Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 06:40 AM   #16
rpbball28
AF Newbie

Re: Turbo the Stock V6 2.5L 24-Valve Avenger

hey guys. i just signed up for this forum thing so im still learning the thricks of the trade but i have a quick question.

Does anyone know where i can find the 6cyl engine swap for a 99 avenger?
rpbball28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #17
twiceasfastasyou
AF Newbie

Re: Turbo the Stock V6 2.5L 24-Valve Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbball28
hey guys. i just signed up for this forum thing so im still learning the thricks of the trade but i have a quick question.

Does anyone know where i can find the 6cyl engine swap for a 99 avenger?
well, im just going to ignore that this post was brought up from so long ago, because some people here seem to get very upset when a "dead" post is brought up from the grave, if you will....

but for the time that i owned the Avenger ES, the work done to it proved to create small gains, and now I can tell you it wasn't worth the money... for the 2.5L V6. I have friends who own the Eclipse GT that has the 3.0L 6G72, and they say my experience with the 2.5L similarly reflects their own, which is as follows:

i had put in the following in summary:

- Custom exhaust w/ Borla turbo II muffler & no cat (test pipe)
- Piggyback ECU w/ mappings to support increased air induction
- Steel intake piping w/ dual ram air jet vents attached to front fascia
- Adjustable cam gears set to allow for quick low gear acceleration
- Custom automatic transmission cooler w/ electric fan
- Custom-made intake manifold w/ larger, shorter runners
- Increased diameter throttle body
- Slightly larger fuel injectors w/ custom stainless steel fuel lines & rails
- Thicker aftermarket spark plug wires & appropriate plugs
- Engine bay strut tower brace/bar
- Rear seat floor strut brace
- Eibach sport springs & bushings
- Brembo rotors
- Aftermarket off-brand calipers & stainless steel brake lines
- Underdrive pulley kit

Together I spent enough money to create a forced induction custom kit for most any car, and would've had change left over to do some interior work.

The results took my 2.5L V6 6G73 0-60mph time from 8+ seconds to about 7... which is still pretty slow, especially for a 2 door coupe.

I did notice the car had some pretty decent 1st to 2nd gear transitioning. From a standstill, the engine, when floored, had much better throttle response than stock specifications. A short delay of about a whole second would occur, then the engine would kick in with a power curve from around 3 to 5700 RPM redline. With the rev limiter raised to 7k, the car's dual ram air jet system really helps the car accelerate in mid gear while cruising at a decent speed. Because of the auto tranny cooler, the shift from 1st to 2nd is VERY quick, it almost makes you believe you're driving an F1 tranny setup. But after that, you start to notice where the engine and tranny cap out.

I would say the greatest moments achieved with all these parts are when you'd be cruising around 45 mph, and you take the gas pedal to the floor. The dual ram air system feeds lots of cold, rushed air into the solid (no leaks), short intake piping, which is also assisted by a larger throttle body and larger, shorter intake runners in the manifold. 45 - 90 mph feels like nothing, and I had total confidence in taking the car further, but I didn't want to risk a speeding ticket at that speed.

So, for spending around 2200 bucks to make this car go faster, it wasn't worth it. Sure, it was fun to see a very slow, small displacing V6 do what it should be capable of doing, but I should've really saved my money... for only months down the road, my sister ended up wrecking the thing, and I landed my hands on a much more responsive (and sexier, sleeer looking) 1999 BMW 323iS coupe in black...

2.5L flat six (M52B25) w/ dual VANOS at stock settings is a pain in the ass, but once you drop money on just an intake system, ECU remap, and a freer flowing exhaust (~$600), this car does 0-60 in close to 6 seconds. I've spent around 1300 on a custom forced induction setup, and this baby does 0-60 in just a hair more than 5 seconds, tops out at 150 mph, and can rev to 7500 RPM (rated at around 350 hp)...

So I would recommend simply to save your money, sell the Avenger, and get your hands on a 6-cyl (or greater) rear wheel drive car that has a decent LSD. If you don't like the idea of paying for higher insurance for a car like a BMW, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, etc., Nissan's line of Z cars, Mazda RX-7 fC, Toyota's late 1980's Supra, or the older Audi 1.8T w/ AWD system would be things I would look at...
1999 BMW 323iS Turbo 2.5L Flat6 Black Coupe ~360bhp
(WRECKED!) 1998 Chevy Cavalier 2.2L RS
1992 Nissan 300ZX TT 3.0L V6 T-Tops Pearl White (SOLD!)
1997 Dodge Avenger ES 2.5L V6 SOHC (WRECKED!)
twiceasfastasyou is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger