Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #31
NinjaZX6R
AF Newbie

Re: Want to know what bike to start on **read this first**

Quote:
Start on a 250. It is MUCH more forgiving, and it will be more comfortable since there won't be much need for lowering anything. You ALWAYS feel more comfortable when you are more in control of things, like keeping the bike upright.
I was thinking of starting out with a kawasaki ninja 650r. Is that good to start with.
NinjaZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:57 PM   #32
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaZX6R
I was thinking of starting out with a kawasaki ninja 650r. Is that good to start with.
The Ninja 650R is manageable as a starter bike, but I'd still recommend starting on a Ninja 250 or Ninja 500 (or any other 250/500) before that.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:08 AM   #33
AWP9521
AF Enthusiast

I have to agree with all the advice given about starting small when learning to ride the first time. My starter bike was a 73 Honda CB400F Super Sport (inline 4) it was relatively small for my big size but still fairly light and actually quite nimble in the handling department. Had decent power but was not considered a "fast" bike especially by todays standards.

I did a lot of rural ares at first during the get aquainted stage then slowly worked my way into playing in heavier traffic in the city and on the interstates, definitely had a few close calls that got the heart fluttering but was able to stay cool enough to get out of the situation unscathed.

I rode with a friend alot and make it a point to ride it as much as possible in all weather conditions (except snow of course), I had the wife worried quite a few times when running out the door and jumping on it when an impending storm was coming. But I wanted to learn that, I wanted to learn what would happen when you hit standing water or had to slow down or stop in a hurry without trying to slide the tires, riding doesn't necessarily mean good weather all the time, I felt I had to be prepared for situations like that and you don't learn until you do it.

Then of course there is the differing road conditions too, dirt, mud, tar and chip, milled asphalt, etc. You got to experience all that during the learning curve, feel what the bike does when running on those types of roads, the seat of your pants feel when the front and back end don't seem to be taking the same path can be scary at any speed, it's learning how to handle all of that and still live to tell about it is the name of the game, "easy does it" can be so true when learning to ride.

I rode that little 400 for 4 years worth of learning then moved on to a 83 Honda VF750S (V45 Sabre) and i'll tell ya, that is a world of difference between the two bikes. I was used to kicking down 3 gears and winding the engine out to pass a vehicle on a 2 lane with the 400 and do it as quickly and safely as possible, first time I did that on the 750 I was doing triple digits on the speedo before I got back into my lane! The 400 was hard pressed to reach 80.

I havn't riden in over 10 years now, still have the Sabre and am thinking about breaking it back out again because of the price of gas, but I know I have to be careful and get reaquainted with it all over again, but I'm sure the learning curve will not be as long as it was back when I was a newbie on motorized 2 wheels but i'll be taking it very easy none the less.

I hope my little story helps other newbies learning to ride and their choice in what to ride (hopefully something small) but i'll add another little story before clicking "Post Reply" button.

One day a friend that was totally green on a motorcycle, showed up at my door, he had a helmet in his hand and riding suit on, and says "wanna check out my new toy?" I walk out the front door and there sat a 2002 Honda CBR 954 RR in my driveway, all I could ask him at first glance was "are you f---ing nuts?" I fired the thing up while looking at it and immediately notice the "hair trigger" type throttle response it had when turning the throttle ever so slightly and just shook my head and shut it back down, and proceeded to give him the man this is waaaaay too much bike for you speech, hell it's way too much bike for me!

He did lay it down a few times, I witnessed the first time that very same day before he left, he had the bike facing towards the house in the driveway and I suggested that he do a backing and forward jockying around so he could ride straight out the driveway to the street, instead he decided to fire it up and ride into my yard and do a loop to turn around, he made the cardinal newbie rider mistake and turned the bars to the left keeping his hand rigid on the throttle while turning, needless to say the bike instantly revved up and he did a total 360 degree circle with it before laying it down on the ground. The bike thankfully was unscathed because of the soft grass and he didn't end up under it after the fiasco, so all that was tarnished was his pride. I helped him pick it back up again and we pushed it back to the driveway, he got back on and off he went, but I couldn't help feeling frightened for him after he went down the street.

I did eventually take it for a spin a few months later but there was no way I was gonna get even close to crazy with it and see what it would do, even being a seasoned rider the damn thing scared me! He finally sold it after having it for a little over a year, I was glad he did.
AWP9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:28 AM   #34
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

i thought i might just add that these stickie threads are full of great info and advice but those new to the site, please be aware that the regulars don't check in here often because posts are few and far between. don't take offence. we're just lazy.

to AWP9521. mate, your lucky your friend with the 954 is alive. it is my third bike and can scare me every ride if i'm not careful. whats scarier is the new bikes are more potent. the '07 gixer750 has the same power to weight as my 954.

i had a friend who went from a Ninja 250 to a 954. he couldn't put his feet down when stopped. he bought it purely on price. i haven't seen him in years but last time i saw him was at a track day. he was doing 80k's down the straight while everyone else was doing 250+. seriously dangerous.

people need to really think their choice on bike and CURRENT skill level, not future skill level. you may not reach that future or level if you ride outside your capabilities
Old 08-12-2007, 01:15 AM   #35
RaysGixlov
AF Newbie

Exclamation Re: Want to know what bike to start on **read this first**

So I've heard A million times and know for a fact Begginers Should Not jump over so many cc's i'm guessing it Always depends on their maturity and Capability to control their urges till they gain enough experience and hours to play a little more.. I'm 18 and i'm buying a Gsx-r 750 As a First bike Regardless of what anyone says.. I have many years of experience on two wheels just not motorcycles.. Ie Dirtbikes, bicycles.. I am buy Alot of protective gear and I plan on takeing classes.. and takeing it easy the first 6-12 months if not more... I want to know one thing.. How long did it take you someone with atleast 2+ yrs exp To get used to Playing just a little with your bike Ie Twisties or racing w/e Getting comfortable with Your bike?opcorn:
RaysGixlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #36
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaysGixlov
So I've heard A million times and know for a fact Begginers Should Not jump over so many cc's i'm guessing it Always depends on their maturity and Capability to control their urges till they gain enough experience and hours to play a little more.. I'm 18 and i'm buying a Gsx-r 750 As a First bike Regardless of what anyone says.. I have many years of experience on two wheels just not motorcycles.. Ie Dirtbikes, bicycles.. I am buy Alot of protective gear and I plan on takeing classes.. and takeing it easy the first 6-12 months if not more... I want to know one thing.. How long did it take you someone with atleast 2+ yrs exp To get used to Playing just a little with your bike Ie Twisties or racing w/e Getting comfortable with Your bike?opcorn:

I'm not trying to piss you off, but I don't care how many dirtbikes you've ridden... trees don't pull out in front of you or try to merge into you. You're biting off a HELL of a lot of bike, and I STRONGLY recommend you think otherwise. Not to mention that I really highly suggest finding and taking the MSF course. It's amazing the things you didn't realize you didn't know.

Besides, thinking you're going to take it easy and actually doing it are 2 very different things. Especially at your age, people think they are invincible, but at my age, I'm telling you that you simply are not. Please reconsider your choice of bike. That's not even considering the amount of insurance you're going to pay on a bike like that!!!!

If you choose a smaller, more manageable bike, you will feel more comfortable with your bike and you'll be a better rider overall. Especially if you are interested in twisties b/c the smaller bikes are lighter and more "flickable" in the turns.

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 12:56 AM   #37
RaysGixlov
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturntangerine
I'm not trying to piss you off, but I don't care how many dirtbikes you've ridden... trees don't pull out in front of you or try to merge into you. You're biting off a HELL of a lot of bike, and I STRONGLY recommend you think otherwise. Not to mention that I really highly suggest finding and taking the MSF course. It's amazing the things you didn't realize you didn't know.

Besides, thinking you're going to take it easy and actually doing it are 2 very different things. Especially at your age, people think they are invincible, but at my age, I'm telling you that you simply are not. Please reconsider your choice of bike. That's not even considering the amount of insurance you're going to pay on a bike like that!!!!

If you choose a smaller, more manageable bike, you will feel more comfortable with your bike and you'll be a better rider overall. Especially if you are interested in twisties b/c the smaller bikes are lighter and more "flickable" in the turns.

Well I want something big and not something small something over 350cc and definitley under 1000.. I can get a 750 gsxr cheap from a friend thats in near perfect condition I could sell for whatever bike I want I guess and pocket the change... I just dont know what I need.. I know I will bust ass once or twice getting cocky around a turn or somewhere but it wont be crashing over 70+ i mean I want a 600 cc more than anything cause I know 750 is to much for me.. my dad said any gixer Is just to much for me.. I could handle and baby a 6 or 7 but it would be like a little boy driving daddys car,stupid.
i'm looking between 300 and 600 so hint out some names like honda rr or anything
Old 08-14-2007, 12:58 AM   #38
KansasCityCutty
AF Newbie

Re: "My first bike" and related tales

what about cars like 1983 oldsmobile cutlass supreme
KansasCityCutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 01:55 AM   #39
RaysGixlov
AF Newbie

Re: "My first bike" and related tales

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasCityCutty
what about cars like 1983 oldsmobile cutlass supreme
I dont have car budget.. If I did I would be looking at 300zx or a supra and tweaking it a little to be fun but economical..
I'm not a stupid newb when it comes to bikes.. I've dreamed and rode a few bikes never had money and I've researched for weeks now.. on tech and skill what people are saying and a friend will let me test drive a few so I can find what I need i will test a 600 750 and a 500
Old 08-14-2007, 05:47 AM   #40
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

What year is the GSXR? If it's a relatively new one, you're going to hurt yourself. The newer GSXR-750's have as much power as liter class bikes of only a few years ago, only they're lighter and more twitchy. The bike you are choosing is a hard edged sportbike, and not at all forgiving. At 18, I would give you a 75% chance of landing yourself in the hospital if you buy that bike for your first one. You're probably going to look at my pics/profile and see that I ride a Harley and think I don't know what I'm talking about. I've been riding (between dirt bikes and road bikes) for twice as long as you've been alive. I've ridden everything from powercruisers (Honda Magna, Kawi KZ-900), to a sportbikes (Kawi ZX-11, Honda VFR, etc...)to my current Harley and I know what I speak of. Please, Please heed our warnings and rethink your choice of first bike. In addition to the expense of insurance, the plastic on sportbikes is really $$$$ when you eventually drop it.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:44 AM   #41
RaysGixlov
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richtazz
What year is the GSXR? If it's a relatively new one, you're going to hurt yourself. The newer GSXR-750's have as much power as liter class bikes of only a few years ago, only they're lighter and more twitchy. The bike you are choosing is a hard edged sportbike, and not at all forgiving. At 18, I would give you a 75% chance of landing yourself in the hospital if you buy that bike for your first one. You're probably going to look at my pics/profile and see that I ride a Harley and think I don't know what I'm talking about. I've been riding (between dirt bikes and road bikes) for twice as long as you've been alive. I've ridden everything from powercruisers (Honda Magna, Kawi KZ-900), to a sportbikes (Kawi ZX-11, Honda VFR, etc...)to my current Harley and I know what I speak of. Please, Please heed our warnings and rethink your choice of first bike. In addition to the expense of insurance, the plastic on sportbikes is really $$$$ when you eventually drop it.

I was asking what I should get.. I know the newer gsxr's are more powerful.. 500/650 ninja?.. just give me some Ideas on the hondas and kawasaki's or older gixr's 6
Old 08-14-2007, 08:54 AM   #42
richtazz
stupidity should hurt

Quote:
I'm 18 and i'm buying a Gsx-r 750 As a First bike Regardless of what anyone says..
This is a quote from your original post in this thread.

Quote:
I was asking what I should get.. I know the newer gsxr's are more powerful.. 500/650 ninja?.. just give me some Ideas on the hondas and kawasaki's or older gixr's 6
Here's a quote from you last post in this thread.

We were all responding to the original post, so if you're asking now what you should consider buying, we can help. If you have a brain, and some motorcycle experience, you could probably get away with a late 90's to 04-05 600, but you better respect it. I would still suggest a smaller 500cc or so bike since you're so young, and an inexperienced driver as well as a novice motorcyclist. One of the great things with starter bikes is that there is a market for them. You will almost always get your money back when you outgrow it and decide to sell, unless of course you wreck it.

Still waiting for the "good old days" I'll get to bore my future grandchildren with!
richtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:00 AM   #43
psych0hans
AF Regular

If you want something thats not big, but still very potent, you could go in for an apprilla 250rs, It may only be 250cc but the sucker kicks out a good 70hp
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." George W. Bush—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
psych0hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:21 AM   #44
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

i rode a 1996 gsxr 750t. if thats going to be your first bike, then good luck to you and my sympathies to your family.

i have apprentices aged from 17-21 who all want to ride bikes. one has a ZX2R and they all ride that. then they realise how potent and unforgiving a bike can be. street riding is nothing like dirt riding. on a 250 ninja, a full throttle blip will be fun when you start. then you get used to it and move up. if your first bike is a GSXR750 post 96 and you fully open the throttle quickly, you'd better be hanging on and sitting over the front wheel.

i went from a 250 to the 750 and took it to the track. everyday it surprised me and thrilled me. also made me shit my pants.

now the 06-07 750's have more power than my 954 and weigh the same.

oh and don't think talking yourself up gains our respect. we respect level headed genuine people more than those who reckon they're top shelf. you think your special, we've seen it all before. hang around and get some good advice and learn some things. please don't jump in telling us what you plan to do regardless of what we think. that'll get you no respect.

go a mid 90's cbr600 and be happy to learn to ride before you die.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #45
vain771
AF Newbie

zzr 600 2005-08 fast .....more upright position ..cheaper insurance because its technically a sport touriing rather labeled...technically its a00-02 fast mofo..zx6..cheaper bike.....cheaper insurance means u can getr better medical....youll need it.......
vain771 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes