Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio
Car Audio Do you live in your car? Then you need to be able to listen to some high-quality music.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 07:14 PM   #16
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Re: New Setup

If I was going for SPL I would go with something completely different than eD, Adire, RE, etc. I'm going for excellent sound quality with the ability to get loud if I want to, and with the fact that people can hit a 150 with a single brahma 15 (or atleast very very close), that's more than enough for me.

Besides, with a Qts of .39, the Av2 is obviously built to be ported, and I already said I want to stay sealed.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
sr20de4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:25 PM   #17
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

9835 is in and running

Great headunit, TONS of features. Install took about 20 min, now I just have to spend a few hours playing so I can figure out how to get to the different features.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Injen SES Downpipe, HKS Carbon-Ti catback, Cobb Stage 2 Tune, TiC Super Shifter, TiC Klunk Killer, Tein springs, Nitto NT555R Drag Radials
Old 06-21-2004, 09:27 PM   #18
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: New Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20de4evr
9835 is in and running

Great headunit, TONS of features. Install took about 20 min, now I just have to spend a few hours playing so I can figure out how to get to the different features.
good stuff sr20, did you feel it was a HUGE leap from the 760?... because i went from a lowely cda-9807 to a supposedly high end 860mp.. and i actually regret it.. my next head unit will be an alpine FOR SURE, anyways have fun with your settings.. im still messing around with my eq =D
aznxthuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:30 PM   #19
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Build quality is definitely leaps and bounds above the 750, as for sound quality, I haven't spent enough quality time with my system to tell. I hooked everything up, played for about 10 min, and then shut it off. Over the next week or so I'll be able to get more used to it. One thing I'll say though is it sounds excellent with no EQing at all (other than the filters), that's one thing I couldn't say about the 750.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 06-21-2004, 09:38 PM   #20
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

oo i meant 750, hey sr20 tell me when u start messing around with the time correction n stuff, i still gotta get a subwoofer amp, so i can power my rear speakers.. then i'll do all that auto eq / time correction n stuff.. and just a question.. if i convert a group of mp3s with a 192 bit rate into a cd, just to take advantage of the burr brown dac is there a point? or should i do it anyways? thx
Old 06-21-2004, 10:43 PM   #21
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

I played with the time correction just a couple mins ago. Nothing really extravagant, just moved it around, and I could hear the soundstage moving around me. Sort of like if you take some home speakers and wire one of them out of phase, then it just sounds different. All the sound is still there, just sounds....odd, well that's what it was like when moving the time correction around. I put it at one setting where I thought it sounded the best, but after I put in some different cds that could change drastically.

And there really wouldn't be anything to gain by making a cd out of 192 bit mp3s vs just making a data cd with the mp3s themselves. Once you drop to mp3, you can never go back up to cd quality.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 06-22-2004, 12:25 AM   #22
aznxthuggie
AF Enthusiast

yea your right, i guess i should find some cd's, i think its a waste that i have that and i dont use it lol and for the time correction.. there is auto.. or i can do it myself... i think im just guna strap on the mic and have it auto eq
Old 06-23-2004, 07:37 PM   #23
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Kodas have been ordered, www.acoustic-visions.com is having a huge sale on them right now through the end of June. $280 shipped vs the normal $350 shipped....not sure why, maybe it's a summer sale, maybe they're coming out with a new version, regardless these are probably the best speakers you could possibly find for under $300...anywhere....ever.

And yes they're authorized and everything, I've talked to Kyle (the owner) several times personally when I bought my Kit 81s (got them from the same place) and he's a great guy with great customer service.

They're not for everyone though, if you aren't willing to take the time to install them properly (being careful with the surround since it likes to tear, sealing/deadening your doors very very well, etc) then don't bother.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 06-23-2004, 07:40 PM   #24
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxthuggie
i think im just guna strap on the mic and have it auto eq

Auto eq would definitely be a nice thing to have. I can tune pretty well to my ear, but I'm slow (it took me 5 months to get it perfect with my last headunit, fiddling with it slightly every once in a while when I felt it needed improvement). I know that I can't tune to the judge's ear though, which is the main reason why I'll probably not ever enter a SQ competition. Me and the judges have very different tastes in how things should sound

The auto eq would be great for getting a baseline tune though, where everything is flat, you don't have any nasty resonances, etc. Then you can increase the midbass or subbass or treble how you want afterwards, that's one thing I wish I had.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 06-24-2004, 12:51 PM   #25
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bumpinstang77

Okay while were on the subject of new systems....I ordered my brahma 12 a few days ago. Already had a hifonics brutus bx1500d to power it but my friend really needed and an amp and offered me more then is cost me so i sold it....the amp is pushin 2 of his 18's HARD. Well the guys at adire said in my box (2.8 cubes per sub tuned to 28 hz) is a little big to be running 1500 watts to and the sub could bottom out at certain frequencies when being pushed really hard....so now I got the money for an amp but what amp sould I get? Another brutus bx1500d...bx1000d....I was also looking at the nine.1 1200 watts would be nice, but when are theese things gunna be out? Also what are the prices on Cadence amps that will put out a nice wattage for a brahma at 1 or 4 ohm? While were on the subject of amps one more question....If an amp is mounted on a box and it vibrates a lot is it more likely to fry and is it bad for the amp? I don't have much room to put one in my small ass trunk but if its gunna be bad to mount my amp on my box Ill find another place.
bumpinstang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 07:58 PM   #26
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

I'll try to take those one at a time

1 - Yes that is a lot of power, and the sub could bottom out, you're getting into the realm of "headroom". The amp I'm getting has more than enough power to bottom out the sub, especially if it's in a large sealed box. There are a couple reasons why I'm getting it. It will let me run the gain lower (so even though it's a 1500 watt amp I'll only be sending maybe 900 to the sub), which lets the amp run cooler and cleaner, you never have to worry about hitting the limits of the amp and having it clip, and you have room to upgrade later if you want. It's up to you, if you're willing to spend the extra money for the 1500 to have the extra headroom and you have enough self discipline to turn it down if you hear funky sounds then go for it, if you aren't comfortable with this extra power, then go for the 1000.

2 - The nine's are supposed to be out in August I believe

3 - Cadence amps are very expensive...the ZRS-8 (1500x1 @ 1ohm) has an MSRP of $900, and is $700 at my local shop. I'm hoping to talk him down to $600...

4 - There shouldn't be any more vibrations on the box than there will be on the chassis of the car, won't really make a difference either way. If you're worried about it then get some rubber washers to help cushion the amp. Only down side is it makes your stuff much easier to steal if someone happens to break into your car *shrug*

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 06-24-2004, 10:32 PM   #27
bumpinstang77
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to bumpinstang77

I had to basically take my car apart to get it all in because it wouldn't slide in the trunk I have a mustang ...small trunk... stealing isn't an issue plus im getting a great security system. I think I may go with the 1500 and turn it down a little bit. comming soon a second brahma and another bx1500d :-D
bumpinstang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 12:41 PM   #28
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Re: Re: New Setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr20de4evr
I know that I can't tune to the judge's ear though, which is the main reason why I'll probably not ever enter a SQ competition. Me and the judges have very different tastes in how things should sound
how do your tastes vary from the judges' tastes ?
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 02:39 PM   #29
sr20de4evr
AF Enthusiast

I like an overexaggerated low end, basically from ~120hz and down (not overwhelming, but definitely not flat), and very soft highs. I'm not sure, maybe I could cut back on a lot of the low end and do some ghetto rta-ing (lots of test tones, a RS spl meter, and excel) to try to get it somewhat flat. I've just heard cars that were set up for true SQ and I don't like the way they sound on most music. On orchestras and symphonies they sound good, but that's not what I listen to 364 days out of the year.

'05 Silver WRX STi
Old 06-28-2004, 05:58 PM   #30
PaulD
Audio Guy

Send a message via AIM to PaulD Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
hmmm ....... I usually have a good sized bass boost (15 dB or so) in the bass reqion below 75 Hz - the rest is flat. Most music doesn't sound good in a car when it's EQ'd flat in the bass region, especially when the car is moving. Where I live, most people are into the SPL - so my bass hump sounds relatively tame in comparison. With just 2 8's in the doors, I hit 125 something - the sound judged freaked when he found out I had no subs in the back and a stoch alternator.
PaulD is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Audio