Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter
B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter Bravo is the Australian vesion, Bounty the New Zealand version and Drifter the South African version.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 10:11 PM   #16
Pootz22
AF Newbie

Re: Instant Complete loss of power b2000 86

So, I got a chance to check things out. I checked the neck to the air filter assembley and all was clear. I disconnected the right most hose leading into the reed assembley and put the cover on, it worked! What does that hose do and how do I fix it? I drove the truck with the air cover on and the hose disconnected and it ran fine. I just wonder if I will pull dust and small particles into the carb with the hose disconnected.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Pootz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:20 PM   #17
MishaA
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootz22
So, I got a chance to check things out. I checked the neck to the air filter assembley and all was clear. I disconnected the right most hose leading into the reed assembley and put the cover on, it worked! What does that hose do and how do I fix it? I drove the truck with the air cover on and the hose disconnected and it ran fine. I just wonder if I will pull dust and small particles into the carb with the hose disconnected.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Did you plug the opening? I guess your engine just sucks air through this opening - means the normal way is still blocked
MishaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 10:34 PM   #18
Pootz22
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaA
Did you plug the opening? I guess your engine just sucks air through this opening - means the normal way is still blocked

I did plug it with my hand when I had the cover on and there was no effect, it seems that the hose was blowing into the air assembley but I can't find anything on what it does exactly.

So in response, I would say that nothing is blocked but the hose or valve that is involved in that connection is not functioning properly. Someone lead me to believe that these three hoses work in conjunction with the exhaust by pulling clean air into the exhaust system somehow.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:47 PM   #19
MishaA
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootz22
I did plug it with my hand when I had the cover on and there was no effect, it seems that the hose was blowing into the air assembley but I can't find anything on what it does exactly.

So in response, I would say that nothing is blocked but the hose or valve that is involved in that connection is not functioning properly. Someone lead me to believe that these three hoses work in conjunction with the exhaust by pulling clean air into the exhaust system somehow.
I don't really know the details of your particular engine. I found one drawing on the internet, and it is not really clear to me what those valved do. I would be glad for you if this fixes the problem, but I really doubt it does. Plug it more seriously and give it a test drive - I think this will tell you whether you found a reason or not.
Old 11-26-2006, 07:21 AM   #20
Pootz22
AF Newbie

What I suspect the true problem is (and I am not going to like) that the CAT is blocked and pushing exhaust back through the pipe/hose into the air intake. When I disconnected the hose it stopped the exhaust from getting into the air filter area. What doesn't make sense is that the engine should still run like garbage with all the back pressure but I am not exactly sure I understand the dual CAT system on these trucks.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #21
hocbj23
AF Regular

I think that was one of my posts-i.e. the cat was plugged-and I think u r correct.The first cat(called a pre-cat) is right under the exhaust manifold and covered by that cheesy bit of tin heat shield.The second one is right under the drivers feet and i bet that is the one that is plugged up.Replace it with a magnaflow hi-flow cat(about 45 bucks) and see if that doesnt cure ur ills.If the cat is plugged ,it does cause an increase in the back pressure which will eventually burn ur exhaust valves and then the engine goes.Since when u unplug the hose to the reed valve assembly,that causes a drop in back pressure and the truck runs better.To give u an example,my truck would not run over 75 mph.I changed the cat out,tuned it up and it now is able to do 95-100 mph.Makes a difference. BJ
hocbj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:47 AM   #22
Pootz22
AF Newbie

Thanks for the advice, hopefully you weren't too put off that I disgarded your idea of the CAT but I really didnt want to deal with the exhaust in the northeast this time of year. With that said, I suspect that it is the second CAT causing the issue as the 2 right most reed valves hit the exhaust between the two CAT's.

I really appreciate everyone's input and thank all of you. I will post when I replace the CAT and the outcome.

Could you post the best vendor of the CAT you suggested for purchase please?

Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:24 AM   #23
Pootz22
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Instant Complete loss of power b2000 86

As an update, I changed the rear CAT on my truck and it now runs normal. Thank you for all the help.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #24
hocbj23
AF Regular

Great to hear that ur ride is back to normal.Be careful out there.BJ
hocbj23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:38 PM   #25
MishaA
AF Regular

Glad you fixed it And thanks for posting back

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter