Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #1
-]5pace.pirat3]+
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to -]5pace.pirat3]+ Send a message via AIM to -]5pace.pirat3]+ Send a message via MSN to -]5pace.pirat3]+ Send a message via Yahoo to -]5pace.pirat3]+
Red face how many accidents

any no0bs out there i've about 700+ miles(not very many huh) on my bike since i got it in the last semister of h.s. early this year
1st i fell while taking off too quickly and then slipped trying to stop in the rain(too quickly?)
i only had one accident - pulling out fast from a parking lot and got hit from the side from a car that tried to stop - these all happend about a month of driving. anyone have any tips for driving in the rain/freeway?

the pos
-]5pace.pirat3]+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 08:02 PM   #2
flex339
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to flex339
Re: how many accidents

drive slower in the rain if it's heavy and keep a bigger gap between yourself and cars since your stopping distance is in increased. Practice braking in the rain in a parking lot. This will help you learn how firm you can brake before a wheel locks up. Just be careful.
flex339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 03:56 AM   #3
MadMac56
AF Enthusiast

Best way to ride in the rain is...DON'T
MadMac56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 09:25 AM   #4
speediva
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to speediva Send a message via Yahoo to speediva

If there is a lot of rain, try to ride in the tire marks of the cars in front of you. It helps a LOT with your traction overall. Be MUCH gentler on the throttle. Your tire is much more likely to lose traction in the rain. Also, avoid paint lines/stripes like the PLAGUE. They're "slicker 'n' shit" when wet. Oh, and and also avoid leaves, grass clippings and pine needles. They're bad, mkay?

2005 Subaru Forester 2.5X
1997 Honda Civic EX Coupe

Inform yourself:
AF User Guidelines
speediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:28 AM   #5
edubarf
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to edubarf
Re: Re: how many accidents

really you want to know what to do is not listen to us we can tell you what to expect but ur on the bike so its ur reactions that will determine ur fate. the best thing is when it rains go to a big ass parking lot and ride around. Accelerate and stop, lean one way then another, really practice in the rain its the only way to be prepared. Good question though cause riding in the rain is a different world be safe man cause those cars and shit around you to are in the same conditions just safer than you are and in inclimate weather people forget how to drive. So practice it up and shit. When i had mine id go practice everytime it rained i even practiced my drag start in the rain but hold on to that until u get some time under ur belt please wait dont go hurt ur self and fawk up ur ride.
edubarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 11:50 AM   #6
-]5pace.pirat3]+
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to -]5pace.pirat3]+ Send a message via AIM to -]5pace.pirat3]+ Send a message via MSN to -]5pace.pirat3]+ Send a message via Yahoo to -]5pace.pirat3]+

good ideas everyone! ive never ever practiced on my bike for anything maybe its time. does anyone know how to automatically subscribe

the pos
Old 12-02-2004, 12:27 PM   #7
NaKeDZX
AF Enthusiast

Taking a local MSF course won't necessarily address the wet riding question, but it would give you better skills for all situations; and would likely improve your control in the wet. Otherwise....practice, practice, practice
NaKeDZX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 04:53 PM   #8
Z_Fanatic
AF Enthusiast

Agree with one of the posts above, cage drivers are 200% worse during rain, windy, stormy - terrible weather conditions. They drive faster and changer their lanes unpredictably rampant.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:33 PM   #9
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

i had a few minor drops while stopped. moving it while washing on grass, parking on a hill but first accident was after 11000k's (6800miles)and 18 months. turning right in traffic after going to a carwash bay. got the shits at having wait for too long (maybe 1 min!!! i have a short temper) so i booted it and the ass came out and i went down. too much gas on a wet corner. never done that again!! i'm yet to have another accident that is my fault...... oops i forgot my stoppie that went wrong a few months ago. CIS (new term: Chuckle Inwardly Softly. i hate lol!)

i love riding in the rain!!!!!

its been said that people actually ride faster in the wet (when in the mood for a hoon) beause they actually concentrate on what they are doing 100%.
how many of us really concentrate on the job 100% when riding when its sunny?

when i ride in the wet, i'm practising how my bike reacts in limit conditions so as when in the dry and at much higher speeds, i can read the feedback.

also love doing straight line burnouts thru to 3rd gear without the tyre wear and the buzz of power slides out of corners.

damn i wish our drought was over

more serious note

we have discussed the normal riding gear but haven't discussed the rain gear.
i prefer full rain suit over the two piece (except the leakage after an hour) and have yet to find good wet gloves. currently use teknics but i get numb spots

Last edited by aussieidiot; 12-03-2004 at 02:05 PM.
aussieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:40 PM   #10
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

i forgot to ask
space pirate- what bike do you ride? an sv650? why is that slow? most people don't need much more than 600cc and i won't start the debate over starting on high powered bikes. down under we start on 250's max

also to the newbies. this is what learing is about. get an older bike (less money to fix) and a small capacity (less speed in same stiuation).
you WILL make mistakes-we all did!
Old 12-03-2004, 03:33 PM   #11
edubarf
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to edubarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieidiot
also to the newbies. this is what learing is about. get an older bike (less money to fix) and a small capacity (less speed in same stiuation).
you WILL make mistakes-we all did!

Good point aussie. I have these gloves but there not for riding (i make em that way) anyways they are gloves that our military uses hands stay dry, gloves stays kinda dry but enough to keep ur hand slippin, and they real damn comfortable. As far as getting these gloves you can but where im not sure i got them when i was in the military. If you want I'll look for ya if you intersested in them?
edubarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 03:14 PM   #12
-]5pace.pirat3]+
AF Newbie

i know what you mean on the waiting aussie, its hard to be patient no0b on a peppy bike(thats why i got hit!) i wish i had the confidence you do in the rain, because i love that kind of weather, i slide around just turning on cold pavement and get scared

the first bike i rode was a virago 250 at the motorcycle safety foundation course (required in my state for my age) then i got the sv in my sig(still stock), its not slow (or intimidating- unless i do something stupid) i broke the shift foot peg early on and it was hard to keep it in the appropriate break-in range so i left it in a medium gear most of the time bleh gtg

the pos
Old 12-07-2004, 12:46 AM   #13
aussieidiot
Gone crazy! Back soon

the first drop is always the hardest. i still have trouble turning right.

all you can do is get as much ass-in-seat time as possible in all conditions. go to track days and push as hard as you feel comfortable. every time you go out you'll learn something and you'll soon have the confidence to do whatever you feel.

track days are the best fun whether you go hard and really push your limits or just try to learn how to corner a bit better. every time i go, the first session (20min) is just getting used to the track and conditions. only really go hard(ish) on my 4th session. just pick a company that runs the track days the way you feel comfortable. one day i went to had only two groups and they were both mixed with experts and noobs. bad mix and luckily no accidents. try to get one with graded levels and start low and move up.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Motorcycles & Choppers > Street Bikes