.com
ImageDynamicsUSA.com
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 10:52 AM   #40
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
Bumpinstang...you F'in RE lover. GD your BS. lol.
TEMPEST/SHIVA POWER!!!!!
also Image Dynamics ID.2 series.

......(extremely large, optimal volumes for home theatre are in excess of 200l which is over 10cuft.) ..........you could probably get away with 2 tempests, 900-1500w, and 5-7cuft each. and have an extremely bottom heavy system. or seal them around 3 cuft each and a good 400-600w.........
Man, what kind of vehicle are you planning to use with these subs, a schoolbus? Some cars don't even have 10cu/ft worth of room in the trunk. This is the main reason I feel these subs suck. They are too hard to work with in most cars unless you have a SUV or something. Then, why would you want to lose all that space?

One area that automotive subwoofers have come a long way is with the amount of space they need to run properly with. 10 years ago it was nothing to have to build 5cu/ft boxes (or larger) just for 2 12" woofers in a sealed enclosure. Now, if you need much more than 1cu/ft each is kinda big. Heck, I had one 12" CompX woofer in a .35cu/ft box that slammed real hard. Granted, it was stuffed with polyfill but it was sure funny to see the looks on peoples faces when they saw the box(it was only 5" high)!
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 11:24 AM   #41
CBFryman
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CBFryman Send a message via Yahoo to CBFryman

Im curious to know what other aspects of the tempest suck? Since after all $150 for a woofer that is capeable of reproducing frequincies that subs "10 years ago" that cost well into the 1000's could barely do. The Tempest is an engineering masterpeace. None other like it. it was originally designed as a home audio woofer. why do you thinkg it has an FS of 18hz? you make any woofer with an Fs of 18Hz with with such low q and it will crave a large enclosure. the SQ from a tempest is amazing, responce flat, and it is very SPL capeable.
THe guy said he had the room. Im not reccomending 20cuft of enclosure in his car. tis' why i said sealed. where the tempest can perform in as low as 3cuft. Just because the norm of today is weak BL, low Q, and intern to make SPL in small encosures low sensitivity, craving for high power, and loose suspension. How many other 15's do you know of with low Fs that can bottom out their suspension in a 4cuft enclosure with 400w that cost less than $200? i can think of exactly 0.
Adire is one of the leading companies in audio innovation. RE would be lost with out XBL^2. the XXX is what made RE known and the XXX just wouldnt be an XXX with out XBL....
how many other companies can create a driver capable of moving over 2" from 9v DC?
The Tempest is an amazing driver and so are the Shiva, Brahma, Koda, Tulmult, Parthenon, etc....
CBFryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:00 AM   #42
ponchonutty
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFryman
Im curious to know what other aspects of the tempest suck? Since after all $150 for a woofer that is capeable of reproducing frequincies that subs "10 years ago" that cost well into the 1000's could barely do. The Tempest is an engineering masterpeace. None other like it. it was originally designed as a home audio woofer. why do you thinkg it has an FS of 18hz? you make any woofer with an Fs of 18Hz with with such low q and it will crave a large enclosure. the SQ from a tempest is amazing, responce flat, and it is very SPL capeable.
THe guy said he had the room. Im not reccomending 20cuft of enclosure in his car. tis' why i said sealed. where the tempest can perform in as low as 3cuft. Just because the norm of today is weak BL, low Q, and intern to make SPL in small encosures low sensitivity, craving for high power, and loose suspension. How many other 15's do you know of with low Fs that can bottom out their suspension in a 4cuft enclosure with 400w that cost less than $200? i can think of exactly 0.
Adire is one of the leading companies in audio innovation. RE would be lost with out XBL^2. the XXX is what made RE known and the XXX just wouldnt be an XXX with out XBL....
how many other companies can create a driver capable of moving over 2" from 9v DC?
The Tempest is an amazing driver and so are the Shiva, Brahma, Koda, Tulmult, Parthenon, etc....

I'm sorry. I needed to expand my thinking on this. I should have said that these suck for the typical car installation mainly because of the space they need. There just home stereo speakers. That's why all that space is needed. Besides, having a car stereo that has a sub thats got a FS of 18hz is unnecessary. In stereo competitions, you rarely see a sub with FS below 25htz.. At 18htz, you can't even hear any of it but is great to have in a home where you have large amounts of room.

Brahma, tempest, and the rest are really just old designs from home stereo speakers. Today, people want big sound out of the smallest enclosures. Yeah, kids don't mind loosing space that much but when you have people comming in with H2, Z06, Mercedes, Lexus, and such, they don't want to loose all of their cargo space for a sub's enclosure.

Yes, you are right that small enclosures usually need high power. There's just no way around it. Here's a link to DEI's Orion line that just made the benchmark on car audio designs. http://www.orioncaraudio.com/subwoof..._H2_series.asp
Orion C63 Coax rear
DirectedVideo 9" all in one DVD with surround

2007 SATURN OUTLOOK AWD XR with full entertainment package
ponchonutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 09:14 AM   #43
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Subwoofer Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchonutty
I'm sorry. I needed to expand my thinking on this. I should have said that these suck for the typical car installation mainly because of the space they need. There just home stereo speakers. That's why all that space is needed. Besides, having a car stereo that has a sub thats got a FS of 18hz is unnecessary. In stereo competitions, you rarely see a sub with FS below 25htz.. At 18htz, you can't even hear any of it but is great to have in a home where you have large amounts of room.

Brahma, tempest, and the rest are really just old designs from home stereo speakers. Today, people want big sound out of the smallest enclosures. Yeah, kids don't mind loosing space that much but when you have people comming in with H2, Z06, Mercedes, Lexus, and such, they don't want to loose all of their cargo space for a sub's enclosure.
yes the tempest and shiva are old designs from HT (NOT the brahma, it's completely different, the 12 is at home in less than 1cf and it's very inefficient, more efficient than many others, but anything that needs 800-1000rms to hit full excursion in a sealed box is inefficient), in fact that's part of the point. They're built so they do very well on low power and can still play very deep, ANY sub with those qualities is going to need a huge box due to Koffman's Iron Law. Like you said, most people nowadays want big sound out of tiny enclosures, which is actually what makes the shiva and tempest "old", but there are still those people who are willing to sacrifice trunk space for amp power without any loss of SQ or low end extension, which is exactly what the shiva and tempest (and koda actually) are suited for. Just because they're built with different goals in mind doesn't make them ill-suited to car audio, you just need more space and less power vs other more "common" designs.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 11:25 AM   #44
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Dude get off Adire's nuts. Adire aubs (with the exception of brahmas) are made for HT. SE's sq is not necessarily worse then a tempest its just different. I would NOT reccomend tempests to a car audio newbie who wants to throw a gazillion watts to a pair of subs....they're too easy to F up. Se's get a LOT louder and play a lot better near tuning then a tempest in CAR. An Fs of 18hz is not good in car too high. SE's are far superior drivers in car. Fryman...... have you heard SE's and tempests? If so what enclosure power and vehicle? ...... have you personally installed them? ..... I've done 3 single tempest setups and 2 dual tempest setups...... done a single SE15 setup and 2 dual SE 15 setups....... SE wins IMO.......... fyi I'm not trying to diss tempests..... they sound good and get pretty damn loud for 150 bucks, I'm just sayin there's much better choices in the price range to run in car.
Orion 275SX (Mids)
Old 01-31-2005, 05:19 PM   #45
Powerefx
AF Enthusiast

Did Re audio run out of businees or sumthing?
First of their site is not updated, and secondly they havent answered on of like 5 emails i sent them.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio