Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Land Cruiser/LX470
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 10:59 PM   #1
Dynastar197
AF Newbie

Fj40-help!!

I have a 1977 FJ40 Land Cruiser with a couple of Serious problems!!!!

1. The tip of the crankshaft is worn down by the harmonic balancer key pretty badly, so as you can imagine my timing is a little off (joke).
2. Also i have learned that my frame itself has been cut in half (about a foot behind the front right shackle)wleded back together and supported with a beefy kind of beam that has been welded over it.
About the engine, Obviously Im going to either replace the crankshaft/engine or find an astonishing way to repair the broken one. Here lies the question... Is there anyway possible to repair such damages on my crankshaft without pulling it from the engine?, such as welding the key back in place? (The fact that im asking about welding somthing to a crankshaft is insane but keep in mind this is my first car and im in college with no bucks and time.)
Secondly, Ive taken the beast (carefully) through some tough terrain and never had any problem with the rigidity of my frame, but I dont want to be cruisin down the highway at a top speed of 70, hit a pothole and die because my frame is too weak. What steps do I need to take to ensure that my frame is stable and safe enough to support the massive wieght of this vehicle.
This post is terribly long and lacking information...sorry
Any help what so ever would be most appreciated
Dynastar197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 03:04 PM   #2
justacruiser
Banned

How is the crank key worn? Is it beginning to shear off? Is it just worn to the point where the harmonic balancer wiggles? If it's beginning to shear off, you can just pop it out and replace it, though I don't know where you can find another one. Try specter off road. If it's getting worn and wiggling... take it to a shop that specializes in cranks and they should be able to fill it and shave it down to the right thickness again, then get a new harmonic balancer. The harmonic balancer was probably bad and thats what caused it problems in the first place. As for the frame, get under the vehicle and check to see how the welds are, if they look crappy then it's a crappy fix, if it has a plate welded over top of where the weld was, I wouldn't worry too much about it it'll be fine. These things have nearly fully boxed frames and they are VERY rigid. Don't worry too much about the frame, just check it for cracks regularly.
justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:47 AM   #3
aquadood
AF Newbie

Re: Fj40-help!!

$pecter makes a part that will fix your crankshaft problem. I'll post it here when I find it. About the frame, was it completely cut? It sounds like the frame was "boxed". If it was done right, you shouldn't have any trouble.
aquadood is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Land Cruiser/LX470