Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Civic | CRX > '92-'95 Civic | EL | Civic Hybrid | Civic GX NGV
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 10:10 PM   #1
kiva
AF Newbie

Question Please recommend oil type for '01 Civic

I purchased a 2001 Civic EX coupe and I wish to know what is the best type of synthetic oil to use in it. My dealer tells me that I can only use 5W20, which to the best of my knowledge is only available in a traditional oil type. A friend of mine said I can safely use a 5W30 synthetic oil. Thanks for your recommendations in these matters.
kiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 10:51 PM   #2
ric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ric
well i personally am a mix of old school and new school when it comes to oil. some people wont use synthetic cause they believe its smoke and mirrors and others switch to it as soon as they get thier car. personally i waited a couple thousand miles before switching to synthetic because from all the data i have seen fossil oils are slightly better for aid in break in process. then went over to mobil one 5w30. alot of the other synthetics arent true synthetics at all but a blend of regular and synthetic so do be carfull upon a selection. in my civic i ran 110,000 extremely stressfull miles on mobil 1 5w30 and sold the car to my mom for a beater and it still runs almost as good as day one. although i am an oil fanatic and changed my synthetic at fossil oil hard driving intervals. you really cant go wrong with any true synthetic and you will always get the "red line" is better, "castrol" is better "mobil 1" is better people so pick which one you feel metally comforts you the best and use it.... although i would tell you to get mobil 1.
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 04:16 PM   #3
kiva
AF Newbie

Smile Thanks

Thanks for your recommendations concerning oil. I appreciate your sharing of the information.
kiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 04:43 PM   #4
Hybrid Boy
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hybrid Boy
I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 10w30 in summer, 5w30 in winter
Hybrid Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 04:32 AM   #5
pvang31019
AF Enthusiast

mobil1 10w30 here

i like naked girls:man, you're really cruel dude . You SOLD your car to your mom? I'd be hella pissed if my mom asked me to pay for all those clothes she bought me when I was younger...and the food she put in your mouth... . I think you should go apoligize right now
pvang31019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 11:05 AM   #6
ric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ric
Quote:
Originally posted by pvang31019
mobil1 10w30 here

i like naked girls:man, you're really cruel dude . You SOLD your car to your mom? I'd be hella pissed if my mom asked me to pay for all those clothes she bought me when I was younger...and the food she put in your mouth... . I think you should go apoligize right now
it was actually her idea to tell you the truth. i was alike 2 grand short of what i wanted to put down on my lude so it could be somewhat affordable for me and i wasnt having great success selling my car and trading it in was out of the question since they rape you on trade in's. i had driven it really hard but i have always taken care of it and changed everything before honda's recommended hard driving intervals. i ran a compression test on it and it did a 170 across all 4. i told her what minor things needed done to it and we worked out a price. i told her if the engine blows in it within the next year i would buy her a new engine and put it in for her. so she got a pretty good deal. not to mention she kept my 4000$ stereo which im still pissed about. so it was kinda like she helped me out, and i helped her out.
ric is offline   Reply With Quote