Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter Bravo is the Australian vesion, Bounty the New Zealand version and Drifter the South African version.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 07:00 AM   #1
BuckR
AF Newbie

Question Loud ticking after head replacement B2600i

As a result of a cracked head, I had a replacement done and now there is a loud ticking. The shop replaced the lifters on the new head which didn't help. It is much worse when the engine is cold and lessens somewhat when it is up to operating temp. I have heard something about hydraulic lash adjusters etc.. Is there something that can be done or adjusted?
Thanks
BuckR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
sourceunkn
AF Newbie

Just a tinkerer here but I wonder if it isn't an oil starvation problem. I guess it depends on how loud the ticking is. My truck ('87 B2600) ticks rather loudly when it is first started (and I'm a half quart or so low on oil) and then lessens when it warms up. Well, I know that oil must coat those surfaces before the ticking will stop and low oil or low oil pressure can cause that.
Anyway, I'm probably wrong but I thought I'd give your post some mileage.
Good luck!
2001 Genuine Stella (150cc)
sourceunkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 05:43 AM   #3
BuckR
AF Newbie

Re: Loud ticking after head replacement B2600i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourceunkn
Just a tinkerer here but I wonder if it isn't an oil starvation problem. I guess it depends on how loud the ticking is. My truck ('87 B2600) ticks rather loudly when it is first started (and I'm a half quart or so low on oil) and then lessens when it warms up. Well, I know that oil must coat those surfaces before the ticking will stop and low oil or low oil pressure can cause that.
Anyway, I'm probably wrong but I thought I'd give your post some mileage.
Good luck!
Thanks for the reply, the shop did an oil pressure test and ruled that out. They are now replacing a lifter (under warranty) I hope that does the trick. You were not the only one with the oil pressure guess.
Thanks again,
Tom
BuckR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
ebworthen
AF Newbie

Howdy,

Be sure you are putting in the correct viscosity of oil, there is a big disclaimer in the owners manual that if you use the wrong viscosity they are not responsible for damage to the hydraulic lifters.

I tried 20W-50 way back when (like 10 years ago, my b2600i is a 1993) and the valves made some noise. I drove it for a little, then read the manual...ooops! I drained and put back in 10W-30 (I'm pretty sure) and it stopped. With miles it developed a loud tap in what sounds like one valve. I added some detergent oil cleaner and synthetic and it got a little better. My thought is that using the wrong viscosity affected the hydraulic lifters some.

So, make sure you have the right viscosity, try a synthetic or synthetic/dinosaur oil mix (I like Amsoil synthetic but Mobil 1 works), and best of luck!
ebworthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 03:26 AM   #5
CanaMark
AF Enthusiast

Re: Loud ticking after head replacement B2600i

I tracked down a loud ticking once. Changed with RPM. Turned out to be a dented oil pan. Something so easy, yet I did the timing chain. Next up was vibration dampener. Till i gazed under and saw a badly dented pan. Metal shavings is bad
CanaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 01:37 AM   #6
troyjan
AF Newbie

You sound as you are some what of an experience mechanic so I assume you have ruled out the possibilty of incorrect ignition timing.

If the vehicle sat for an extendend period of time you should consider the possibilty of poor octane quality of your fuel.

Ticking noise which decreases after engine warm up generally indicates exhaust leaks around the manifold which cease due to metal expansion from heat.
troyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
RussC
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to RussC
Check all the plug wires and coil wire. My coil wire came loose and made a very loud clicking noise as the spark jumped the gap. Truck still ran though.

RussC
RussC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #8
Seyfert
AF Newbie

I dont know if you have found the problem yet, but after I changed the head on my truck it sounded like a diesel engine. I found that the hydraulic tensioner[sic] had become stuck and the chain was slapping around the gears.
Seyfert is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mazda > B-Series/Bravo/Bounty/Drifter