Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #46
RZ250
AF Newbie

Re: Finding a fast 250cc bike in US

80 horsepower is 80 hp and the latest RS250 Honda is actually 92 anyway. It doesn't matter what the curve looks like. 80 is 80. A wide powerband means that you can ride lazy, you don't have to stir the gearbox so much to stay in the sweet spot, but it doesn't mean you have more power just a more even spread. It is more difficult to ride a 2 stroke fast because you have to stay on the sweet spot. On a four stroke you can be lazy, which doesn't lend itself to fast riding as well.
RZ250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:40 PM   #47
RZ250
AF Newbie

Anyway, this started with a kid looking for a fast 250cc. They can be had and they can be road legal. He isn't allowed to ride a 600 of any description.

I have found that only the very best riders on a four stroke 600 can beat a good rider on a 250 two stroke race replica street bike. And you can't do it around somewhere like deal's gap, the extra weight will not let you. You are straight from curve to curve to curve a total of 111 times. There are no straights to speak of. The 600 wins out on a race track with long straights because it can use it's forty or so extra horsepower. No one is denying a 600 is more powerful, but you have to have the space to use it, they are too heavy (relatively speaking) to beat a good 250 2 stroke around deals gap.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:55 PM   #48
DealsGap
AF Regular

Re: Re: Finding a fast 250cc bike in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZ250
It doesn't matter what the curve looks like. 80 is 80.
Is that a joke?

Quote:
92HP and 220lbs wins hands down.
If horsepower and weight were the only two factors, yes. However this is not the case. Spec sheets mean very, very little in terms of real world performance.

In reality, a 600 will eat up and spit out a 250 coming out of every corner, on every straight, and give up very little if any with a comparable rider in terms of corner speed.

Quote:
It has a top speed of 145mph not 130.
Can you find me a link from a reputable source to back that up? Every magazine test or stat sheet I can find on the bike has it right at 130, which makes logical sense, and meshes with my on-track experiences with the bike.

Quote:
I have found that only the very best riders on a four stroke 600 can beat a good rider on a 250 two stroke race replica street bike. And you can't do it around somewhere like deal's gap, the extra weight will not let you.
Then why is the fastest time through Deals Gap a rider on a 600RR Honda?
DealsGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:35 PM   #49
RZ250
AF Newbie

fastest time trough Deals Gap may be Honda 600 because 250 2 strokes are not widely available while 600cc 4 strokes are everywhere.

80hp is 80hp, not a joke. Stay in the powerband and it's all good.

The 250 will be able to leave braking much later than the 600, therefore getting to the corner much more quickly. As long as there is not a longish straight beforehand for the 600 to pass the 250 on. If there is of course the 600 would win, deals gap has no straights worth speaking of.

How do we know the CBR600RR that you are quoting is really the quickest. I've never had a 600 beat me down the dragon's tail.

If spec sheets meant very little, then we would all just ride Busa's at Deal's Gap and beat everyone, after all they are 200mph bikes.

Also RS250 Aprilia, the bike which you are talking about is only 62hp, add another 30 to that for the Honda RS250.

Performance Bikes Magazine did a 250cc 2 stroke race replica shootout. Suzuki RGV250, Apilia RS250, Honda NSR250 and Yamaha TZR250. The Aprilia (although it is the same engine as the Suzuki) won.
It seems they were able to get more usable power out of the lump.

They also did a comparison between RS250 Aprilia and Honda CBR600f4, the F4 won by a narrow margin. On the twisties the the RS won. The F4 won in most other comparison catergories.

Once again though, we were talking about a 15 year old in OK that is only allowed a 250cc max.
Old 01-01-2006, 10:38 PM   #50
DealsGap
AF Regular

Re: Re: Finding a fast 250cc bike in US

I'm not going to argue with you about it, but I'd strongly suggest getting out to the track and seeing what actually happens rather than trying to take rudimentary stats and guess which bike does what better.

And just FYI, an F4 is an absolute dinosaur in terms of performance compared to new 600's.
DealsGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:03 PM   #51
RZ250
AF Newbie

Cool Re: Finding a fast 250cc bike in US

I know the F4 is a dino compared to a CBR600RR.

You asked where my stats are from, I told you. MPH for Aprilia and just threw in the comparo RS CBR for extra info. The CBR and the RS were the same build year though. So should be equal in technology used.

I am not arguing with you. You asked me questions, I enlightened you. LOL

I guess I had better buy a Busa I can do everyone with one of those mugs. It won't matter twisties, straights, no matter, the power to weight ratio has nothing to do with anything. Neither does overall weight. LOL

I am not just taking stats and guessing I am doing. Don't take yourself so seriously.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #52
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

the guy never said that stats sheets didn't mean anything, he said they mean very little. there's also grip, suspension setups, flickability, gearing, etc. you can have a 120hp 200lbs bike that will get beaten in a straight by a 100hp 300lbs bike with lower gearing, there's just too many unknowns in the stats sheet.
beef_bourito is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes