Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 12:14 AM   #1
jeff workman
AF Newbie

How good is a 98 Dodge Avenger

My son is going to buy himself a 98 Avenger with 172 k miles for $4500. car is in excellent shape cosmetically and mechanically. Paint and interior is excellent. What do you think? Is $4500 way too much for this type of car? I hate to see him get taken to the cleaners on this one.
jeff workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
2.0dohc
AF Newbie

Re: How good is a 98 Dodge Avenger

They are good cars, but for a car with 175k $4500 is way too much, I would try to knock it down. I payed $2100 for my Sebring with 135k anyways I urge you to join removed by Moderator, no linking to other forums it's the Avenger/Sebring club and will help you out in the long run since it's Avenger/Sebring specific. Oh and btw my name there is 2.0dohc also, see you there.

Last edited by '97ventureowner; 08-06-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: removed link to another forum
2.0dohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:58 PM   #3
jeff workman
AF Newbie

Thanks for the response.

Well, he bought it. yep, thats right, $4500 smackaroos for a Dodge. I tried to encourage him to look at other cars (better cars) for half the price, but he would'nt listen. Typical teen I guess. But we'll just keep our fingers crossed and hope the tranny doesn't fall out on his first trip to work. I agree that $4500 is way overkill for this car. It BETTER run good for that kind of money.
jeff workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 07:59 PM   #4
2.0dohc
AF Newbie

No problem, I can't belive he payed $4500 for it though, I definantly would've tried to bargain. Anyways me being 19 myself I guess I understand where he is coming from, there are a lot of people who just don't want to follow the Honda/Toyota bandwagon, anyways if he has questions or problems tell him to join link removed byModerator- no linking to other forums. Believe it or not, Avengers/Sebrings are really just reshapened Mitsubishi Eclipses riding on a 6' longer chasis (my guess was to support a v6). So they are basically a Diamond Star Motor (DSM). Real nice cars with a sporty feel even though they aren't that quick. I hope he enjoys it, I know I love mine, I'm restoring it slowly.

Last edited by '97ventureowner; 08-06-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: removed link to another forum
2.0dohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:20 AM   #5
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

the car should be fine but you should not let him do any major mods, trust me. 4500 is def. WAY to much though.
TheStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
wafrederick
Banned

The 2.5 v6 is hard to kill and it is a very good engine.Advenger parts are hard to find in auto slvage yards.I know one problem with the transmission,the spider gear pin spits out and ruins the case if not caught in time and it is a common problem.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafrederick
The 2.5 v6 is hard to kill and it is a very good engine.Advenger parts are hard to find in auto slvage yards.I know one problem with the transmission,the spider gear pin spits out and ruins the case if not caught in time and it is a common problem.
i dont believe the type of engine was ever menitoned. but the 2.0 isnt bad either.
TheStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
Jamies_girl22
AF Newbie

Okay, I think that your son should DEFINATLY get the people to LOWER the price of the Avenger!! I bought a 1997 Dodge Avenger at the end of June this year, it only had 118 k's on it, excellent shape, a V6 it is also and ES version. Nothing is wrong with it. and it came certified AND E-tested. I only payed $4000 for it. So considering it has almost 200k I think that your son should reconsider it , or have the person who is selling it come down in price about $1000.00.
Jamies_girl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #9
hbom764
AF Newbie

I wouldn't. Avengers of any year suck for parts. You have to get alot of them online. Dealers don't even have them. Another problem is the weight. It's more than 2 tons which is too heavy for the frame. I've tried using the frame to jack my 95 up and I ended up smashing the frame. If it's an automatic the tranny is VERY high maint. A manual is ok though. Parts are expensive too.
hbom764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
dark_stealth16
AF Newbie

Yeah wow... $4500 for a car with 175k? you're kidding right? Im not even gonna start on what cars he could have gotten, with way LESS mileage than that. I bought my 96 avenger with 97k, perfect condition except for a plastic piece on the interior broken here or there, for $1500. I'm 19, it's not just teens. I know exactly how he was thinking too. "I gotta have that car." Funny part is, its only gonna last him so long. Do you think he will finish the payments before it blows up? No. And as a teen I know he will drive fast. And since he is young and wreckless (nothing personal, all teens are when they "think" they have a sports car) how long will it be before he gets into an accident? What if he goes out with some buddies next weekend, in his new whip, and he decides to showboat around and wraps the car around a tree? There goes $4500 worth in payments for a car at a junkyard. I personally wouldnt go to the junkyard and say "can I make payments on that car over there? Yeah the one crushed like it got into a fight with optimus prime?" My bet? He will be paying for a lawn ornament for probably around 2000 dollars worth in payments. And it isnt like an avenger is a wicked fast car either. Nothin special. I know my explorer was just as fast as my venge before I did anything to it (and how much does a cold air and spray paint actually add?) however, all is well. He will learn the hard way, just as I did, just as my mom tried to get me to realize, "No, you dont have to have THAT car, it may be cool but there is something better." He will regret buying it and next time he gets a car, dont be surprised to see a nice comfy buick sitting in the driveway, that you know will last for quite a while.
dark_stealth16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
Shpuker
AF Enthusiast

I'm a dodge fan and I'll boast about most being good deals but $4500 for an avenger with 175k miles? he got ripped off, 2500 would've been a pretty good deal. next time use the Kelley Blue Book Value to see how much its worth, retail price $2,775 for the top model (2dr coupe w/ v6)

Quote:
Your quote here!!!
Shpuker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
wafrederick
Banned

Chrysler also discontinued some parts on these and a part of the airbox is one.

Also do not ever rely on the Kelly Blue Book,they over price the value of a car,too high and the NADA book is more reliable

Last edited by '97ventureowner; 08-06-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Double post, member did not use EDIT button to add to his previous post.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #13
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

First off,this thread was started over 3 years ago, and laid dormant for almost a year before being resurrected. The discussion had pretty much ran it's course and I doubt any new input would do any good at this time..
wafrederick- instead of double posting, please use the EDIT button in your post to add any new info. You've been on these boards long enough to know this. I have merged your last 2 posts as they were 2 minutes apart.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger