Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
veilsidercng
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to veilsidercng
16 year olds affording insurance

Hey I was just wondering how all these 16,17,and 18 year olds pay for a sportbike and insurance for it, or don't they get insurance. I don't think all these kids are rich because I seen them everywhere there can't be that many in my area. I was just wondering because I want to get one really bad but have no way to pay for the bike and insurance thanks
Moms 2000 Protege-upgrading from the civics 1.6L to 1.8L whooo!
Dads 2000 Blazer-hey it does burnouts AND tows the boat
veilsidercng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 06:49 PM   #2
SamBlob
AF Enthusiast

Re: 16 year olds affording insurance

They put their parents into debt by using their credit card without authorization. Or their parents indulge them. Or maybe they get jobs and save for it. This is all speculation; I don't really know. Why don't you ask some of them?
SamBlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 07:12 PM   #3
veilsidercng
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to veilsidercng

Well if I used my parents credit card I'd get murdered lol. I doubt they have jobs and if they do I don't think all of them have jobs that pay enough to get a bike most of them I see working mowing grass and stuff. And for asking them I was hoping some one that age would reply lol but maybe ill ask them in person even though most of them are asses.
Moms 2000 Protege-upgrading from the civics 1.6L to 1.8L whooo!
Dads 2000 Blazer-hey it does burnouts AND tows the boat
veilsidercng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:41 PM   #4
madmax40965
AF Newbie

We had a guy like you describe around
here , his parents loved him to death.
He was screaming for his mom when he
hit a car broadside . He was doing 95
in a 45 zone topped a hill and hit a car
pulling out. She never saw him and she had looked, he was just going to fast, he came over the hill and hit her . By the way, it cost him his life.
madmax40965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:35 PM   #5
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Max, that's a damn shame from both sides of the coin. People need to learn when speeding is super-dangerous vs. a little less super-dangerous.

As for affording insurance, my brother and I both save by having our father on the title, and thus the insurance policy. I am 22 and my brother is 18.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:19 PM   #6
madbusa2002
AF Newbie

It's always cheaper to have mom or dad title and insure the bike. At least until you hit the magic 25 mark.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:55 PM   #7
gsxygirl
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to gsxygirl

not being nosey, but im 17 and im going to eventually get me a bike here within the next few months or a year...either a r6 or a gixxr600, whats the average insurance payment? for a youngin and/or someone over 21? just deciding when that time comes if it should go under mine or my mamas name...
Old 12-15-2004, 04:52 PM   #8
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Lindsey... Until you turn 25, your insurance is going to be high. Age doesn't affect insurance much until then. Either it's high or it's high.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 12:12 AM   #9
DarkTint
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to DarkTint

Quote:
Originally Posted by veilsidercng
Hey I was just wondering how all these 16,17,and 18 year olds pay for a sportbike and insurance for it, or don't they get insurance. I don't think all these kids are rich because I seen them everywhere there can't be that many in my area. I was just wondering because I want to get one really bad but have no way to pay for the bike and insurance thanks

I got my first bike when I was about 18. A CBR600F2 ex-racer. It was a piece of junk but looked sweet with bright orange paint and solo seat. I had no money and no experience, but my grandma died and all of the grand kids got 3 grand each and I wanted one. One weekend my parents went out of town so I took my dad's truck and went and bought it. I lived in Alabama at the time and insurance wasn't required for anyone (at the time at least, not sure about now), so I said screw it. Of course a month later I was in the hospital after broadsiding a car at 75 in a 40 zone. Thirty days of physical therapy is great! (Not to mention the hospital bill for 30 grand!)

Back to the original question, I'm 26 now, so I don't really know about insurance rates for teens, but mine is $400+ per year which is pretty good. One thing to take into consideration though is that many insurance companies don't take monthly payments, they want it all up front each year. That keeps people from opening a new policy every spring and then dropping it when it starts getting cold so they don't have to pay during winter.

Whatever you decide, and I know you've heard it a hundred times in here, just be careful. I would HIGHLY suggest going to a riding school. I went to one as a refresher course before I got my present bike, and the lessons are invaluble.
DarkTint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:16 PM   #10
edubarf
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to edubarf
Re: Re: 16 year olds affording insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxygirl
not being nosey, but im 17 and im going to eventually get me a bike here within the next few months or a year...either a r6 or a gixxr600, whats the average insurance payment? for a youngin and/or someone over 21? just deciding when that time comes if it should go under mine or my mamas name...
WELL GIRL DONT GET A R6 GET THE GIXXER BABY. AS FOR INSURANCE SATURN SAID IT RIGHT. BUT HEY GSXYGIRL IF YOU EVER GET BORED RIDING ALONE YOU CAN BE MY WING GIRL ANYDAY. MARRY ME. LOL. J/K GIRL I JUST LOVE GIRLS ON BIKES, THEIR OWN BIKES.
edubarf is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes