Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 07:50 AM   #16
fiberglasscivic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to fiberglasscivic Send a message via Yahoo to fiberglasscivic
Re: Serious No BS question (no smartalic bull here)

I seriously think that if your looking to get power, looks, and do it cheap and without your parents noticing then the v6 avenger is a bad idea and the 3000GT is worse. This is just my opinion so don't flame me, but from what your saying, it sounds like you still have option to buy another car and ditch your current avenger. If that's the case then here's a few things to think about when looking at doing this. 1 A V6 just sounds more powerful than a i-4. That's a bonus for you. If your parents think good gas mileage and the car can't be all that quick then you can safely mod the i-4. 2 the i-4 has tons of advantages over the V6. It's easier to find bolt on parts because its the same as the baseline model eclipse, you get a manual tranny which means quicker starts and more control,easy to boost, less weight, easier to work on, and less custom work to gain horsepower. 3 With the 3000GT I'll assume that your going with the VR4. If your looking at anything within your price range the chances of high mileage are great and the VR4 turbos need to be replaced after 70,000 - 100,000 miles along with the head gaskets and timing belt. That's going to add up after a while. They require a lot of maintenance beyond that point. Look in the mitsubishi forums and search for information about it. If you go with a VR4, try to find one that's 50,000 miles and under. It'll make it easier for you upgrade and maintain. The other part to owning a VR4 is that the just look fast and the fact that your parents won't let you have a Trans AM Ws6 makes me think that they won't be too excited about the VR4 either. It's a quick car, even stock. Other than that the V6 is going to be a little more expensive than the I-4 to fix up, not to say that the V6 is horrible or anything (I personally drive one) it's just that it's not going to be cheap to get that 5 sec 0-60 time you want and your on a limited budget. $9000 dollars goes quick.
fiberglasscivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #17
Polygon
The Red Baron

Send a message via MSN to Polygon Send a message via Skype™ to Polygon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsinax
stage 2 can take 10, stage 3 15-18 psi

sounds cool.
the 1st thing im going to try to do is weight reduction. That car aint light, you all know that. Is there a way i can cut weight but still keep my stock interior look? Like i like my seats, dash,trim it all looks really nice i dont wish to tamper with that.

do you like my rims as they are now or should i change them as well
I don't think you need to worry about weight reduction. The car only weighs around 2,800 pounds, that isn't heavy. If you really want to remove weight then I suggest you relocate the battery to the trunk and replace the standard one with an Optima, they weigh less. You can remove sound dampening material in the car but the road noise will increase. You could also change out your wheels for some expensive lightweight wheels. Reducing your unsprung weight will make a HUGE difference.

For the most part I agree with what fiberglass civic said. However, you shouldn't have to replace the VR4 turbos that quick unless the previous owner didn't know how to take care of them.
Polygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 12:12 PM   #18
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

well show us a pic, if you did i cant see it sometimes my comp screws up tho. but i cant tell u anything about the rims if i cant see them. as far as weight reduction... dont take out the back seat, i mean thats like 5 pounds and it looks dumb. people do that and say they have weight reduction and they are idiots. also by amount of psi the stock internals could take i was talking about the piston rods and that kinda thing.
TheStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:20 PM   #19
xsinax
AF Newbie

Arrow

heres my car http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/5e2bdc4a.jpg

thanks fiberglass i heard alot about the 4cly
I talked to a guy in person, a mechanic he looks and sounds legit, he says he has an avenger 98 like mine im not sure what liter engine but he has 110 shot of nos and a turbo and he says he can/has beaten 99-04 mustang gts and such. He also says that the 3.0 on the newer eclipses and stratus r/t's can fit in my car, is this true? and if so can i turbo that?
xsinax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:30 PM   #20
TheStang00
AF Enthusiast

those rims arent bad, but i might get an inch or two bigger and get a bigger outside tire diameter to fill the wheel well in more, theres some considerable room in there, of course lowering the car will help with that some. and did u check out that body kit i showed u?
TheStang00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:08 AM   #21
fiberglasscivic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to fiberglasscivic Send a message via Yahoo to fiberglasscivic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsinax
thanks fiberglass i heard alot about the 4cly
I talked to a guy in person, a mechanic he looks and sounds legit, he says he has an avenger 98 like mine im not sure what liter engine but he has 110 shot of nos and a turbo and he says he can/has beaten 99-04 mustang gts and such. He also says that the 3.0 on the newer eclipses and stratus r/t's can fit in my car, is this true? and if so can i turbo that?
The 3.0 engine swap isn't worth the time, money, effort, or hp gain. you're still better off going with the i-4 IMO. The best thing for you to do is to look up what it will cost you to turbo your current car, and what it will cost you to turbo the i-4 with the engine replacement. Check out the Mitsu forums for info on the 420A. Don't post any new threads because all the information you'll need for turbo's and upgrades is already there. Your going to find that everyone recommends the Hahn kit and they run about 3 g's for a stage II kit. Here's where you can find it

http://www.hahnracecraft.com/auto/ec...sestg4and5.htm

the other option for turbo is to build your own custom kit. I've seen a good T3/T4 kit put together for about $900 boosting 6-12 psi. It's all up to you and how you want to spend your money but I recomend doing a lot of research so that you spend your money wisley. If you really want all the ups and downs of the i-4 versus the v6, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you or start a new thread. I just don't have time to list it all here.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:30 PM   #22
xsinax
AF Newbie

I talked to the guy this morning he gave me some info that i cant really tell but he knows a way i can have oxide in my car. From what he says, its leagal to have it installed as long as its not on... true or false?
if this is so i might be intrested in putting in an eclipse 2.0 and turboing that then putting in a 100 shot of oxide. good idea bad idea? and how much will all that cost. I will have to research nitrus oxide i dont know much about it at all, he says his 110 shot gave him 100hp gain on a raw stock engine but im not sure if thats safe... to me it sounds too cheap and too good to be true but who knows. get back to me please. thanks guys
Old 06-04-2005, 06:30 PM   #23
fiberglasscivic
AF Enthusiast

Nitrous is legal to have installed but your can't have it running through your engine while your on the street. As for the 100 shot to your stock engine, yeah you can spray once maybe twice and then you’re going to replacing your internals if not the whole thing. Nitrous is nice if you're set up for it but you can't spay large amounts and expect your stock internals to hold up, they just weren’t made for that. To do the turbo and nitrous you need to replace your fuel injectors pump and filter. You'll need to look at new pistons, rods and bearings, and an aftermarket ignition system wouldn't hurt either. For your pistons you’re going to want something low compression. The compression for the stock pistons if fine if your just going to boost 8-12 psi but you need something than your stock stuff if your going to spray nitrous. Have someone do the fine tuning because you'll have to change the timing to compensate for the turbo (and nitrous if you spray). You'll blow 9 g's by the time your done but you'll be a lot quicker and you won't have to worry about blowing your engine any time soon (Unless you go F&F style trying to spray 150 shot every 5 seconds). Like I said earlier. nitrous is nice but don't rely on it as your primary source for hp gain. Some other things to think about are your alternator, spark plugs, pulleys, belts, and all the little stuff like fluids, hoses, and gaskets. It’s somewhat involved but there is lots of help out there for DYIers and people who are new to doing engine work. Just keep searching and asking questions and you’ll find the answers one way or another.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #24
xsinax
AF Newbie

Well then ill go back to my view of cutting the nitrus oxide off. Sounds like more than its worth, plus the risk of having my car impounded if im caught.

after all this one final question

im stuck between the two
1. the exile stage II
2. 2.0 swap and turbo+manual transmission
what would be best power and moneywise
Old 06-07-2005, 01:12 AM   #25
fiberglasscivic
AF Enthusiast

I would say to stick with the swap. There are too many advantages of swapping rather than just going turbo on the v6. If I were you I would sell my car, buy another like it with the i4 and go from there. Then you don't spend money on an engine. You may even make money off the deal. That's more money that can go into upgrades not to mention the i4 has more upgrades available than the v6.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:03 AM   #26
JackDaniels386
AF Regular

you seriously don't need to go all that radical to keep up with some of those cars you mentioned. try an exhaust (headers, dual exhaust, dual mufflers, high flow cat) and a KN or AEM air intake kit to start off. It makes a huge difference, and you'll be able to tell right away. It won't come too close to a WS6, but you'll be right there with stock 3.8 camaros and firebirds. Then if you still feel you need more, try going for aftermarket performance cams from Comp Cams or someone like that, they shouldnt run you over $700. you could also get your heads ported/polished upgrade your ignition with some better wires, coil, and a MSD module. I havent really looked to see if they have underdrive pulleys for the 2.5s, but if you look you should be able to find a set for around $200, and those free up about 10-15 HP. I also havent looked into a better flowing MAF sensor for this, but it should be out there somewhere for around $350. try Jet performance products for some of this stuff. also look in Summitracing.com they should have some stuff for it too. all these simple mods shouldnt run you over $2,000 probably the exhaust upgrade, ported/polished heads and the cams being the most expensive.
JackDaniels386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 12:25 AM   #27
JackDaniels386
AF Regular

I looked around, and I also found this Venom Performance Control Module. $300 from Summit, and promises a 25% increase in horsepower. I found the K&N FIPK cold air intake kit on E-Bay for $222. I also found a Bosal cat-back exhaust system for this car for $345. I couldn't find headers for the 2.5, just the 2.0, but if you really wanted them, a custom made set shouldnt run you over $600. just with the cat back, the K&N FIPK, and that Venom Performance module, you would be able to beat some stock V6 camaros, mustangs, and firebirds.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:29 AM   #28
JackDaniels386
AF Regular

I found the underdrive pulleys too http://www.car-stuff.com/dodgepulleys.htm
Old 06-10-2005, 04:35 AM   #29
fiberglasscivic
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Serious No BS question (no smartalic bull here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaniels386
I found the underdrive pulleys too http://www.car-stuff.com/dodgepulleys.htm
I don't see anything for the 2.5L V6 only the DOCH 2.0 I-4. Have you actually driven a V6 avenger compared to an I-4 avenger. Now I'll go ahead and put the fact that yeah, I'm not the oldest and wisest person here but I own a 1996 Avenger V6 and I own a 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (same as the I-4 Avenger just a little heavier). In my experience the Eclipse has a better 0-60 time and has more available modifications than the V6 Avenger. Sure I'll agree with you that the modifications that you listed will get the V6 a significant HP gain but the problem you face is the fact that you quickly run out of bolt on mods and have to start looking into expensive mechanical work to get the V6 to keep increasing HP. If you've got full access to a mechanic's shop and a metal fab shop and you know wtf you're doing then no prob, else you're looking a paying someone else to do the dirty work for you.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:45 PM   #30
JackDaniels386
AF Regular

yea, as far as bolt-on goes, its going to be hard finding the headers and underdrive pulleys for the 2.5, and if you wanted to turbo it, a I4 would be more practical since there are so many turbo kits made for it, but check this guy's cardomain site out http://www.cardomain.com/ride/687774 yeah, thats a turboed 2.5, he did all his own custom work, all the tubing and stuff for the turbo, but I'd put that 2.5 turbo up against any 4 cylinder turboed avenger.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Avenger